Solving Int[e^(x^2) dx] w/ Integral Tables

• Thread starter relatively_me
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, solving the integral of int[e^(x^2) dx] using integral tables involves identifying the appropriate table and corresponding formula, substituting the given function and limits of integration, and simplifying the resulting expression. This method allows for quick and accurate calculation of integrals involving complicated functions such as exponential functions. However, it is important to double-check the final answer and understand the reasoning behind the use of the table to ensure accuracy and improve problem-solving skills.
relatively_me
I'm having trouble finding an integral table w/ this integral, or understanding a method to solve it...any hints would really be appreciated (the book directs us to use integral tables)

Int[e^(x^2) dx] limits->{-inf, +inf}

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
take x^2=t and proceed by parts...its fairly simple

thanks, i'll try that now

2x*e^(x^2) + x^2*e^(x^2)?

You don't even have to calculate it to see it diverges to infinity, since exp(x^2) is a strictly increasing function on (0,inf), and is also positive for negative x.

Pietjuh said:
You don't even have to calculate it to see it diverges to infinity, since exp(x^2) is a strictly increasing function on (0,inf), and is also positive for negative x.
Are you sure the problem wasn't with a negative x2?

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-x^2}\,dx=\sqrt{\pi}[/tex]

Alex

fahd said:
take x^2=t and proceed by parts...its fairly simple

I have no idea what you mean by that! What "parts" would you use? What would be u and what dv?

As others have pointed out, the infinite integral, as stated, does not exist. If that were [tex]e^{-x^2}[/tex] then it would be possible but certainly not "fairly simple"- there is no elementary anti-derivative.

e^x^2=e^x*e^x
so
e^x=t
e^xdx=dt...replace in your exercesise and it should be easy from now on!

Yes, if I had to integrate
[tex]\int (e^x)^2dx[/tex]
I guess I could do that- although I think I would be more likely to simply write
[tex](e^x)^2= e^{2x}[/tex]
and integrate that. HOWEVER, the integral asked about was
[tex]\int e^{x^2}dx[/tex]
and it is well known that that has no elementary anti-derivative.

if you are in analysis it can be solved using riemann-stieltjes or lebesgue theory, I saw this problem before and there was a theorem we used, it has slipped my memory.

it was something like if f(x) is differentiable on [a,b] and f prime is continuous on [a,b] then you can convert the integrand to somethin easier to integrate (i forget the rest) sorry

Last edited:
Yea you can put it into http://integrals.wolfram.com and it gives you an answer that has in it the "imaginary error function", i take this to mean that the described integral won't be solvable by any normal means, so if it is just about whether or not it diverges then this is pretty simple because it is obvious that the integral diverges.

what said:
Yea you can put it into http://integrals.wolfram.com and it gives you an answer that has in it the "imaginary error function", i take this to mean that the described integral won't be solvable by any normal means, so if it is just about whether or not it diverges then this is pretty simple because it is obvious that the integral diverges.

I got this...sqrt(pi)Erfi(x)/2

What is that Erfi?

Erfi is the imaginary error function above quoted by what (cool psuedonym).

Taviii said:
e^x^2=e^x*e^x
so
e^x=t
e^xdx=dt...replace in your exercesise and it should be easy from now on!

My guess is that Tavi will think things through before typing incorrect answers, next time.

benorin said:
Erfi is the imaginary error function above quoted by what (cool psuedonym).

All my errors are imaginary!

Umm...

Related to Solving Int[e^(x^2) dx] w/ Integral Tables

1. How do I use integral tables to solve integrals?

To use integral tables, you first need to identify the type of integral you are solving. Then, find the corresponding formula or method in the integral table and apply it to your integral. Finally, evaluate the integral using the limits of integration given.

2. Can I use integral tables for all types of integrals?

No, integral tables are typically limited to basic integrals that can be solved using well-known formulas or methods. Some more complex integrals may require advanced techniques or computer software to solve.

3. How accurate are the results obtained from using integral tables?

The accuracy of the results depends on the accuracy of the integral table and the correct application of the formulas or methods. However, it is always recommended to double-check the results using another method or software for confirmation.

4. Are there any limitations to using integral tables?

Integral tables may have limitations in terms of the type of integrals they can solve and the level of accuracy. Additionally, they may not provide a step-by-step solution, which can make it difficult for beginners to understand the process.

5. How can I improve my skills in using integral tables?

To improve your skills in using integral tables, it is important to understand the underlying concepts and formulas. Practice with different types of integrals and check your results using other methods. You can also seek guidance from a tutor or online resources for further understanding.