Is My Calculation of Lorentz Transformation Correct for Δx and Δt'?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving the Lorentz factor and determining the sequence of events in different reference frames. The speaker has worked out some calculations and has made assumptions about the order of events in the observer's reference frame. They are seeking help in understanding how to incorporate the speed of the observer into their calculations. The conversation ends with a suggestion to consider the relativity of simultaneity and the fact that the GE frame is the one in motion.
elevenb

Homework Statement

t6bedi.jpg

Homework Equations

gif.gif

gif.gif

gif.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

Hey, I would really appreciate some help with this. I have worked out the Lorentz factor to be 5.025. Am I right to assume that Δx = 200000km, and Δt' = 1.2s and I have to work out Δt and Δx'?

If these are correct I have worked out Δt to be 0.8926 and Δx' to be -3.12(*10^8)? It doesn't seem right..

Physics news on Phys.org
##\gamma=5.025## yes.
You have not defined your variables or explained your method so I cannot tell what you hoped to find.

Take a step back and consider - the observer is A, the planets are E and G (saves typing).
A,E,G are in a line ... A saw the flash from E first and from G second ... what is the sequence of events?
Can you construct the timeline in A's reference frame?

Simon Bridge said:
##\gamma=5.025## yes.
You have not defined your variables or explained your method so I cannot tell what you hoped to find.

Take a step back and consider - the observer is A, the planets are E and G (saves typing).
A,E,G are in a line ... A saw the flash from E first and from G second ... what is the sequence of events?
Can you construct the timeline in A's reference frame?

The line is A,G,E no? Well if I go purely by intuition, I would assume that in A's reference frame E fired first, and then G fired in reply. Which would make sense at non relativistic speeds. I just am not sure how I bring the speed of A into it to find out who fired first in E and G's frame of reference. (Which is what I am looking for?)

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out for help with your homework on special relativity. It looks like you have made some good progress so far by calculating the Lorentz factor and trying to apply it to find Δt and Δx'. However, it's important to keep in mind that the Lorentz factor is only one part of the special relativity equations, and it's important to use all of the relevant equations to find the correct solutions.

In this case, it seems like you are trying to use the equations for time dilation and length contraction, which are both affected by the Lorentz factor. However, it's important to also consider the frame of reference and the relative velocity between the two frames when using these equations.

Without more information about the specific problem and what is being asked, it's difficult for me to provide a more specific response. I would recommend going back to the original problem statement and making sure you understand what is being asked and what information is given. Then, try to identify which equations are relevant and make sure you are using them correctly.

I hope this helps and good luck with your homework! If you have any further questions, feel free to ask for clarification.

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that describes the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravity. It explains how the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, regardless of their relative velocity.

2. How is special relativity different from general relativity?

Special relativity deals with the laws of physics in the absence of gravity, while general relativity incorporates gravity into the equations. Special relativity also only applies to objects moving at constant velocities, while general relativity can account for objects accelerating or moving in gravitational fields.

3. What are the key principles of special relativity?

The key principles of special relativity include the constancy of the speed of light, the relativity of simultaneity, time dilation, and length contraction. These principles show that space and time are relative and interconnected, and that they can be influenced by the observer's motion and the speed of light.

4. How is time affected by special relativity?

Special relativity states that time is not absolute and can be experienced differently by observers in relative motion. Time dilation, where time appears to slow down for objects moving at high speeds, is one of the key consequences of special relativity. This has been confirmed through experiments and has important implications for space travel and GPS technology.

5. Can you give an example of special relativity in action?

One famous example of special relativity in action is the Twin Paradox, where one twin travels at high speeds in space while the other stays on Earth. After the traveling twin returns, they will have aged less than the twin who stayed on Earth, due to time dilation. This demonstrates the relativity of time and how it can be affected by the observer's motion.