Superposition of Circuits

• Engineering
  • Thread starter Quincy
  • Start date

Homework Statement

1) Given the following circuit:

http://img841.imageshack.us/i/electriccircuit1.jpg/

Using the concept of superposition, calculate the partial contribution from each source.

2) Given the following circuit:

http://img713.imageshack.us/i/electriccircuit2.jpg/

Using the concept of superposition, calculate the partial contribution from each source.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure where to start; I read about superposition in the book, but I'm not really getting it, please help!

Answers and Replies

Calculate the partial contributions in terms of what? Voltage? Current? Both? Note, power analysis cannot work using superposition of power delivered since P is nonlinear.

To apply superposition to the first circuit, redraw the circuit with the first voltage source shorted out and find whatever values you aim to find. This will be the partial contribution of the unshorted voltage source. Then, redraw the circuit with the other voltage source shorted (and the first one present this time), and find whatever values you aim to find. Again, these are the values labeled as a 'partial contribution.'

For the second circuit, you do the same except dependent sources remain, i.e. short the first 12V, analyze the circuit, short the second 12V (with the first one not shorted anymore), analyze the circuit, and you're done.

For the second circuit, you do the same except dependent sources remain, i.e. short the first 12V, analyze the circuit, short the second 12V (with the first one not shorted anymore), analyze the circuit, and you're done.

How do you account for the dependent sources?

How do you account for the dependent sources?

As you would during any circuit analysis (if you have solved problems with them in there before.) You can go any route you want with mesh or nodal analysis. One problem, though, is that it says "I" but I don't know which current the source is dependent on.

Or are you asking how do you account for it during the superposition? You just leave it in there after shorting out one of the voltage sources, and solve the circuit. Then you short out the other (unshorting the previous one) and leave it in there again.