How Does Velocity Change with Position in a Force Field?

In summary: So KE(final)=work+KE(initial)?Yes, that is right. In summary, the conversation involves solving for the velocity and position of a 4.3 kg body moving along the positive x-axis with a non-constant force of F(x) = -8x N. Using the work-energy theorem, the velocity at x = 1.6 m is found to be 11 m/s and the velocity at x = 4.5 m is calculated to be 9.38 m/s. However, when trying to find the position at which the body has a velocity of 2.7 m/s, the result is incorrect. The correct approach is to use the work-energy theorem to find the change in kinetic energy and
mmattson07

Homework Statement

The only force acting on a 4.3 kg body as it moves along the positive x-axis has an x component Fx = -8x N, where x is in meters. The velocity of the body at x = 1.6 m is 11 m/s. (a) What is the velocity of the body at x = 4.5 m? (b) At what positive value of x will the body have a velocity of 2.7 m/s?

Homework Equations

F=ma , m=4.3kg, F(x)=-8x
=>v^2=v0^2+2ad

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
=>-8(1.6)/4.3= a = -2.977 m/s^2
=>v^2=v0^2+2ad
=> v^2=(11)^2+2(-2.977)(4.5-1.6)=86.467
=>v=9.299 m/s

b) Here is what I tried:

=>v^2=v0^2+2ad
=>(2.7)^2=(11)^2+2(-2.977)(Xf-1.6)
=>7.29=121-5.954Vf+9.5624
=>Xf=(-113.71+9.5624)/-5.954
=17.492 m

Need to know if this is correct only one submission left.

Physics news on Phys.org
mmattson07 said:

Homework Equations

F=ma , m=4.3kg, F(x)=-8x
=>v^2=v0^2+2ad

v^2=v0^2+2ad is only valid for uniform acceleration, that is, for constant force. That is not the case, the force changes with the position. You can use the work-energy theorem to get the velocity in terms of x, but the work is the integral of the force with respect to x

[tex]KE_2 -KE_1= \int_{x_1}^{x_2}{Fdx}[/tex]

ehild

So I just got lucky getting the correct answer for (a) using that equation?

Yes. You got a result that is close to the correct answer, v=9.38 m/s, but your answer to b. is far away from the correct one.

ehild

Could you show how you got v=9.38 m/s for (a)? I know it has to do with E=1/2mv^2 but not getting the right answer.

Do you know how to calculate the work done by a non-constant force?

ehild

It's the integral you posted earlier. I just don't know what to put for the integrand. I tried integrating -8x from 1.6 to 4.5 then setting that equal to 1/2mv^2 but no luck.

Remember, the work is equal to the change of kinetic energy.

ehild

Yes I remember. I know I can find the initial kinetic energy...but to find the final kinetic energy I need to know the total work done, then subtract the initial KE right?

Why subtract? KE(final)-KE(initial)=work. ehild

1. What is Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In other words, the greater the mass of an object, the more force is needed to accelerate it.

2. How do you calculate force in relation to Newton's Second Law?

To calculate force, you must multiply an object's mass by its acceleration. The equation is F=ma, where F represents force in Newtons (N), m represents mass in kilograms (kg), and a represents acceleration in meters per second squared (m/s²).

3. What are some common examples of Newton's Second Law in everyday life?

Examples of Newton's Second Law in everyday life include pushing a shopping cart, kicking a soccer ball, or throwing a baseball. In all of these actions, force is applied to an object (the cart, ball, or bat) in order to accelerate it.

4. What is the relationship between force and acceleration in Newton's Second Law?

The relationship between force and acceleration in Newton's Second Law is direct and proportional. This means that as force increases, acceleration also increases, and vice versa. In other words, the more force you apply to an object, the faster it will accelerate.

5. How does Newton's Second Law relate to the other laws of motion?

Newton's Second Law is closely related to Newton's First Law, which states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. It is also related to Newton's Third Law, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. The Second Law provides a mathematical explanation for how forces cause changes in motion, while the other laws provide additional context and understanding of the principles of motion.