How Do You Calculate Spring Constant and Mass for Oscillations?

In summary, a 200 g mass elongates a spring by 3 cm and the spring constant is found to be 65.4 N/m. An unknown mass attached to the same spring has a period of oscillation of 3 seconds, and its value is determined to be 14.91 kg by plugging in the spring constant into the equation T=2pi(sqrt)(m/k). No further conversions are necessary.
dynamity

Homework Statement

A 200 g mass elongates a spring 3 cm from its equilibrium position. Find the spring constant (k) of the spring in N/m.

An unknown mass is attached to the same spring and set in motion. If the period of oscillation is 3 seconds, find the value of the unknown mass in kg.

Homework Equations

k=mg/x
T=2pi(sqrt)(m/k)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I've determined part A to be 65.4 N/m. I did this by converting cm->m and g->kg. Then I filled it into the equation...

k=.2(9.81)/.03 = 65.4 N/m

Then I plug it into the other equation for part two of the question

3=2pi(sqrt)m/65.4
3/2pi (changed to .477 for ease)=sqrt(m/65.4)
.477^2=(m/65.4)
.22797=m/65.4
.22797(65.4)=m
m=14.91 kg

Mostly what I'm asking for here is a confirmation on my work and if the m at the end of my second equation comes directly in kg or if it needs to be converted first.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi dynamity, welcome to PF.
Your answer is correct. Final answer is in kg. No need to convert to any thing.

Your calculations and approach are correct. The value of m at the end of the second equation should be in kg, so there is no need for conversion. Great job on using the correct equations and units! Keep up the good work.

1. What is the spring constant?

The spring constant, also known as the force constant, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It represents the amount of force required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance.

2. How is the spring constant calculated?

The spring constant is calculated by dividing the force applied to the spring by the displacement it causes. This can be represented by the equation k = F/x, where k is the spring constant, F is the force, and x is the displacement.

3. What is the relationship between spring constant and period?

The period of a spring, which is the time it takes for one complete oscillation, is directly proportional to the square root of the spring constant. This means that as the spring constant increases, the period of the spring also increases.

4. How does changing the mass affect the spring constant and period?

Changing the mass attached to a spring does not affect the spring constant, as it is a measure of the spring's stiffness. However, it does affect the period of the spring, as a larger mass will result in a longer period.

5. What is the unit for spring constant and period?

The unit for spring constant is typically measured in units of force per distance, such as N/m or lb/in. The unit for period is measured in units of time, such as seconds or milliseconds.