What is the Spring Constant of a Spider's Silk Thread?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the spring constant of a silk thread based on the period of a spider bouncing on the thread. The equation \omega= 2\pi/T and \omega= \sqrt{}k/m are used to find the value of k, with the period being assumed to be 4.90 seconds. The final answer is 4.85x10^-3 N/m, which may need to be converted from grams to kilograms.
brunettegurl

Homework Statement

A 2.60 g spider is dangling at the end of a silk thread. You can make the spider bounce up and down on the thread by tapping lightly on his feet with a pencil. You soon discover that you can give the spider the largest amplitude on his little bungee cord if you tap exactly once every 4.90 s seconds. What is the spring constant of the silk thread.

Homework Equations

[tex]\omega[/tex]= 2[tex]\pi[/tex]/T
[tex]\omega[/tex]= [tex]\sqrt{}k/m[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

so i equated the 2 equations and tried to isolate for k and this is what my equation looked like : m*(2[tex]\pi[/tex]/T)^2 = k ..i tried rearranging twice and my answer and equation are coming out the same ..pls. help

Physics news on Phys.org
brunettegurl said:
so i equated the 2 equations and tried to isolate for k and this is what my equation looked like : m*(2[tex]\pi[/tex]/T)^2 = k ..i tried rearranging twice and my answer and equation are coming out the same ..pls. help
That looks fine to me. Why do you think it's not?

when i put the answer into my hwk the answer is appparently wrong..i was also wondering if i was right in assuming the period to be 4.90 seconds??

brunettegurl said:

Homework Statement

A 2.60 g spider is dangling at the end of a silk thread. You can make the spider bounce up and down on the thread by tapping lightly on his feet with a pencil. You soon discover that you can give the spider the largest amplitude on his little bungee cord if you tap exactly once every 4.90 s seconds. What is the spring constant of the silk thread.

Homework Equations

[tex]\omega[/tex]= 2[tex]\pi[/tex]/T
[tex]\omega[/tex]= [tex]\sqrt{}k/m[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

What value did you get ? Did you convert the mass to kg ? (I assume they want the k in N/m)

the value i am getting is 4.85x10^-3 N/m

brunettegurl said:
i was also wondering if i was right in assuming the period to be 4.90 seconds??
Yes, that was correct.

brunettegurl said:
the value i am getting is 4.85x10^-3 N/m
Double check your arithmetic.

thankx i got it :))

1. What is the spring constant of a thread?

The spring constant of a thread refers to the stiffness or rigidity of a thread when it is stretched or compressed. It is a measure of the force required to extend or compress a thread by a certain distance.

2. How is the spring constant of a thread calculated?

The spring constant of a thread can be calculated by dividing the force applied to the thread by the change in length of the thread. This can be represented by the equation k = F/x, where k is the spring constant, F is the force applied, and x is the change in length.

3. What factors can affect the spring constant of a thread?

The spring constant of a thread can be affected by several factors, including the material and thickness of the thread, the diameter of the thread, and the temperature at which it is being measured. It can also be affected by the tension or stress applied to the thread.

4. Why is the spring constant of a thread important?

The spring constant of a thread is important because it helps determine the strength and flexibility of the thread. It is also used in various applications, such as in sewing and manufacturing, where the properties of the thread are crucial for the functioning of the final product.

5. Can the spring constant of a thread change?

Yes, the spring constant of a thread can change depending on external factors such as temperature and tension. It can also be altered by manipulating the properties of the thread itself, such as changing its material or thickness.