What are the correct labels for frequency and displacement in a wave graph?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding the correct value for speed in a given equation. It is determined that the issue lies in using the incorrect frequency, and the correct value is found by using the correct frequency and distance in the equation. The use of labels is also discussed as a potential source of confusion.
desmond iking

Homework Statement

my working is as in the photo which is v=f X wavelength = 0.4 X 0.04= 0.16 ... but the ans given is 0.10m/s

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• IMG_20140629_075737[1].jpg
    IMG_20140629_075737[1].jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_20140629_075825[1].jpg
    IMG_20140629_075825[1].jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 431
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ever look at the dimension of speed and compared to the dimension of your answer ?

Oh, and use the template, please. If you'd done so you would have discovered where you went off the rails. (And never have posted in the first place, thus robbing me of a chance to promote the use of the template. All bad things have a bright side :smile:).

If you have time left, read the guidelines too...

The value you got for the frequency f is not correct.

Also 0.4 * 0.04 = 0.16 isn't a correct equation.

sorry... my working should be ( (40X10^-3 )X (4X10^-3) )/100= 0.016 m/s .. which part is wrong?

Your second diagram is not clear. Distance in what?

Ignore the question. Found my mistake.

adjacent said:
Your second diagram is not clear. Distance in what?
How about betting on mm ?

But poor Des is still looking at the wrong frequency. He may be confused by the label on the x-axis of graph a.

Des: you see there one full period ends at the number 40. that is the period divided by ms.

Meaning: ##{period \over ms} = 40\, ## so that period = ??
What is the dimension of frequency ?
- - - -

Graph b x-axis label is distance / mm but there he has no problem extracting ##\lambda## = 4 mm.

Des: Now, do you see where you ended up upside down ?

- - - -

Personally I think the labels are quite correct, but in my own work I use labels like "Displacement in cm" and "Time in ms" that (I hope) are less confusing than the correct labels.

(But then, I am not a teacher / pedagogics expert. Any opinions/experience from the field?)

[edit] woke up after some soccer. Des is happy. My opinions question stands.

Related to What are the correct labels for frequency and displacement in a wave graph?

What is the speed of transverse waves?

The speed of transverse waves is the rate at which these waves travel through a medium. It is typically denoted by the letter "v" and is measured in meters per second (m/s).

How is the speed of transverse waves calculated?

The speed of transverse waves can be calculated by multiplying the wavelength of the wave (lambda) by its frequency (f). This can be expressed as v = lambda * f. Another way to calculate the speed is by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance.

What factors affect the speed of transverse waves?

The speed of transverse waves can be affected by various factors such as the properties of the medium through which the wave is traveling, the temperature of the medium, and the frequency and wavelength of the wave. In general, waves tend to travel faster through stiffer and denser mediums.

Is the speed of transverse waves constant?

No, the speed of transverse waves is not always constant. It can change depending on the properties of the medium through which the wave is traveling. For example, the speed of light waves in air is different from the speed of light waves in water.

How does the speed of transverse waves compare to the speed of longitudinal waves?

The speed of transverse waves is typically faster than the speed of longitudinal waves. This is because in transverse waves, the particles of the medium move perpendicular to the direction of the wave, while in longitudinal waves, the particles move parallel to the direction of the wave. This allows transverse waves to travel more quickly through a medium.