Stupid noob question about state vectors

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of angular momentum and the corresponding quantum numbers. The operators \hat{L}^{2} and \hat{L}_{z} are introduced and expressed as matrices in a three-dimensional subspace. The states \left|1,-1\right\rangle, \left|1,0\right\rangle and \left|1,1\right\rangle are interpreted as basis vectors in a three-dimensional Hilbert space, with the order conventionally being |1,1>, |1,0>, |1,-1>. The confusion arises when trying to interpret the states "vectorwise," and it is clarified that they can be written as (1,0,0), (0,
Denver Dang

Homework Statement

I got a Problem that says:
In this Problem we consider the angular momentum, [tex]\hat{L}[/tex], which normed common eigenstates for [tex]\hat{L}^{2}[/tex] and [tex]\hat{L}_{z}[/tex] is described by [itex]\left|l,m\right\rangle[/itex], where [itex]l[/itex] and [itex]m[/itex] is the corresponding quantum numbers:

[tex]\hat{L}^{2}\left|l,m\right\rangle = l\left(l+1\right)\hbar^{2}\left|l,m\right\rangle[/tex]

[tex]\hat{L}_{z}\left|l,m\right\rangle = m\hbar\left|l,m\right\rangle[/tex]

As usual we introduce the operators:

[tex]\hat{L}_{+} = \hat{L}_{x} + i\hat{L}_{y}[/tex] and [tex]\hat{L}_{-} = \hat{L}_{x} - i\hat{L}_{y}[/tex]

Now consider the three-dimensional subspace, [itex]\mathcal{H}[/itex], corresponding to the quantum number [itex]l = 1[/itex], ie. the states [itex]\left|1,-1\right\rangle[/itex], [itex]\left|1,0\right\rangle[/itex] and [itex]\left|1,1\right\rangle[/itex].

Now, express the operators [tex]\hat{L}^{2}[/tex] and [tex]\hat{L}_{z}[/tex] as matrices in [itex]\mathcal{H}[/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, my problem is that I'm not sure how to interpret the states [itex]\left|1,-1\right\rangle[/itex], [itex]\left|1,0\right\rangle[/itex] and [itex]\left|1,1\right\rangle[/itex]. Usually when there are fx. 1 in one of them, it's the first basisvector etc. But what is it now ? Is it still a vector, in which case what kind ?
I've been flipping through my entire book to see if it showed anything similar, but I haven't been able to find anything that could tell me how I have to interpret the states "vectorwise".
So I was hoping someone could help me :)

I know it's kinda noobish, but I have been stuck here for a while, and can't seem to figure out what the matrix is before I know how to interpret the states.Regards.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Denver Dang said:
Well, my problem is that I'm not sure how to interpret the states [itex]\left|1,-1\right\rangle[/itex], [itex]\left|1,0\right\rangle[/itex] and [itex]\left|1,1\right\rangle[/itex].
Interpret them as three basis vectors spanning a three-dimensional Hilbert space, much like i, j and k span three-dimensional Euclidean space. You can order them any way you please, but conventionally the order is |1,1>, |1,0>, |1,-1>.

I don't know if I have answered your question, but I don't understand the source of your confusion and exactly what you are asking. If you can explain exactly what troubles you, I might be able to give you a better answer.

Hmmm, I mean, if it was just |1> I know it would be a basis vector in three dimensions (This case at least), which I would write: (1,0,0).
But how does this look like in vector-form, that's my question and problem :)

Denver Dang said:
Hmmm, I mean, if it was just |1> I know it would be a basis vector in three dimensions (This case at least), which I would write: (1,0,0).
But how does this look like in vector-form, that's my question and problem :)
OK. Note that the basis states are written in the form |L,ML> where L = 1 for all three states. You can toss that out since it is the same for everybody and write the states as
|1>, |0>, |-1>. So

|1> = (1,0,0)
|0> = (0,1,0)
|-1> = (0,0,1)

:wink:

kuruman said:
OK. Note that the basis states are written in the form |L,ML> where L = 1 for all three states. You can toss that out since it is the same for everybody and write the states as
|1>, |0>, |-1>. So

|1> = (1,0,0)
|0> = (0,1,0)
|-1> = (0,0,1)

:wink:
Ahhh, I see :)

But what if L = 2, how would that look fx. ?

Denver Dang said:
Ahhh, I see :)

But what if L = 2, how would that look fx. ?
The dimensionality of the Hilbert space is n = 2*L+1. For L =2, therefore, you are in 5-dimensional Hilbert space. If you denote the basis vectors just by their ML value, you get column vectors
|2> = (1,0,0,0,0)
|1> = (0,1,0,0,0)
|0> = (0,0,1,0,0)
and so on.

kuruman said:
The dimensionality of the Hilbert space is n = 2*L+1. For L =2, therefore, you are in 5-dimensional Hilbert space. If you denote the basis vectors just by their ML value, you get column vectors
|2> = (1,0,0,0,0)
|1> = (0,1,0,0,0)
|0> = (0,0,1,0,0)
and so on.
Great :)

Thank you very much kuruman.

1. What are state vectors?

State vectors are mathematical objects commonly used in quantum mechanics to describe the state of a physical system. They are represented as vectors in a complex vector space and contain information about the position, momentum, and other physical properties of a particle or system.

2. How are state vectors related to quantum mechanics?

State vectors are an essential part of the mathematical framework of quantum mechanics. They are used to represent the state of a quantum system, which is described by a wave function. The wave function, which is a solution to the Schrödinger equation, is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a particular state.

3. Can state vectors be visualized?

State vectors are mathematical objects and cannot be directly visualized. However, they can be represented as arrows in a three-dimensional space, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude of the vector and the direction representing the direction of the vector.

4. What are the different types of state vectors?

There are two main types of state vectors in quantum mechanics: pure states and mixed states. Pure states represent a system in a definite state, while mixed states represent a system in a superposition of multiple states.

5. How do state vectors change over time?

In quantum mechanics, the state vector of a system can change over time due to the process of quantum evolution. This is described by the Schrödinger equation, which determines how the wave function evolves over time based on the system's Hamiltonian (energy operator).