Static Equilibrium components (pulleys, weights)

In summary, the conversation discusses the components and forces involved in a component diagram problem. It mentions the need to compare x components and determine if y-components equal 0. The conversation also includes a description of the attached diagram and questions about calculating the x and y components and accounting for the other weights involved. The expert provides guidance on how to correctly calculate the components and notes that the net force in the middle is the sum of all forces.
fizzsucks

Homework Statement

Component diagram:
include all forces, x & y, angles
compare x components (are they equal?)
do y-components equal 0?

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma = 0 = F + F + F...
SOHCAHTOA

The Attempt at a Solution

Attached is my diagram with components drawn in. There are two pulleys with a rope strung across them, with a weight on each end, and one tied in the middle. Weight on the left (100g), middle (120g), right (92g). I need to calculate the x and y components, and see how close they add up to equal 0.

Is the y-component for both vectors = (120g)(9.8)? I thought it should be, however if that's the case, the x-components won't be equal and opposite: (.120g)(9.8)tan54 vs (.120g)(9.8)tan50. And how do I account for the other two weights?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
fizzsucks said:
Is the y-component for both vectors = (120g)(9.8)? I thought it should be, however if that's the case, the x-components won't be equal and opposite: (.120g)(9.8)tan54 vs (.120g)(9.8)tan50. And how do I account for the other two weights?

The sum of the two y-components is (120g)*9.8.

To account for the other two weights, note that pulleys change the direction of the tension but not its magnitude.

Each hanging weight is exerting a force mg on the rope. This force is the tension in that particular rope.

It is not correct. Remember, cos = adj/hyp and sin = opp/hyp.

It is not a matter of dotting your t's and crossing your i's. The numbers for the components are incorrect because you use sine where you should have used cosine and vice versa.

Also Fnet,y = F1y + F2y - mg, where mg is the hanging weight in the middle. The net force is the sum of all the forces and there are three forces at equilibrium in the middle.

1. What is static equilibrium and why is it important?

Static equilibrium is a state in which all forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no net movement or acceleration. It is important because it allows us to analyze and understand the forces acting on an object and predict its motion.

2. How do pulleys contribute to static equilibrium?

Pulleys are used to change the direction of a force, allowing for more efficient use of force. In static equilibrium, the forces acting on a pulley system must be balanced in order for the system to remain at rest.

3. What is the difference between a fixed and movable pulley?

A fixed pulley is attached to a fixed point and only changes the direction of the force, while a movable pulley is attached to the object being moved and also provides a mechanical advantage by reducing the amount of force needed to lift the object.

4. How does the number of weights or masses affect static equilibrium?

The number of weights or masses affects static equilibrium by changing the magnitude and direction of the forces acting on the system. In order for the system to be in static equilibrium, the sum of all forces must be equal to zero.

5. Can a system be in static equilibrium if there are external forces acting on it?

No, in order for a system to be in static equilibrium, all forces acting on the system must be balanced. External forces can disrupt this balance and cause the system to move or accelerate.