Special Relativity: Constant Speeds or More Complex GRT?

In summary, the conversation discusses the validity of Special Relativity (SR) and General Relativity (GR) for observers with varying velocities. The book suggests that SR is only valid for fixed velocities, while GR is more complex but can handle varying velocities. One person suggests that the book is wrong, but another points out that SR can handle non-inertial observers. The conversation ends with the confirmation that SR can handle non-inertial frames as long as spacetime is flat.
kent davidge
I'm reading the online version of a book that says
SRT is only valid if observers move at fixed velocities with respect to each other. To handle observers whose relative velocities may vary requires the more general but also more complex GRT
Rindler observer comes right into my mind when I read this. So I think the book is wrong. What do you all think?

On a second guess, perhaps the author takes the view that SR is only for constant speeds in the same sense that one could say that Newtonian mechanics is only for inertial frames, in that only in inertial frames Newton's law works.

If that is the case, then the part I quoted above is not wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Acceleration is fine. SR cannot handle tidal gravity.

Likes kent davidge
kent davidge said:
I'm reading the online version of a book

What book?

kent davidge said:
I think the book is wrong.

You think correctly.

kent davidge said:
perhaps the author takes the view that SR is only for constant speeds in the same sense that one could say that Newtonian mechanics is only for inertial frames, in that only in inertial frames Newton's law works

Newton's laws work fine in non-inertial frames; you just have to add fictitious forces.

Likes kent davidge
As noted, SR can handle non-inertial observers and non-inertial frames. It is limited only by the requirement that spacetime must be flat.

Thread will remain closed.

Likes vanhees71

Related to Special Relativity: Constant Speeds or More Complex GRT?

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that explains how objects move at constant speeds in a vacuum and how time and space are relative to the observer.

2. How does special relativity differ from general relativity?

Special relativity deals with objects moving at constant speeds in a vacuum, while general relativity includes the effects of gravity and acceleration on the movement of objects.

3. What is the concept of time dilation in special relativity?

Time dilation is the phenomenon where time appears to pass slower for objects moving at high speeds. This is due to the fact that time is relative to the observer and is affected by the speed of the object.

4. How does special relativity challenge our understanding of time and space?

Special relativity challenges the traditional Newtonian view of time and space as absolute and instead suggests that they are relative to the observer and can be affected by the speed and gravity of objects.

5. What are some practical applications of special relativity?

Special relativity has been used in the development of technologies such as GPS and particle accelerators. It also plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe and the behavior of objects at high speeds.