Spherical Coordinates Integral

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of a solid that lies within a sphere, above the xy-plane, and below a cone using spherical coordinates. The integral is set up with the correct format and there is a disagreement about the shape of the solid and the boundaries of the integral. The correct shape is determined to be a hemisphere with a cone cut out, and the conversation ends with a clarification that the cone goes higher than the sphere.
themadhatter1

Homework Statement

Using spherical coordinates, find the volume of the solid that lies within the sphere x2+y2+z2=4, above the xy-plane and below the cone z=√(x2+y2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I have so far,

[tex]v=\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{\frac{\pi}{4}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_{0}^{\frac{2}{cos\phi}}dp d\phi d\theta [/tex]

However, when evaluating this integral you wind up having an infinite discontinuity between the bounds of the 2nd integral, so you can't evaluate it. Am I thinking of the right shape?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to use the right format for the integral:

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi}\int_{\pi/4}^{\pi/2}\int_0^{\rho(\phi,\theta)} \rho^2\sin(\phi)d\rho d\phi d\theta[/tex]

So lemme' ask you this, as you go round it to integrate it, does the upper limit on rho depend on phi or theta?

jackmell said:
You need to use the right format for the integral:

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi}\int_{\pi/4}^{\pi/2}\int_0^{\rho(\phi,\theta)} \rho^2\sin(\phi)d\rho d\phi d\theta[/tex]

So lemme' ask you this, as you go round it to integrate it, does the upper limit on rho depend on phi or theta?

Oh, haha. Cant believe I forgot that. I would think the upper limit on rho depends on phi because with this shape, you can change theta all you want and rho is not going to change. However, changing phi changes rho, this is because the solid is symmetrical about the z-axis. Right?

themadhatter1 said:
Oh, haha. Cant believe I forgot that. I would think the upper limit on rho depends on phi because with this shape, you can change theta all you want and rho is not going to change. However, changing phi changes rho, this is because the solid is symmetrical about the z-axis. Right?

No, changing phi doesn't change the upper limit on rho because you're integrating from zero to the boundary of the sphere right and nothing is getting in the way of rho as it goes from zero to that boundary.

Ok, I think I was misinterperting the volume described. I took it to mean basically the shadow cast down by the cone on the xy-plane, since that region lies under the cone, above the xy-plane, and in the sphere. I'm not sure if the area you are thinking of is correct though. In the area you are thinking of part of it dosen't lie under the cone. I think your shape would be a hemisphere with a cone cut out. I was thinking of a cylynder with a cone cut out.

themadhatter1 said:
Ok, I think I was misinterperting the volume described. I took it to mean basically the shadow cast down by the cone on the xy-plane, since that region lies under the cone, above the xy-plane, and in the sphere. I'm not sure if the area you are thinking of is correct though. In the area you are thinking of part of it dosen't lie under the cone. I think your shape would be a hemisphere with a cone cut out. I was thinking of a cylynder with a cone cut out.

Ok, now you got me confussed. I'm sayin':

[tex]\text{my blue volume}=\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{\pi/4}^{\pi/2}\int_0^2 \rho^2 \sin(\phi)d\rho d\phi d\theta[/tex]

Attachments

• myconeinsphere.jpg
    myconeinsphere.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 558
jackmell said:
Ok, now you got me confussed. I'm sayin':

[tex]\text{my blue volume}=\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{\pi/4}^{\pi/2}\int_0^2 \rho^2 \sin(\phi)d\rho d\phi d\theta[/tex]

Hmm, that's what I thought you were thinking. I handed in the assignment today and got the answer key. They setup the integral the way you did in the answer key. However, I would argue that part of the region in that integral is not under the cone. Everything under the cone is contained within a cylinder of r=√(2) centered about the z-axis. Clearly, part of the region is not under the cone. This problem came from Stewart's calculus. At the very least Stewart was unclear, (which wouldn't be the first time). I'll see what my professor has to say.

themadhatter1 said:
Hmm, that's what I thought you were thinking. I handed in the assignment today and got the answer key. They setup the integral the way you did in the answer key. However, I would argue that part of the region in that integral is not under the cone. Everything under the cone is contained within a cylinder of r=√(2) centered about the z-axis. Clearly, part of the region is not under the cone. This problem came from Stewart's calculus. At the very least Stewart was unclear, (which wouldn't be the first time). I'll see what my professor has to say.

You got that wrong dude. The cone goes up higher than the sphere and the problem explicitly stated the volume in the sphere under the cone. The way you thinkin' of it would be to say, "the volume under the cone within the sphere where the cone intersects the sphere."

Attachments

• cone in sphere.jpg
    cone in sphere.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 620

1. What are spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are a system of describing points in three-dimensional space using three coordinates: radius (r), inclination or elevation (θ), and azimuth or longitude (φ). They are often used in physics, engineering, and mathematics, particularly for solving problems involving spherical symmetry.

2. How are spherical coordinates different from Cartesian coordinates?

In Cartesian coordinates, a point is described using three coordinates that represent its distances from three mutually perpendicular axes. In spherical coordinates, a point is described using three coordinates that represent its distance from the origin, its angle from the positive z-axis, and its angle from the positive x-axis. Spherical coordinates are more suitable for describing points on a sphere or points with spherical symmetry, while Cartesian coordinates are better for describing points in a rectangular coordinate system.

3. What are the advantages of using spherical coordinates?

One advantage of using spherical coordinates is that they are particularly useful for solving problems involving spherical symmetry. They are also better suited for describing points on a sphere, such as in astronomy or geography. Additionally, they can simplify certain mathematical calculations, making them more efficient for certain applications.

4. How do you convert between spherical and Cartesian coordinates?

To convert from spherical coordinates (r, θ, φ) to Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z), the following equations can be used:x = r sin θ cos φy = r sin θ sin φz = r cos θTo convert from Cartesian coordinates to spherical coordinates, the equations are:r = √(x² + y² + z²)θ = arccos(z/r)φ = arctan(y/x)

5. How are spherical coordinates used in integration?

Spherical coordinates are often used in triple integration, particularly for solving problems involving spherical symmetry. They can also be used to integrate over regions that are more easily described in spherical coordinates, such as spheres, cones, or spherical shells. In these cases, the integrals can be simplified by using the appropriate conversion factors for spherical coordinates.