1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring constant of a thread

1. May 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 2.60 g spider is dangling at the end of a silk thread. You can make the spider bounce up and down on the thread by tapping lightly on his feet with a pencil. You soon discover that you can give the spider the largest amplitude on his little bungee cord if you tap exactly once every 4.90 s seconds. What is the spring constant of the silk thread.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\omega[/tex]= 2[tex]\pi[/tex]/T
    [tex]\omega[/tex]= [tex]\sqrt{}k/m[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    so i equated the 2 equations and tried to isolate for k and this is what my equation looked like : m*(2[tex]\pi[/tex]/T)^2 = k ..i tried rearranging twice and my answer and equation are coming out the same ..pls. help

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That looks fine to me. Why do you think it's not?

4. May 27, 2009 #3
    when i put the answer into my hwk the answer is appparently wrong..i was also wondering if i was right in assuming the period to be 4.90 seconds??

5. May 27, 2009 #4

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What value did you get ? Did you convert the mass to kg ? (I assume they want the k in N/m)

6. May 27, 2009 #5
    the value i am getting is 4.85x10^-3 N/m

7. May 27, 2009 #6

Doc Al

Yes, that was correct.

8. May 27, 2009 #7

Doc Al

Double check your arithmetic.

9. May 27, 2009 #8
    thankx i got it :))

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook