Solving Springs Problem: Force of Block 47, Combined Spring Constant?

• Thread starter johnny872005
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Springs
In summary, Dan was having difficulty with a problem where he was asked to find the combined spring constant for two springs, one of which was larger than the other. He was able to find the answer by understanding the forces acting on the object and using the equation for combined force.
johnny872005
ok guys I'm working on this problem:

http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/1457/b15bf.jpg

now, I think the answer is 7.0149 because the force of the block is 47, and when u divide by the bigger spring constant, 6.7, u get 7.0149
The other one expands more. I think the question is worded weird... is this right?

also, how exactly would I go about solving for the combined spring constant?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Both springs will exert a force on the block, you need to find the value of x such that the sum of their forces counteracts the gravitational force.

sorry, but I still don't get it. I understand what you're saying, but my main problem is, in my mind, I see the block being crooked

I think you're right, that could happen. I don't think the problem intends for you to take that tact though, there's no information given on the relative distances of the springs from the center of the rod. You'd have to take into account the torques exerted by the springs about the rod's CM, and for that you'd need to know how far they are. I say comfort yourself in the fact that the spring with the smaller spring constant seems to be further out, so it'll be exerting a smaller force with a larger distance from the CM which could make up for it in terms of torque.

In short, ignore the rotation problem :wink:

still lost lol. So do I just use the smaller one? What is wrong with my math in my first post?

Draw a free body diagram for the rod. You have three forces acting on it, one for each spring and one for the force of gravity. If the rod isn't accelerating the sum of all the forces acting on it is equal to zero.

By the way, while re-reading the problem I noticed that it explicitly states that "the 47N weight stretches each spring equally" so don't worry about any possibility of it being at an angle.

dicerandom said:
Draw a free body diagram for the rod. You have three forces acting on it, one for each spring and one for the force of gravity. If the rod isn't accelerating the sum of all the forces acting on it is equal to zero.

By the way, while re-reading the problem I noticed that it explicitly states that "the 47N weight stretches each spring equally" so don't worry about any possibility of it being at an angle.

For the record:
[tex]F_1=k_1x[/tex]
[tex]F_2=k_2x[/tex]
[tex]F_1+F_2=47N[/tex]
Three equations, three unknowns.

-Dan

Related to Solving Springs Problem: Force of Block 47, Combined Spring Constant?

1. What is the formula for calculating the combined spring constant?

The formula for calculating the combined spring constant is k = k1 + k2 + ... + kn, where k1, k2, ..., kn are the individual spring constants.

2. How do I find the force of a block attached to multiple springs?

To find the force of a block attached to multiple springs, you can use the formula F = -kx, where k is the combined spring constant and x is the displacement from the equilibrium point. You can then use this force to calculate the acceleration of the block using F = ma, where m is the mass of the block.

3. Can the combined spring constant be negative?

Yes, the combined spring constant can be negative if the individual spring constants have different signs. This indicates that the springs are acting in opposite directions.

4. How do I know which direction the force is acting in?

The direction of the force can be determined by the direction of the displacement from the equilibrium point. If the displacement is positive, the force is acting in the opposite direction, and if the displacement is negative, the force is acting in the same direction.

5. What happens if one of the springs in the system is not in its equilibrium state?

If one of the springs in the system is not in its equilibrium state, it will affect the overall force and displacement of the block. This can be taken into account by adjusting the individual spring constants in the formula for the combined spring constant.