Special Relativity spaceship problem

In summary: Stanley reads 0.400 seconds on his timer at the instant mavis reads 0.400 seconds on her timer, then the two timers are synchronized.
Mathematicsresear

Homework Statement

Mavis boards a spaceship and zips Stanley on Earth a constant speed of 0.600c at the instant mavis passes, both start timers.

At the instant mavis reads 0.400 s on her timer, what does Stanley read on his?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

since time from an stationary observer = gamma proper time, so the dilated time is 0.400s/the gamma factor which gives 1/2, why is this wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your relevant equation (oops, it was erased ?) How do you calulate ##\gamma## ?

Hello.

The question is ambiguous to me. You could interpret the question in at least two non-equivalent ways:

(i) What is the reading of Stanley's timer at an instant that is simultaneous with Mavis' timer reading 0.400 s according to simultaneity as defined by Mavis?

(ii) What is the reading of Stanley's timer at an instant that is simultaneous with Mavis' timer reading 0.400 s according to simultaneity as defined by Stanley?

TSny said:
Hello.

The question is ambiguous to me. You could interpret the question in at least two non-equivalent ways:

(i) What is the reading of Stanley's timer at an instant that is simultaneous with Mavis' timer reading 0.400 s according to simultaneity as defined by Mavis?

(ii) What is the reading of Stanley's timer at an instant that is simultaneous with Mavis' timer reading 0.400 s according to simultaneity as defined by Stanley?
Whats the difference between the two? The answer considers 0.400seconds as the one that is not dilated, which is what I'm confused about.

TSny said:
Hello.

I said thatAccording to Stanley, Marvis passes him, and according to Marvis, Stanley passes her. Therefore according to Marvis the dilated time is Stanleys time, is that correct?

Mathematicsresear said:
I said thatAccording to Stanley, Marvis passes him, and according to Marvis, Stanley passes her. Therefore according to Marvis the dilated time is Stanleys time, is that correct?
Each person would say that the other person's timer runs slow compared to their own.

Mathematicsresear said:
Whats the difference between the two? The answer considers 0.400seconds as the one that is not dilated, which is what I'm confused about.
As I read it, there is nothing in the statement of the problem that implies that the 0.400 seconds is not dilated. For Mavis, this time is not dilated (i.e. it is not "slowed"). But for Stanley, it is dilated (or slowed).

TSny said:
Each person would say that the other person's timer runs slow compared to their own.
I said thatAccording to Stanley, Marvis passes him, and according to Marvis, Stanley passes her. Therefore according to Marvis the dilated time is Stanleys time is that correct?

Mathematicsresear said:
I said thatAccording to Stanley, Marvis passes him, and according to Marvis, Stanley passes her. Therefore according to Marvis the dilated time is Stanleys time is that correct?
Yes, that's correct. But, according to Stanley, Marvis' time is dilated. Both views are valid.

For these types of problems, it's a good idea to think in terms of specific "events". Events occur at specific locations. The instant that Mavis' clock "strikes" 0.400 s is an event and this event occurs at the location of Mavis' timer (that she is carrying with her). We can label this event "E1". Likewise, each specific reading of Stanley's timer is an event located at Stanley's location. The question asks for the time that Stanley reads on his timer when Mavis reads 0.400 s on her timer. This is the same as asking for which event at Stanley's location is simultaneous with event E1 (which occurs at a different location). But Mavis and Stanley are not going to agree in general on the simultaneity of events. In particular, they are not going to agree on which reading of Stanley's clock is simultaneous with Mavis' clock striking 0.400 s.

The wording of the question is, "At the instant mavis reads 0.400 s on her timer, what does Stanley read on his?" I suppose that this could imply that we are asking Stanley to look at his timer at the instant he would consider Mavis' timer as reading 0.400 s. If so, then there is no ambiguity and there is a definite answer. But, it seems to me that the question could also be interpreted as asking for what time Mavis would say that Stanley sees on his timer at the instant her own timer reads 0.400 s. Perhaps most people would take one of these interpretations as being the more natural interpretation.

Anyway, if the question had asked, "At the instant Mavis' timer reads 0.400 s, what does Stanley's timer read?", then it would definitely be ambiguous.

1. What is the Special Relativity spaceship problem?

The Special Relativity spaceship problem is a thought experiment that explores the effects of Einstein's theory of special relativity on objects moving at high speeds. It involves two spaceships, one moving at a constant speed and the other accelerating, to demonstrate the concept of time dilation and the relativity of simultaneity.

2. How does time dilation work in the Special Relativity spaceship problem?

Time dilation refers to the phenomenon where time appears to pass slower for objects moving at high speeds. In the Special Relativity spaceship problem, the spaceship moving at a constant speed will experience time moving slower compared to the stationary observer on Earth. This is due to the fact that the faster an object moves, the more time slows down for that object according to the theory of special relativity.

3. What is the relativity of simultaneity in the Special Relativity spaceship problem?

The relativity of simultaneity is the idea that two events that appear simultaneous to one observer may not appear simultaneous to another observer due to differences in their relative motion. In the Special Relativity spaceship problem, the two spaceships will have different perspectives on when events occur due to their different speeds, demonstrating the relativity of simultaneity.

4. Can the Special Relativity spaceship problem be applied in real-life scenarios?

Yes, the Special Relativity spaceship problem is often used in real-life scenarios, such as in GPS systems, where satellites moving at high speeds experience time dilation and need to adjust their clocks accordingly to stay synchronized with devices on Earth.

5. What are some other important concepts related to the Special Relativity spaceship problem?

Other important concepts related to the Special Relativity spaceship problem include length contraction, where objects appear shorter in the direction of their motion, and the relativity of simultaneity, where two events that appear simultaneous to one observer may not appear simultaneous to another observer due to differences in their relative motion.