Solving for x involving trig

• Thread starter kpou
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the maximum displacement occurs at x = 0.25 meter with a value of 2A, while the minimum displacement occurs at x = 0.75 meter with a value of -2A.
kpou
I have formula z(x)=2ASin(7*pi*x)Cos(3*pi*x)
I need to find the location where the displacement is max and min.

I understand how to get the differential z'(x)=A4piCos(4*pi*x)+A10piCos(10*pi*x)
Then I need to find critical points... this is where I have been having the trouble. My calculator keeps telling me my dimensions don't work, and it is really killing me. How do you solve for that = 0?

Edit: z(x) can also be written as A(Sin(4*pi*x)+Sin(10*pi*x)) if that saves you any work
Also: x is between 0 and 1meter

-----------Problem Solved----------

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The solution to finding the maximum and minimum displacement is to set the derivative of the function equal to 0 and solve for x.z'(x) = A4piCos(4*pi*x)+A10piCos(10*pi*x) = 0This equation can be simplified by dividing both sides by A:4piCos(4*pi*x)+10piCos(10*pi*x) = 0To solve this equation, we use the quadratic formula: x = [-b ± √(b2 - 4ac)]/2aWhere a = 4pi, b = 10pi and c = 0.So, x = [(-10pi) ± √(102pi2 - 0)]/2(4pi)x = [-10pi ± 0]/8pix = -1.25 or x = 0.25Since x is between 0 and 1 meter, the only valid solution is x = 0.25. Therefore, the location where the displacement is a maximum is x = 0.25 meter. At this point, z(0.25) = A(Sin(π) + Sin(5π)) = 2A. In order to find the minimum displacement, we need to find the local minimums of the function z(x). This can be done by setting the second derivative of the function equal to 0 and solving for x.z''(x) = A(-4π2Sin(4πx)+10π2Sin(10πx)) = 0We can rearrange this equation to get:Sin(4πx)=Sin(10πx)This equation has an infinite number of solutions; however, since x must be between 0 and 1 meter, the only valid solution is x = 0.75. Therefore, the location where the displacement is a minimum is x = 0.75 meter. At this point, z(0.75) = A(Sin(3π) + Sin(7π)) = -2A. Therefore, the maximum displacement is 2A and the minimum displacement is -2A.

1. What does "solving for x involving trig" mean?

When solving for x involving trig, it means using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent to find the value of x in an equation.

2. How do I solve for x using trigonometry?

To solve for x using trigonometry, you will need to use trigonometric identities and rules to manipulate the equation and isolate the variable x. Then, use inverse trigonometric functions to find the value of x.

3. What is the difference between using sine, cosine, and tangent to solve for x?

Sine, cosine, and tangent are all trigonometric functions that relate the angles of a triangle to its sides. The main difference is that sine is the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse, cosine is the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse, and tangent is the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side. Depending on the given information and the desired unknown variable, you will use a different trigonometric function to solve for x.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve for x involving trig?

Yes, you can use a scientific calculator to solve for x involving trig. Most calculators have trigonometric functions and inverse trigonometric functions built-in, making it easier to solve complex equations involving trig.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving for x involving trig?

Some common mistakes when solving for x involving trig include not using the correct trigonometric function, not using the correct inverse trigonometric function, and forgetting to check for extraneous solutions. It is also important to pay attention to the given units and convert them if necessary, and to double-check your calculations before submitting your answer.