Solving Inclined Pully Table: Acceleration & Tension

In summary, to find the acceleration and tension in this scenario, you first calculate the tension in each section of the string by considering the force of friction and the force of gravity acting on each block. In this case, the coefficient of kinetic friction is used since the blocks are already in motion. Then, using Newton's Second Law, you can find the acceleration of the system by considering the sum of the forces acting on the blocks. It is important to note that the tension in the string is constant, but there are two components to it that must be considered separately.
lames

Homework Statement

block1 2kg
block2 2.5kg

coefficient of static friction =.5
coefficient of kinetic friction= .3A)how can you find the acceleration and tension?
which coefficient do you use?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 396
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lames said:

Homework Statement

block1 2kg
block2 2.5kg

coefficient of static friction =.5
coefficient of kinetic friction= .3

A)how can you find the acceleration and tension?
which coefficient do you use?

For the Tension, you calculate the amount of tension in each section of string and add them together. The tension in T1 is calculated by the force of friction with is
[itex]F_{friction} = F_N\mu_k[/itex]

For this, you use the coefficient of kinetic friction, as I am assuming that the force is being calculated when the blocks are already moving.

So,

[itex]T = T_1 + T_2[/itex]

[itex]T_1 = F_N\mu_k[/itex]

[itex]T_1 = 5.886 N[/itex]

[itex]T_2 = mg[/itex]

[itex]T_2 = 24.525 N[/itex]

[itex]T = 30.411 N[/itex]

For the acceleration you use Newton's Second:
[itex]\Sigma\vec{F} = m\vec{a}[/itex]

The sum of the forces in the system that we are looking at is contained within the tension of the wires, so

[itex]30.411 N = (4.5 kg)a[/itex]

[itex]a = 6.758 \frac{m}{s^2}[/itex]

danielu13 said:
For the Tension, you calculate the amount of tension in each section of string and add them together. The tension in T1 is calculated by the force of friction with is
[itex]F_{friction} = F_N\mu_k[/itex]

For this, you use the coefficient of kinetic friction, as I am assuming that the force is being calculated when the blocks are already moving.

So,

[itex]T = T_1 + T_2[/itex]

[itex]T_1 = F_N\mu_k[/itex]

[itex]T_1 = 5.886 N[/itex]

[itex]T_2 = mg[/itex]

[itex]T_2 = 24.525 N[/itex]

[itex]T = 30.411 N[/itex]

For the acceleration you use Newton's Second:
[itex]\Sigma\vec{F} = m\vec{a}[/itex]

The sum of the forces in the system that we are looking at is contained within the tension of the wires, so

[itex]30.411 N = (4.5 kg)a[/itex]

[itex]a = 6.758 \frac{m}{s^2}[/itex]

are you sure those are the right answers? did you look at the picture?

lames said:
are you sure those are the right answers? did you look at the picture?
I disagree entirely with danielu3's analysis and answers.
Since the (presumed) pulley is massless, the tension, T, is the same throughout the string.
The first thing, strictly speaking, is to check that the masses will move. Will the tension overcome the static friction?
Assuming so, the two masses each undergo the same acceleration, a.
Write down the forces on each mass. What net force is required in each case to produce the acceleration a? What two equations does that give you?

Yes, the tension in the string is constant. However, there are two components to the tension in the string; one is caused by the force of gravity acting on mass 2 and the other is the force of friction acting on mass 1. I may have issues where I used a positive instead of negative. Tension is one of the things that has always caused me issues though.

danielu13 said:
Yes, the tension in the string is constant. However, there are two components to the tension in the string; one is caused by the force of gravity acting on mass 2 and the other is the force of friction acting on mass 1.
You can't add tensions like that. Consider two equal masses, m, hung over a light pulley by a string. The tension in the string is mg, not 2mg. Now make the masses unequal. What is the tension now?

These pulley problems have always confused me for some reason. If there were two unequal masses on a pulley would the tension be

[itex]T = g\frac{m_1+m_2}{2}[/itex]

?

danielu13 said:
If there were two unequal masses on a pulley would the tension be
[itex]T = g\frac{m_1+m_2}{2}[/itex]
Don't just guess, try to reason it out. Think about the acceleration.

Well, based on what you said, I was thinking that the tension is based on the even distribution of the masses, which is why I'm thinking the average of the masses. But I have some feeling that it should be g(m2-m1) since the pulley makes the gravitational forces counteract each other. Am I at least thinking in the right direction right now?

danielu13 said:
Well, based on what you said, I was thinking that the tension is based on the even distribution of the masses, which is why I'm thinking the average of the masses. But I have some feeling that it should be g(m2-m1) since the pulley makes the gravitational forces counteract each other. Am I at least thinking in the right direction right now?
Let the acceleration be a (down for the heavier, up for the lighter) and the tension be T.
Draw a free body diagram for each mass and write out the F=ma equation for each.

Related to Solving Inclined Pully Table: Acceleration & Tension

1. What is the purpose of solving inclined pulley table problems?

The purpose of solving inclined pulley table problems is to determine the acceleration and tension of an object on an inclined plane connected to a pulley system. This is often used in physics and engineering to understand the motion and forces acting on objects in real-world scenarios.

2. How do you calculate the acceleration of an object on an inclined pulley table?

The acceleration of an object on an inclined pulley table can be calculated using the formula a = (m1 - m2 * sinθ)/(m1 + m2), where m1 is the mass of the object on the inclined plane, m2 is the mass of the object hanging from the pulley, and θ is the angle of the incline.

3. What is the tension in the rope of an inclined pulley table?

The tension in the rope of an inclined pulley table can be calculated using the formula T = m2 * g * sinθ, where m2 is the mass of the object hanging from the pulley, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and θ is the angle of the incline. This formula assumes a massless, frictionless pulley.

4. How does friction affect the acceleration and tension in an inclined pulley table?

Friction on an inclined pulley table can affect the acceleration and tension by adding an additional force that must be overcome. The coefficient of friction can be included in the equations for acceleration and tension, depending on the specific scenario.

5. What are some real-world applications of inclined pulley tables?

Inclined pulley tables have various real-world applications, such as elevators, cranes, and conveyor belts. They are also used in physics experiments to study motion and forces, and in engineering to design and analyze structures and machines.