Statics problem (moment and equilibrium)

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of moment and equilibrium in statics, specifically in regards to a man carrying a 6kg uniform rigid board on his shoulder. The man is asked to calculate the amount of force he feels on his shoulder at point A. The conversation also covers the use of a free body diagram and determining the center of mass of the board. Ultimately, the calculation results in a force of 88.29 Newton (N) on the worker's shoulder.
bardia sepehrnia
1. Having really hard time understanding the concept of moment and equilibrium in statics. In the following picture the man is carrying a 6kg uniform rigid board. I'm asked to calculate the amount of force the man feels on his shoulder. (at point A)

Moment.png

Now I know I'm supposed to start by making a free body diagram, but I don't know where would the weight of the board be placed. Is it in center of the board regardless of the support point at A, or do I have to separate the weight into 2 components based on its length, one in front of the man and one behind him?

Attachments

• Moment.png
    Moment.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 876
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

The worker is having to pull down at point B in order to balance the board on their shoulder. Where is the center of mass of the board? How do the force down at B and the force up at A keep the board from falling or turning?

Please take a try at the FBD so we can work from there. Thanks.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

The worker is having to pull down at point B in order to balance the board on their shoulder. Where is the center of mass of the board? How do the force down at B and the force up at A keep the board from falling or turning?

Please take a try at the FBD so we can work from there. Thanks.

I think I figured it out but I'm not sure.
Moment.png

So ∑M=(W1×(1.5/2))-(W2×(0.9/2)-(0.6B)=0
Then by calculating Force at point B and adding it to the total weight, the total force on the worker shoulder is calculated?

Attachments

• Moment.png
    Moment.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 513
The total free weight should be acting down at the center of mass -- I'm not able to tell if that's what you are doing yet from your FBD...

berkeman said:
The total free weight should be acting down at the center of mass -- I'm not able to tell if that's what you are doing yet from your FBD...
I separated the weight:into 2 components. But I also used your method and got the same answer! So I calculated the moment using point A as reference based on your method:
W=6×9.81=58.86 and the weight force is acting at 1.2 meter from the edge or 0.3 meter from worker's shoulder (1.2-0.9=0.3)
Then ΣM=Rd so ΣM= (58.86×0.3) - (0.6B) = 0 ⇒ B= 17.658/0.6 = 29.43
Force on worker's shoulder is then W+B = 58.86 + 29.43 = 88.29

Looks reasonable. Be sure to include units in all of your calculations. What are the units of Force or Weight? :smile:

It's Newton (N) :)

Likes berkeman

1. What is the definition of a moment in statics?

A moment in statics is the measure of a force's tendency to cause an object to rotate about a specific point or axis. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the perpendicular distance from the point or axis of rotation to the line of action of the force.

2. How do you determine the direction of a moment in statics?

The direction of a moment in statics is determined by the right-hand rule. Point your right thumb in the direction of the force and curl your fingers towards the point or axis of rotation. The direction of the moment is perpendicular to the plane formed by your thumb and fingers, pointing either into or out of the page.

3. What is the difference between a moment and a couple in statics?

A moment is a single force that causes an object to rotate, while a couple is a pair of equal and opposite forces that act parallel to each other but in opposite directions. Both moments and couples can cause an object to be in rotational equilibrium, but a moment can also cause translational motion while a couple cannot.

4. How do you determine if an object is in rotational equilibrium?

An object is in rotational equilibrium when the sum of all the moments acting on it is equal to zero. This means that the object is not rotating in any particular direction and is in a state of balance. To determine this, you must consider all the forces acting on the object and their respective moments.

5. What is the principle of moments in statics?

The principle of moments states that for an object to be in rotational equilibrium, the sum of all the clockwise moments must be equal to the sum of all the counterclockwise moments. This principle is based on the law of conservation of angular momentum and is used to solve statics problems involving moments and equilibrium.