Solving Projectile Motion Problems: Tips and Help for Beginners

• Thread starter sens_freak_18
  • Start date
In summary: For one separate it into vertical and horizontal components. That should help you out.H | 0 m/s^2 | 3.5 m/s | ?V | -9.81 m/s ^2 | 0 m/s | 3 mand because u have 3 terms in vertical you can find time.what about number two, I'm really confused on that one, i just can't figure out where to start.id try to do #2 but I don't have time, it takes a while to do it at least my method, but ill get u started. There might be an easier way but make vertical Vi= tan
sens_freak_18
Please any form of help would be great! Me and two friends tried to solve these problems today and we tried for more then an hour and still did not get the correct answers. I'm not asking that you just flat out give me the answers but just help me through it and give me some tips on how to solve it so that i know what I'm doing.

1)If an object with a horizontal velocity of 3.5 m/s rolls off a cliff 13.0 m above ground find:

a) the total time the object is in the air ( for this we got 1.6 but i think it is incorrect)

b)the range the object travels ( for this one we got 5.6 m, still think this is incorrect)

c) the final velocity( both magnitude and direction) (we got 15.9 m/s[down])

2) Jumping at an angle of 45 degrees to the horizontal a police officer in pursuit of a criminal leaps from the top of one building to another that is 4.5 m across and 1.0 m higher.

a)at what velocity will he have to leap to land on top of the next building?
b)how long is he in the air for?

For that one i have no clue where to start we have no velocity so I'm completely lost, I'm just asking for some help and just getting me started so i can complete the question.

Thanks Alot! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
For one separate it into vertical and horizontal components. That should help you out. :smile:

The first one seems wrong and when you get the time wrong, then everything else goes kaboom.

For one separate it into vertical and horizontal components. That should help you out. Oh don't worry I've done that, it doesn't help.

The first one seems wrong and when you get the time wrong, then everything else goes kaboom. Yeah i figured that out too, it messes everything up!
:mad:

You should have
H | 0 m/s^2 | 3.5 m/s | ?
-------------------------------
V | -9.81 m/s ^2 | 0 m/s | 3 m

and because u have 3 terms in vertical you can find time. :biggrin:

what about number two, I'm really confused on that one, i just can't figure out where to start.

id try to do #2 but I don't have time, it takes a while to do it at least my method, but ill get u started. There might be an easier way but make vertical Vi= tan 45 v, v equals the velocity.

Related to Solving Projectile Motion Problems: Tips and Help for Beginners

What is "Desperately Need Some Help"?

"Desperately Need Some Help" is a phrase commonly used to express a sense of urgency and a need for assistance or support in a particular situation. It can be used in various contexts, such as personal, professional, or academic.

Why do people use the phrase "Desperately Need Some Help"?

People use this phrase when they are facing a problem or challenge that they cannot solve on their own and require outside assistance. It is a way of expressing their urgency and seeking support from others.

What are some common situations where "Desperately Need Some Help" is used?

This phrase can be used in a variety of situations, such as when someone is dealing with a difficult personal issue, facing a complex task at work, or struggling with a challenging academic assignment. It can also be used in emergency situations where immediate help is needed.

How can one effectively communicate the need for help?

When using the phrase "Desperately Need Some Help," it is important to clearly and specifically state the problem or challenge you are facing. Be honest and open about your feelings and the urgency of the situation. It is also helpful to suggest potential solutions or ways that others can assist you.

What are some alternative ways to ask for help besides using "Desperately Need Some Help"?

There are several other ways to ask for help, such as directly stating "I need help with [specific problem]" or using a more general phrase like "I could use some support right now." It is also helpful to be specific about the type of help you need, whether it is advice, emotional support, or practical assistance.