1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Special Relativity - Help!

1. Oct 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    t6bedi.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    gif.gif
    gif.gif
    gif.gif

3. The attempt at a solution
    Hey, I would really appreciate some help with this. I have worked out the Lorentz factor to be 5.025. Am I right to assume that Δx = 200000km, and Δt' = 1.2s and I have to work out Δt and Δx'?

If these are correct I have worked out Δt to be 0.8926 and Δx' to be -3.12(*10^8)? It doesn't seem right..

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

##\gamma=5.025## yes.
    You have not defined your variables or explained your method so I cannot tell what you hoped to find.

Take a step back and consider - the observer is A, the planets are E and G (saves typing).
    A,E,G are in a line ... A saw the flash from E first and from G second ... what is the sequence of events?
    Can you construct the timeline in A's reference frame?

4. Oct 5, 2014 #3
    The line is A,G,E no? Well if I go purely by intuition, I would assume that in A's reference frame E fired first, and then G fired in reply. Which would make sense at non relativistic speeds. I just am not sure how I bring the speed of A into it to find out who fired first in E and G's frame of reference. (Which is what I am looking for?)

5. Oct 6, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted