Stress Tensor: Definition, Ideas & Discussion

In summary: This Landau did show nicely in volume seven. Here's basically just a repeat of his argumentation; the force exerted on any portion of the body by the rest of the body is purely a surface force due to the short range of intermolecular forces. Thus the body force density ##F_i## must be a divergence ##\partial \sigma_{ik} / \partial x_k##, because when integrated over a volume ##\Omega## this is transformed into an integral of ##\sigma_{ik} df_k## over ##\partial \Omega##.The divergence of the stress tensor comes in when the divergence theorem is use to convert from a surface integral to a volume integral.
wrobel
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Inspired by the closed thread about pressure:) Here is some of my fantasies about a definition of the stress tensor. Nothing here claims to be a correct theory but just as a matter for discussion.

Attachments

• press.pdf
    82.6 KB · Views: 178
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not comfortable with coordinate free notation, so my comment might be inappropriate.

I have not been exposed to arbitrary additions to the stress tensor. Would you expand on what this means? It seems incompatible with equations of state.

for example, the Navier-Stokes equation is not changed if you replace p with p+f(t)

Likes dextercioby
I am thinking of something like the ideal gas law, PV=nRT.

then in my definition ##\tilde\omega## should be chosen such that this equality holds

Is setting the pressure of a vacuum equal to zero sufficient? Is there a more elegant (probably thermodynamic) criterion?

The divergence of the stress tensor comes in when the divergence theorem is use to convert from a surface integral to a volume integral.

Likes dextercioby
The stress tensor is symmetric rather than antisymmetric. It corresponds to a surface force of adjacent parts of the medium. This force is given by
$$F_l=\int_A \mathrm{d}^2 f_k \sigma_{kl},$$
where ##\mathrm{d}^2 f_k## is the surface-normal vector and ##\sigma_{kl}=\sigma_{lk}## the stress tensor.

In relativistic physics it's the space-space part of the energy-momentum tensor (up to a sign).

The pressure of a fluid is a special case, here ##\sigma_{kl}=-p \delta_{kl}##.

Likes JD_PM and etotheipi
This Landau did show nicely in volume seven. Here's basically just a repeat of his argumentation; the force exerted on any portion of the body by the rest of the body is purely a surface force due to the short range of intermolecular forces. Thus the body force density ##F_i## must be a divergence ##\partial \sigma_{ik} / \partial x_k##, because when integrated over a volume ##\Omega## this is transformed into an integral of ##\sigma_{ik} df_k## over ##\partial \Omega##.

The moment acting on the portion ##\Omega## due to the internal stresses is\begin{align*}

M_{i} = \int_{\Omega} (\mathbf{r} \times \mathbf{F})_i dV &= \int_{\Omega} \epsilon_{ijk} x_j \frac{\partial \sigma_{kl}}{\partial x_l} dV \\

&= \epsilon_{ijk}\int_{\Omega} \frac{\partial}{\partial x_l} (x_j \sigma_{kl}) dV - \int_{\Omega} \epsilon_{ijk} \delta_{jl} \sigma_{kl} dV \\

&= \epsilon_{ijk} \oint_{\partial \Omega} x_j \sigma_{kl} df_l - \int_{\Omega} \epsilon_{ijk} \sigma_{kj} dV

\end{align*}so if ##\mathbf{M}## is to be purely a surface integral then the second integrand has to vanish identically i.e. ##\epsilon_{ijk} \sigma_{kj} = 0##, which happens if ##\sigma_{ij} = \sigma_{ji}## (i.e. then ##\epsilon_{ijk} \sigma_{kj} = \epsilon_{ikj} \sigma_{jk} = - \epsilon_{ijk} \sigma_{jk} = - \epsilon_{ijk} \sigma_{kj}## and thus as with any contraction of a symmmetric and antisymmetric part ##\epsilon_{ijk} \sigma_{kj} = 0##). So the stress tensor must be symmetric.

Likes JD_PM, wrobel and vanhees71
vanhees71 said:
The stress tensor is symmetric rather than anti symmetric
I did not say that the stress tensor is anti symmetric

Then I don't understand your notation. For me the wedge product is antisymmetric (as in Cartan's calculus of alternating (differential) forms).

I did not say that $$\omega_{ij}^k$$ is a stress tensor. I said about the correspondence. In the standard Euclidean coordinates this correspondence looks like
$$\omega^i_{12}=\sigma ^i_3,\quad \omega_{23}^i= \sigma_1^i,\quad \omega_{31}^i= \sigma_2^i$$

Likes etotheipi
That doesn't make sense either. Again a stress tensor is a symmetric 2nd-rank tensor (field). It's meaning together with the standard proof that it's a symmetric tensor is nicely explained in @etotheipi 's posting #9.

I corrected my previous post little bit

Likes etotheipi and vanhees71
Now it makes sense, but your ##\omega_{ab}^c## are not called "stress" usually.

Likes etotheipi
vanhees71 said:
Now it makes sense, but your ##\omega_{ab}^c## are not called "stress" usually.
sure

Ohhh, the ##n## in ##\omega^n_{ij}## is an index too! That would explain why you said it had ##9## instead of ##3## independent components, haha. I was very confused 😄

the correspondence ##\omega_{ij}^k\leftrightarrow\sigma_{sr}## resembles the Hodge star

But "Hodging" makes only sense for alternating forms too.

It's very unusual to introduce your ##\omega_{ij}^k##'s. In some way you seem to want to incorporate the ##\mathrm{d}^2 \vec{f}##'s into the definition of the stress tensor, but usually what one wants are tensor (densities) to be integrated, and that's for a good reason: It's the way to express all physical laws in terms of local field equations, which is the most natural language of relativistic physics.

vanhees71 said:
It's very unusual to introduce your 's
Sure! And I do not propose to use ##\omega## instead of ##\sigma## I just try to formalize the mathematical part of the topic. We want to have the force as an integral over boundary. Ok, but we can integrate differential forms only. Take the form ##\omega##. Due to the Riemann metric we have a canonic isomorphism between the space of tensors of type ##\omega## and the space of tensors of type ##\sigma##. Etc

Likes dextercioby, vanhees71 and etotheipi

1. What is a stress tensor?

A stress tensor is a mathematical representation of the stress state of a material. It is a second-order tensor that describes the distribution of forces acting on a material at a specific point in space.

2. How is a stress tensor defined?

A stress tensor is defined as a matrix of nine components, which represent the normal and shear stresses acting on three mutually perpendicular planes at a point in a material. It is typically denoted by the symbol σ.

3. What are the main ideas behind the stress tensor?

The main ideas behind the stress tensor are that it describes the stress state of a material at a specific point, it is a tensor quantity that is independent of the coordinate system, and it follows the laws of conservation of momentum and angular momentum.

4. How is the stress tensor used in materials science?

The stress tensor is used in materials science to understand the mechanical behavior of materials under different loading conditions. It is also used in the design and analysis of structures and in predicting failure of materials.

5. What are some important considerations when discussing the stress tensor?

Some important considerations when discussing the stress tensor include the assumptions made in its derivation, the relationship between stress and strain, and the limitations of its applicability to different materials and loading conditions.