Suppose that you're in a moving car and the motor stops running. you step on the brak

In summary, if the motor stops running while driving, the first step is to remain calm and steer the car to a safe location. The brakes and steering will still work, but may require more effort. Some possible reasons for the motor to stop include running out of gas or a faulty fuel pump. It is not safe to continue driving with a stalled motor and the car should be checked by a professional. Regular maintenance can help prevent these issues.
pbody
1. Suppose that you're in a moving car and the motor stops running. You step on the brakes and slow the car to half speed. If you release your foot from the brakes, will the car speed up a bit, or will it continue at half speed and slow due to friction? Defend your answer.

Homework Equations

3. I don't believe it would speed up I believe due to the fact of inertia it would travel at the same rate and eventually slow down due to friction.

Physics news on Phys.org

You are correct.

1. What should I do if the motor stops running while I'm in a moving car?

If the motor stops running while you're in a moving car, the first thing you should do is remain calm. Then, try to safely steer the car to the side of the road or a nearby parking lot. Do not slam on the brakes, as this could cause the car to skid or lose control. Once you have safely stopped the car, you can assess the situation and call for assistance if needed.

2. Can I still use the brakes if the motor stops running?

Yes, you can still use the brakes if the motor stops running. The brakes are a separate system from the engine and do not rely on it to function. However, you may notice that it takes more pressure on the brake pedal to slow down or stop the car if the engine is not running.

3. Will the steering still work if the motor stops running?

Yes, the steering will still work if the motor stops running. The steering system is also separate from the engine and does not rely on it for power. However, it may feel heavier or more difficult to turn the wheel without the assistance of the engine.

4. What are some possible reasons for the motor to stop running while in a moving car?

There are several possible reasons for a motor to stop running while in a moving car. Some common reasons include running out of gas, a faulty fuel pump, a dead battery, or a problem with the engine's electrical system. It is important to have your car regularly maintained to prevent these issues from occurring.

5. Is it safe to keep driving if the motor stops running?

No, it is not safe to keep driving if the motor stops running. It is important to safely pull over and address the issue to avoid potential accidents or further damage to the car. Continuing to drive with a stalled motor could also cause damage to other parts of the car, such as the transmission or brakes.