Stockroom worker pushes a box homework problem

In summary: Then just solve for the applied force.In summary, the conversation discusses a stockroom worker pushing a box with a constant speed of 3.50m/s and a mass of 11.2 kg. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the surface is .20 and the question asks for the horizontal force the worker must apply to maintain the motion. The solution involves finding the normal force and using equations F=ma and F=\muN to determine the applied force, which is found to be equal to the force of friction. The final answer is then solved for by setting the two forces equal to each other.
moondawg

Homework Statement

A stockroom worker pushes a box with mass 11.2 kg on a horizontal surface with a constant speed of 3.50m/s. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the surface is .20. What horizontal force must the worker apply to maintain the motion?

Homework Equations

F=ma
F=[tex]\mu[/tex]N

The Attempt at a Solution

First I drew my free body diagrams of course and found my Normal force to be 109.76N. Then i used this number and plugges it into F=ma(F=11.2x3.5) and got 39.2. Then using the 2nd equation above I found F=21.95. I was not sure if i was doing it correctly but then i added the 39.2+21.95= 61.152 as my F and answer. But I realized this cannot be right because i used 3.5 as my acceleration when it is just a constant velocity so I do not know how to even approach this question... PLEASE HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org

If velocity is constant than all forces are equal. Force of friction will equal the applied force. Just do Force friction= normal fprce x coeddicient of kinetic friction. Since forces are equal they will be the same value.

1. What is the purpose of the "Stockroom worker pushes a box homework problem"?

The purpose of this problem is to understand the principles of Newton's laws of motion and their application in real-life scenarios.

2. What are the variables involved in this problem?

The variables involved in this problem are the mass of the box, the force applied by the stockroom worker, the friction between the box and the floor, and the acceleration of the box.

3. How can I solve this problem?

To solve this problem, you can use the formula F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration. You will need to consider both the horizontal and vertical components of the force and use vector addition to find the total force on the box.

4. What is the significance of this problem?

This problem is significant because it demonstrates the importance of understanding the laws of motion in everyday situations. It also helps develop problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities.

5. How can I apply the concepts learned from this problem in real life?

The concepts learned from this problem can be applied in various real-life situations, such as pushing or pulling heavy objects, understanding the movement of vehicles, and even in sports like football or basketball, where forces are involved in every movement. These concepts are also crucial in engineering and design to ensure the safety and efficiency of structures and machines.