Solving Special Relativity Problem w/ Two Spaceships

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving two spaceships moving at 0.5c in opposite directions. The experiment begins with the ships L apart, and the time to collision is determined. The conversation also mentions transforming to the rest frame of one of the ships and considering where the moving ship is at the same time as the stationary ship thinks the experiment starts. However, it is not clear what specific question is being asked or what difficulty or paradox is being encountered.
universal2013
Hello there. In class, our teacher solved one question and asked us what did we wrong specifically in the solution because there were two sets of them. Two spaceships are moving through +x and -x and there is a distance L between them. From one observer which is stationary in the line of L/2 sees both spaceships move with 0.5 c and they will collide in some time. We find the collision time dL/dt = -[0.5c+0.5c] = c
and from spaceships' reference frame we find the velocity of the second spaceship with Lorentz transformation by c/1.25 = 0.8 c. The eye which is stationary would see the collision time = L/c and the observer in the spaceship would see this L' x 1.25/c . When we multiply with the gamma factor we got a wrong equality. We solved the problem from a different way but what i could not catch is why the equation did not hold ? I started to think maybe the wrong part is that we write c in Lorentz transformation maybe this is the mistake but i could not find any clues that strongly supported my idea. Thanks you !

Physics news on Phys.org
I’m sorry, but your post is difficult to parse. It is not clear to me exactly what it is you are asking and exactly what you are finding difficult or paradoxical.

I think what you have is a frame in which the ships are each moving at 0.5c in opposite directions. The experiment starts when the ships are ##L## apart in this frame and you determine the time to collision. Then you transform to the rest frame of one of the ships and try to determine the time to collision from the start of the experiment as measured in this frame. Is that correct?

In that case, did you think about where the moving ship is at the same time as the stationary ship thinks the experiment starts?

Likes universal2013
Please post this in a homework forum, filling out the template.

Thread closed.

1. What is the special theory of relativity?

The special theory of relativity, also known as special relativity, is a scientific theory developed by Albert Einstein in 1905. It describes the relationship between space and time and how they are affected by the motion of objects in the universe.

2. How does special relativity affect two spaceships moving at different speeds?

Special relativity predicts that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This means that the two spaceships will experience time dilation and length contraction, and their measurements of space and time will differ from each other.

3. What is the "twin paradox" in special relativity?

The "twin paradox" is a thought experiment that illustrates the effects of time dilation in special relativity. It involves two twins, one of whom stays on Earth while the other travels through space at high speeds. When the traveling twin returns to Earth, they will have aged less than their twin who stayed on Earth due to the effects of time dilation.

4. How can we solve special relativity problems with two spaceships?

To solve special relativity problems with two spaceships, we can use the equations and principles of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction. We can also use the Lorentz transformation equations to convert measurements from one reference frame to another.

5. What are some real-world applications of special relativity?

Special relativity has many practical applications, including GPS technology, particle accelerators, and nuclear power plants. It also helps us understand the behavior of objects traveling at high speeds, such as spacecraft and particles in the universe.