The Fundamental Frequencies of Open Pipes

In summary, the equations for open pipes show that the frequency of the resonating waves is in the ratio 2:1, but the frequency is affected by the end correction. This correction is -0.503m.
leena19

Homework Statement

could someone please explain :-
1. why the fundamental frequencies of 2 open pipes of the same diameter and of lengths l and 2l are not exactly in the ratio 2:1?
2. given that 2 open pipes of the same diameter but of lengths 50cm and 100cm are found to produce fundamental frequencies in the ratio 1:95,what can be concluded from these figures? [ans:endcorrection 1.31cm]

Homework Equations

1. v=f[tex]\lambda[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\lambda[/tex]/2 for the 1st open pipe= l+2e ,therefore f1=v/2(l+2e)
[tex]\lambda[/tex]/2 for pipe2 = 2(l+2e),and f2=v/2(2l+2e)

f1 divided by f2 gives 2:1. since the frequency here depends on v,length and the endcorrection only,shouldn't the ratio be 2:1?
seems like I'm missing something but i can't figure out what & i haven't got a clue as to how to workout part 2.
any help would be much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know but i'd say that the end correction isn't doubled when the tube length is doubled, since it changes as a function of the radius not the length.

lambda by 2 for pipe 2= 2(l) + 2e

Hmmm, An open tube resonates at the same frequency as a closed tube of half its length for open tubes, the equation you're using is for closed tubes, try it out again halving the length, you've practically got it though.

I don't know but i'd say that the end correction isn't doubled when the tube length is doubled, since it changes as a function of the radius not the length.

lambda by 2 for pipe 2= 2(l) + 2e

Yes.Thanx for pointing out my mistake.So after correcting it I get,
2l+2e[tex]/l+2e[/tex]

Chewy0087 Re: statinary waves in open pipes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hmmm, An open tube resonates at the same frequency as a closed tube of half its length for open tubes, the equation you're using is for closed tubes, try it out again halving the length, you've practically got it though.
May26-09 05:41 PM

I think I've used the right equation

As For part 2)I get an endcorrection of -0.503m which is way off the answer given ,1.31cm.Can someone please check my working?
[tex]\lambda1[/tex]/2=0.5+2e therefore [tex]\lambda1[/tex]=1+4e
[tex]\lambda2[/tex]/2=1+2e therefore [tex]\lambda1[/tex]=2+4e

v/f1=1+4e
v/f2=2=4e and according to the given data f2=95f1,so after substituting and dividing one by the other I get
95(2+4e) = 1+4e
190+380e = 1+4e
e = -0.503m
My other problem is, can the endcorrection of a pipe have a negative value?

1. What are stationary waves in open pipes?

Stationary waves in open pipes are a type of sound wave that occurs when sound waves reflect off the ends of an open pipe and interfere with each other. This results in a standing wave pattern with fixed nodes and antinodes.

2. How do stationary waves in open pipes differ from closed pipes?

In closed pipes, both ends of the pipe are sealed, causing the sound waves to reflect and interfere differently, resulting in a different standing wave pattern. In open pipes, one or both ends are open, allowing for different patterns and harmonics to be produced.

3. What factors affect the formation of stationary waves in open pipes?

The length of the pipe, the speed of sound, and the frequency of the sound waves all affect the formation of stationary waves in open pipes. The longer the pipe, the lower the frequency required to produce standing waves. The speed of sound also plays a role, as the wavelength of the sound waves must match the length of the pipe for standing waves to occur.

4. How are stationary waves in open pipes used in musical instruments?

Stationary waves in open pipes are used in musical instruments such as flutes, clarinets, and organ pipes to produce different pitches and harmonics. By changing the length of the pipe or the amount of air blown into the pipe, different standing wave patterns can be produced, resulting in different musical notes.

5. What are the practical applications of studying stationary waves in open pipes?

Studying stationary waves in open pipes has practical applications in fields such as acoustics and engineering. It can help in the design and construction of musical instruments, as well as in the analysis and improvement of ventilation systems and air flow in buildings. It also has applications in fields such as telecommunications, where the understanding of standing waves is important in the transmission and reception of signals.