1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of transverse waves

1. Jun 29, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

my working is as in the photo which is v=f X wavelength = 0.4 X 0.04= 0.16 ... but the ans given is 0.10m/s
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ever look at the dimension of speed and compared to the dimension of your answer ?

Oh, and use the template, please. If you'd done so you would have discovered where you went off the rails. (And never have posted in the first place, thus robbing me of a chance to promote the use of the template. All bad things have a bright side :smile:).

If you have time left, read the guidelines too....

4. Jun 29, 2014 #3
    The value you got for the frequency f is not correct.

Also 0.4 * 0.04 = 0.16 isn't a correct equation.

5. Jun 29, 2014 #4
    sorry... my working should be ( (40X10^-3 )X (4X10^-3) )/100= 0.016 m/s .. which part is wrong?

6. Jun 29, 2014 #5

adjacent

Gold Member

Your second diagram is not clear. Distance in what?

7. Jun 29, 2014 #6
    Ignore the question. Found my mistake.

8. Jun 29, 2014 #7

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How about betting on mm ?

But poor Des is still looking at the wrong frequency. He may be confused by the label on the x-axis of graph a.

Des: you see there one full period ends at the number 40. that is the period divided by ms.

Meaning: ##{period \over ms} = 40\, ## so that period = ??
    What is the dimension of frequency ?
    - - - -

Graph b x-axis label is distance / mm but there he has no problem extracting ##\lambda## = 4 mm.

Des: Now, do you see where you ended up upside down ?

- - - -

Personally I think the labels are quite correct, but in my own work I use labels like "Displacement in cm" and "Time in ms" that (I hope) are less confusing than the correct labels.

(But then, I am not a teacher / pedagogics expert. Any opinions/experience from the field?)

[edit] woke up after some soccer. Des is happy. My opinions question stands.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted