Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spawn has mono

1. May 12, 2006 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The Spawn of Evo has mono and is pretty sick. Of course, what is the first thing I do when I go over there? I accidently picked up her can of soda and drank it. :surprised That's how I got mono and ended up in the hospital last time.

I guess I'd better check with the doctor, it's probably too late to do anything. :frown:

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2006 #2
    This girl is always getting sick :frown:

4. May 12, 2006 #3

Evo

5. May 12, 2006 #4
    That's too bad, I'll have to share this plate of crabcakes with moonbear now....

6. May 12, 2006 #5

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What's mono?

7. May 12, 2006 #6

russ_watters

mononucleosis. Aka, 'the kissing disease', since that is a common mode of infection.

8. May 12, 2006 #7

Evo

Mono, short for mononucleosis, is caused by an infection with the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV), a virus in the herpes family of viruses.

When a person first notices symptoms, he or she may have 3-5 days of headache and feeling tired, followed by fever, sore muscles, headache, sore throat, and loss of appetite. Two indicators that someone may have something more than a cold or the flu are feeling tired all the time, and having swollen lymph nodes (glands) in the neck, under the arms, and around the groin. Some people also have an enlarged liver or spleen.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

9. May 12, 2006 #8

cronxeh

Gold Member

So thats where the 'i dont kiss them on the lips' started :biggrin:

hey HEY HEY put that gun away, Evo..

10. May 12, 2006 #9

Astronuc

Get immediate treatment. I heard recently of a possible link between mononucleosis (EBV) and multiple sclerosis. :frown:

http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/DS/00352.html

http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/EpsteinBarrvirus.html

It may be more an issue for adolescents and young adults, rather than later in life. :frown:

11. May 12, 2006 #10

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ahhh!

My medic mate got glandular fever a few years back. His head and bollocks swelled up to about three times their normal size.

12. May 12, 2006 #11

wolram

Gold Member

It gets worse, i have just been reading about them herpis, orible little beggars, and now this.

I hope you have NOT caught it Evo, maybe all the other bugs you have had
    will kill it.

13. May 12, 2006 #12

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Evo, if you've already had mono you won't likely get sick of it again since your body has raised immunity. I hope your daughter recovers soon.

14. May 12, 2006 #13

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I used to belong to this BBS service, and someone said online that he thought he's getting mono, and a person responded right after him by asking "Why aren't you getting stereo instead?"

:)

Hope Spawn gets better soon. Tell her she'll get to go with you to Disney World in Sept, Evo! :)

Zz.

15. May 12, 2006 #14

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: har har har

My brother had mono and never knew it. I think the Dr. had decided to do some blood tests to make sure his liver was ok and that's how he found out.

16. May 12, 2006 #15

Pengwuino

Gold Member

It just doesn't end with you does it Evo....

I think your spawn has some explaining to do too :biggrin:

17. May 12, 2006 #16

Danger

Gold Member

I suppose that if you have to have something from the Herpes family, that's one of the less offensive ones. :uhh:

18. May 12, 2006 #17
    I had mono a few years ago and was told by my doctor that in order to get mono there are quite a few things that need to happen. If you are not run down and your immune system is good you likely won't get it. I also recall that E.B. virus lives in your body all the time. Seems like it is in the sinus or nasal cavity or something? It is kept in check though, if it gets loose so to speak, you get mono.

19. May 12, 2006 #18

Mk

So, uh, which was it? Sharing saliva or blood? Drinking after somebody? Oh my god, was she eating utensils? Eating needles?? :surprised

20. May 12, 2006 #19

Evo

Yeah, she was probably eating utensils and needles. :bugeye:

21. May 13, 2006 #20

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I had mono during my senior spring break in high school. That sucked. My friends went skiing at Snowbird and I sat at home.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?