Specific charge. Don't understand how to convert to Coulombs

In summary: Without knowing the number of electrons that have been lost or gained, it is impossible to answer this question.
orgla

Homework Statement

An ion of a magnesium isotope has A=24 and Z=12. Find the specific charge

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the charge of a proton in Coulombs is [tex]1.60\times10^{-19}[/tex]. From the information given, I know that I have 12 protons and [tex] 24-12=12 [/tex] neutrons. Neutrons have no charge so I can ignore them. Therefore my charge is [tex] 12 \times 1.60\times10^{-19} = 1.92\times10^{-18} [/tex]

This is very wrong. My answer should be [tex] +3.2\times10^{-19} [/tex]

I know that the mass of a proton is [tex]1.67\times10^{-27} [/tex] which is equal to a neutron. From the information given I have 24 nucleons and so a mass of [tex] 24\times1.67\times10^{-27} = 4.008\times10^{-26}[/tex].

This is very wrong. My answer should [tex]3.98\times10^{-26}[/tex]

I realize that electrons have charge and mass too, and in a stable atom, equal the number of protons. Persumably, if this is an ion, it's lost/gained some electrons and so is not stable. So I don't know how to tell how many electrons there are in this atom.

Thank you very much for reading. I hope someone can sort out this confusion!

Charlie.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
orgla said:
I realize that electrons have charge and mass too, and in a stable atom, equal the number of protons. Persumably, if this is an ion, it's lost/gained some electrons and so is not stable. So I don't know how to tell how many electrons there are in this atom.

Charlie.

This list of common ions should help you to find the number of electrons in Magnesium ion.
http://www.rose.edu/faculty/Aslagle/ion%20list.pdf"

Last edited by a moderator:
shramana said:
This list of common ions should help you to find the number of electrons in Magnesium ion.
http://www.rose.edu/faculty/Aslagle/ion%20list.pdf"

I'm sorry but that hasn't helped me. I don't understand what means what in that document. This is a very basic A level physics question. Ions haven't been introduced. I only knew what I mentioned in the previous post from GCSE studies.

An ion is an atom or molecule which has lost or gained one or more electrons, giving it a positive or negative electrical charge.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion"

Magnesium ion = Mg2+, which means that it has lost two electrons or has +2 (positive) charge.

Would I be right in thinking that without being given how many electrons have been gained/lost, this question can not be answered without a further understanding of ions? If so I might have wasted some time here as the question was an example in my book and the charge and mass were given. I just didn't understand where the numbers came from.

If this is the case I'm terribly sorry for wasting your time.

Charlie.

shramana said:
An ion is an atom or molecule which has lost or gained one or more electrons, giving it a positive or negative electrical charge.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion"

Magnesium ion = Mg2+, which means that it has lost two electrons or has +2 (positive) charge.

Oh I see, so with that knowledge you arrive at the answer by 2 x 1.60-19[\sup] = 3.2 x10-19[\sup].

Is this how it's done?

orgla said:
Would I be right in thinking that without being given how many electrons have been gained/lost, this question can not be answered without a further understanding of ions? If so I might have wasted some time here as the question was an example in my book and the charge and mass were given. I just didn't understand where the numbers came from.

If this is the case I'm terribly sorry for wasting your time.

No matter :smile:

orgla said:
Oh I see, so with that knowledge you arrive at the answer by 2 x 1.60-19[\SUP] = 3.2 x10-19[\SUP].

Is this how it's done?
Charlie.

Yes, this is right.

Related to Specific charge. Don't understand how to convert to Coulombs

1. What is specific charge?

Specific charge, also known as charge-to-mass ratio, is a physical quantity that describes the ratio of electric charge to mass for a given particle. It is often denoted by the symbol "q/m" and has the unit of coulombs per kilogram (C/kg).

2. How do you calculate specific charge?

To calculate specific charge, you need to know the electric charge (in coulombs) and the mass (in kilograms) of the particle. Then, simply divide the charge by the mass to get the specific charge value in C/kg.

3. What is the significance of specific charge?

The specific charge of a particle is a fundamental property that is used to classify and identify different types of particles, such as protons, electrons, and ions. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of charged particles in electric and magnetic fields.

4. How do you convert specific charge to coulombs?

To convert specific charge to coulombs, you need to know the mass of the particle in kilograms and the specific charge in C/kg. Simply multiply the specific charge by the mass to get the charge value in coulombs.

5. Can specific charge be negative?

Yes, specific charge can be negative. This indicates that the particle has a negative charge-to-mass ratio, which is the case for electrons. However, in most cases, specific charge is a positive value and is used to represent the charge-to-mass ratio for positively charged particles.