Stress in rope with pulley and weight

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of determining the stress on a fishing line after adding weights to it. The formula for stress is mentioned and the force acting on the fishing line is calculated. The diameter and length of the fishing line are also provided. The attempt at a solution includes calculating the cross-sectional area and finding the young modulus of the fishing line. The summary also mentions the thinness of the fishing line and the units of Young's modulus.
Dearster

Homework Statement

Im trying to work out the stress of a fishing line after connecting a fishing line to a pulleyboard and adding 100g weights one at a time onto the fishing line to create strain and stress.

I know the formula is Stress = Force divided by area

And i have already worked out the force acting on the fishing line for each 100 gram weights which are added. If i have done this right it is 0.1 (100 g) multiplied by 9.81 (gravity) to give 0.981.

Also i have the diameter of the fishing line as 35 microns (3.5 x 10 to the power of -5)

So the area of the cross section of the circular fishing line is needed and then needs to be multiplied by the length of the fishing line which is 1.2 metres.

Can anyone help me out with this please?

Thank you so much

Homework Equations

Stress = Force / Area

Area of circular fishing line = pie x radius squared x length of fishing line (1.2 metres)

The Attempt at a Solution

I keep on getting a 8 billion pascals answer :S

Physics news on Phys.org
So the area of the cross section of the circular fishing line is needed
Yes.

and then needs to be multiplied by the length of the fishing line which is 1.2 metres.
No. Why multiply by the length. Area * length = volume.

Take the force 0.981 N and divide by the area pi*d2/4 m2.

1.02 E9 Pa. or 1.02 GPa

Compare to 1 atm = 0.101325 MPa. So this is about 10000 atm of pressure/stress or 147 ksi (for a 100 g load), which is a rather large stress.

Last edited:
So would that surfice to go on and work out the young modulus of that fishing line seeing as i already have the strains?

I thought you may have had to work out the cross sectional area of the fishing line and multiply by the length to find the entire area of the fishing line, but i think you may be right.And thank you so much :)

35 microns is thin.

That is 1.38 mil or 0.00138 inch.

For tensile stress, one is interested in the load (force) divided by the cross-sectional area.

Young's modulus has units of stress, since strain is dimensionless.

1. How does stress affect rope in a pulley system?

Stress in a rope with a pulley and weight occurs when there is tension applied to the rope. This tension causes the rope to stretch and can potentially lead to breakage if the stress becomes too great.

2. What factors contribute to stress in a rope with a pulley and weight?

The amount of weight being lifted, the angle of the rope as it passes through the pulley, and the quality and condition of the rope are all factors that can contribute to stress in a rope with a pulley and weight.

3. How can the stress in a rope with a pulley and weight be calculated?

The stress in a rope can be calculated using the formula: stress = force/area. In this case, the force is the weight being lifted and the area is the cross-sectional area of the rope. The stress can also be calculated using the Young's modulus of the material the rope is made of.

4. How can stress in a rope with a pulley and weight be reduced?

To reduce stress in a rope with a pulley and weight, you can either decrease the weight being lifted, use a larger diameter rope, or adjust the angle of the rope to reduce the amount of tension being applied. Using a higher quality and stronger rope can also help to reduce stress.

5. What are the safety precautions to consider when using a rope with a pulley and weight?

When using a rope with a pulley and weight, it is important to regularly inspect the rope for wear and tear. It is also important to use proper lifting techniques and to never exceed the weight limit of the rope. Additionally, always wear appropriate safety gear and have a spotter when lifting heavy weights.