Suggestions for diffraction experiments?

In summary, the conversation discusses a group project on diffraction and the need to decide on experiments to be conducted. The group has access to first year university labs and is trying to find different kinds of investigations to consider. Suggestions include using audio signals, microwave equipment, and visible wavelengths to demonstrate diffraction patterns. The conversation ends with encouragement to learn and explore in this field.
11thHeaven
My group project over the next year will be on diffraction, so as part of our project plan my group needs to decide what experiments we'd like to do. I know the bare essentials of what diffraction is, but not in much depth (I'm trying to rectify this!) and was hoping for some suggestions for what different kinds of experiments to think about. I know of the double slit experiment, of course, but I don't have much of a sense of what other kinds of investigations have gone on in the field over the last 100 years or so.

We have access to first year university labs, so we obviously won't be dealing with particle accelerators or other high end equipment, but we'll be able to do more advanced things than the typical high school.

I wasn't too sure where to post this thread, so I understand if it gets moved.

Help appreciated :)

Science news on Phys.org
Finding the pitch of the spiral on a CD is one easy exercise but using visible wavelengths is not always the best way to demonstrate diffraction quantitatively.
Diffraction experiments can be done easily with audio signals from a signal generator, an array of loudspeakers (two or more) and a microphone. Many colleges have basic microwave equipment and that can easily be used to show the diffraction patterns of 'apertures' of different widths.
The world is your oyster, actually. You will learn a lot very fast.

Related to Suggestions for diffraction experiments?

1. What is diffraction and why is it important in scientific experiments?

Diffraction is a phenomenon that occurs when a wave, such as light or sound, encounters an obstacle or opening and bends around it. It is important in scientific experiments because it allows us to study the properties of waves and their interactions with matter, which can help us understand the world around us.

2. What materials are commonly used in diffraction experiments?

The materials commonly used in diffraction experiments are diffraction gratings, which are made of materials such as glass or plastic with thousands of tiny parallel slits or lines. Crystals, prisms, and thin films can also be used to produce diffraction patterns.

3. How can diffraction experiments be used to determine the structure of crystals?

Diffraction experiments can be used to determine the structure of crystals by analyzing the diffraction patterns produced when X-rays or electrons are passed through the crystal. These patterns contain information about the arrangement of atoms in the crystal, which can be used to determine its structure.

4. Can diffraction experiments be used for other types of waves besides light and sound?

Yes, diffraction experiments can be used for other types of waves besides light and sound. X-rays, electrons, and even water waves can exhibit diffraction when they encounter obstacles or openings.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when conducting diffraction experiments?

Yes, there are some safety precautions to consider when conducting diffraction experiments. If using X-rays or lasers, proper protective equipment should be worn to avoid exposure to harmful radiation. Additionally, safety goggles should be worn when working with glass or sharp objects, and caution should be taken when handling any equipment that produces high voltages.