Construction Materials Coursework: Stiffness Calculation Help

In summary, the problem is that the stiffness of the beams cannot be calculated using the information given.
Kieran Mclean
Stuck on a question in my Construction Materials coursework. Not asking for anyone to solve it for me but would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction:

Untitled.png

As far as i was aware, stiffness = force/deflection, data which is not obtainable in a hypothetical circumstance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kieran Mclean said:
Stuck on a question in my Construction Materials coursework. Not asking for anyone to solve it for me but would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction:

View attachment 94170

As far as i was aware, stiffness = force/deflection, data which is not obtainable in a hypothetical circumstance.
Do you know how to solve a beam bending problem for a beam that is simply supported with a load applied at the middle of the beam?

Chestermiller said:
Do you know how to solve a beam bending problem for a beam that is simply supported with a load applied at the middle of the beam?
Regarding stiffness,yes, I have already calculated the stiffness of the existing steel and timber beams for previous questions, using further data acquired from testing (max load, max deflection)

Kieran Mclean said:
Regarding stiffness,yes, I have already calculated the stiffness of the existing steel and timber beams for previous questions, using further data acquired from testing (max load, max deflection)
Are you saying that you need to know the Young's modulus for steel and timber to solve this problem, or is there something else that is missing? Of course Young's modulus for these materials is readily available on line or in your textbook.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Are you saying that you need to know the Young's modulus for steel and timber to solve this problem, or is there something else that is missing? Of course Young's modulus for these materials is readily available on line or in your textbook.

Chet
To be sure, the mechanical properties of wood vary by species, moisture content, etc. Simply specifying that one of the beams is made of "timber" doesn't really help.
Wood is also an orthotropic material, unlike steel, and the manner in which the load is applied affects which strength properties should be used.

This article describes the mechanical properties of wood:

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr113/ch04.pdf

SteamKing said:
To be sure, the mechanical properties of wood vary by species, moisture content, etc. Simply specifying that one of the beams is made of "timber" doesn't really help.
Wood is also an orthotropic material, unlike steel, and the manner in which the load is applied affects which strength properties should be used.

This article describes the mechanical properties of wood:

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr113/ch04.pdf
Thanks SteamKing. I knew these things. But, if I were in the OP's situation, I would choose some very rough representative values of the properties to make the calculations (maybe as high a value as I could find for wood, and as low a value as I could fine for steel). I'm guessing that the stiffnesses are going to have to come out vastly different between the steel beam and the wooden beams.

Related to Construction Materials Coursework: Stiffness Calculation Help

1. What is stiffness and why is it important in construction materials coursework?

Stiffness is the ability of a material to resist deformation when subjected to an applied load. It is an important factor in construction materials coursework because it determines the structural integrity and stability of a building or structure. A material with high stiffness can withstand higher loads without deforming, making it more suitable for construction purposes.

2. How is stiffness calculated in construction materials coursework?

Stiffness is calculated by dividing the applied load by the resulting deformation. This is known as the modulus of elasticity or Young's modulus. It is usually measured in units of stress over strain (N/m2 or Pa).

3. What are the common methods used to determine stiffness in construction materials coursework?

The most common methods used to determine stiffness in construction materials coursework include tensile testing, compression testing, and flexural testing. These tests involve applying a known load to the material and measuring the resulting deformation, which is then used to calculate stiffness.

4. How does the stiffness of different materials impact their use in construction?

The stiffness of a material can greatly impact its use in construction. Materials with high stiffness, such as steel and concrete, are commonly used in load-bearing structures, while materials with lower stiffness, such as wood and plastic, are often used in non-load bearing applications. The stiffness of a material also affects its ability to withstand external forces, such as wind and earthquakes.

5. What are some factors that can affect the stiffness of a material?

The stiffness of a material can be affected by various factors, such as temperature, humidity, and the type of loading applied. For example, high temperatures can cause materials to become more flexible, while low temperatures can make them more brittle. The composition and structure of a material also play a role in its stiffness, as well as any defects or damage present in the material.