Find X Coord of Point A in Dot Product Homework

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the X coordinate of point A using the given coordinates for points A and B and the equation A^2+B^2=C^2. The suggested solution involves finding the hypotenuse of the triangle formed by points A and B and using it to solve for x. The conversation also mentions the use of scalar product to determine the angle between vectors A and B.
ptnguyen

Attachments

• IMG_3999.JPG
    IMG_3999.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 473
  • IMG_4003.JPG
    IMG_4003.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 463
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ptnguyen said:
Im thinking of 31^2+(-231.125^2)= hypotenuse= diagonal from B to A. Then I could solve for x since I have 2 sides of the triangle. But I'm not sure if it correct.

what is the angle between the vectors A and B ?
say the angle is Theta then one can use scalar product of these two tp proceed towards finding x or not ?

1. What is the formula for finding the x-coordinate of Point A in a dot product?

The formula for finding the x-coordinate of Point A in a dot product is:
x = (A dot B) / ||A||
Where A and B are vectors and ||A|| represents the magnitude of vector A.

2. How do I find the dot product of two vectors?

To find the dot product of two vectors, first multiply the corresponding components of the vectors. Then, add all of these products together to get the dot product. For example, if A = [1, 2, 3] and B = [4, 5, 6], the dot product would be calculated as:
A dot B = (1*4) + (2*5) + (3*6) = 4 + 10 + 18 = 32.

3. Can I use the dot product to find the x-coordinate of any point in a vector space?

No, the dot product can only be used to find the x-coordinate of Point A when Point A is a vector in the same direction as the other vector being multiplied. In other words, Point A must be parallel to the other vector in order for the dot product to be used to find its x-coordinate.

4. What is the significance of finding the x-coordinate of Point A in a dot product?

The x-coordinate of Point A in a dot product is important because it represents the magnitude of Point A in the direction of the other vector being multiplied. This can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as calculating work done by a force or determining the angle between two vectors.

5. Are there any alternative methods for finding the x-coordinate of Point A in a dot product?

Yes, there are alternative methods such as using trigonometric functions and projections to find the x-coordinate of Point A. However, the dot product method is the most straightforward and commonly used method to find the x-coordinate of a point in a dot product.