Solving Integrals Using a Known Mac Series (Sin(x))

In summary, the conversation is about using the Maclaurin series for sin(7x^2) to evaluate an integral and estimating its value using the first two terms. The user made an error in their attempt which was corrected by another user.
HolyDesperado

Homework Statement

Assume that sin(x) equals its Maclaurin series for all x. Use the Maclaurin series for sin(7x^2) to evaluate the integral https://webwork.math.lsu.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/f4/767c0643696d085d77f9a697294a311.png

Your answer will be an infinite series. Use the first two terms to estimate its value.

Homework Equations

Inline44.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/5028/mathhelp2k.jpg

After the final step in the picture, I plugged in n=0 and 1 to get my 0th and 1st terms, then I added them together and I got: 0.754110411. This is wrong, however.. can someone please help me diagnose this problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You forgot powering the 7, you need 7^(2n+1).

Thank you, I see my error now and the suggestion lead me to a correct answer.

What is a Mac series?

A Mac series, also known as a Maclaurin series, is a representation of a mathematical function as an infinite sum of terms that are calculated from the function's derivatives at a specific point, usually 0.

How is a Mac series used to solve integrals?

A Mac series can be used to approximate the value of an integral by using the known series expansion for a particular function, such as sin(x). By substituting the series into the integral and evaluating the terms, an approximate value can be found.

Why is sin(x) commonly used in Mac series?

Sin(x) is commonly used in Mac series because it has a well-known and simple series expansion. This makes it easier to use for approximating integrals compared to other functions with more complex series expansions.

What is the process for solving integrals using a known Mac series for sin(x)?

The process for solving integrals using a known Mac series for sin(x) involves substituting the series into the integral, evaluating the terms, and then taking the limit as the number of terms approaches infinity to get an approximation for the integral value.

What are the limitations of using Mac series to solve integrals?

Mac series can only be used to approximate the value of an integral and not give an exact solution. Additionally, the series may not converge for all values of x, making it limited in its applicability. Other methods, such as numerical integration, may be more accurate for certain integrals.