Solving x^3-6xy+6=0: Implicit Diff. or Quotient Rule?

• Thread starter erik05
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a given equation using implicit differentiation or solving for y explicitly and using the Quotient Rule for its derivative. The speaker recommends proceeding with differentiation and dividing the numerator by the denominator. They also clarify that implicit differentiation works just as well as direct differentiation but the sign may be incorrect in the implicit differentiation solution. The correct answer is determined to be \frac{x^3-3}{3x^2}.
erik05
If you have an equation such as this:

[tex] x^3-6xy+6=0 [/tex]

Would you solve this equation with implicit differentiation or could you solve for y to get [tex]y= \frac {x^3+6}{6x} [/tex] and then use the Quotient Rule to solve for its derivative? Just need some clarification...thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you don't know the theorem of implicit functions,then it's reccomendable to do the explicitation...In your case,it's fortunately unique...

Proceed with the differentiation.It's much useful to divide the numerator through the denominator...No need for quotient rule.

Daniel.

But you still could use the Quotient Rule I'm assuming? This question was on a calculus test I had today and I worked it out both ways,with implicit and solving it explicitly and I got different answers. Implicit I got:

[tex] \frac {6y-3x^2}{6x} [/tex]

Explicit,using the Quotient Rule I got:

[tex] \frac {x^3-3}{3x^2} [/tex]

Or perhaps, both these answers are wrong and I should be hoping for pity marks right now. *sigh* I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance.

The second answer is the correct one...

Daniel.

Just to clarify: implicit differentiation works just as well as direct differentiation- but you have the sign wrong in your implicit differentiation.

If x3- 6xy+ 6= 0 then, differentiating both sides with respect to x:

3x2- 6y- 6xy'= 0 so 6xy'= 3x2- 6y and

[tex]y'= \frac{3x^2- 6y}{6x}[/tex]

Since [itex]y= \frac{x^3+ 6}{6x}[/itex] , [itex]6y= \frac{x^3+ 6}{x}[/itex],
[itex]3x^2- 6y= \frac{3x^4- x^3- 6}{x}= \frac{2x^3- 6}{x}[/itex] and so
[tex]y'= \frac{2x^3- 6}{6x}= \frac{x^3- 3}{3x^2}[/tex]
exactly what you got by using direct differentiation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the clarification :smile:

Related to Solving x^3-6xy+6=0: Implicit Diff. or Quotient Rule?

1. What is the difference between implicit differentiation and quotient rule?

Implicit differentiation is a method used to find the derivative of a function when the dependent variable is not explicitly given in terms of the independent variable. On the other hand, quotient rule is a specific formula used to find the derivative of a quotient of two functions.

2. How do I know when to use implicit differentiation or quotient rule when solving a problem like x^3-6xy+6=0?

If the given equation involves a quotient of two functions, then quotient rule should be used. If the dependent variable is not explicitly given in terms of the independent variable, then implicit differentiation should be used.

3. Can I use both implicit differentiation and quotient rule in solving x^3-6xy+6=0?

Yes, it is possible to use both methods in solving for the derivative of x^3-6xy+6=0. However, it may not always be necessary to use both methods as one method may be more efficient in certain cases.

4. Is there a specific order in which I should use implicit differentiation or quotient rule?

There is no specific order in which these methods should be used. It is up to the individual to determine which method would be more efficient in solving the problem at hand.

5. Are there any specific tips or tricks for using implicit differentiation or quotient rule?

One tip for using implicit differentiation is to always use the chain rule when differentiating the dependent variable. For quotient rule, it is helpful to remember the formula and to simplify the expression before taking the derivative.