Surface Greens' function in coherent transport calculations

In summary: I don't mean to disturb youIn summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help with calculating surface Green's functions for self-energies in their device Hamiltonian matrix, specifically in the context of simple coherent transport calculations. They have been reading books and articles on the subject, but have not found a method that works well for their case. However, they have recently found a method that seems promising and are still open to any discussion or recommendations for calculating self-energies. Other participants in the conversation mention the validity of Datta's approach and suggest using the recursive method or solving the quadratic eigenvalue problem. They also provide a reference for a newer method for calculating surface Green's functions. The conversation ends with someone apologizing for replying
saaskis
Hi,

I've been reading these forums for quite a while and now it seems like a good moment for my first post. I'm doing simple coherent transport calculations in tight-binding approximation. The device Hamiltonian matrix [tex]H_D[/tex] is connected to two ideal leads, characterized by the unit cell lead Hamiltonian [tex]H_0[/tex]. Let the intercell Hamiltonian be called e.g. [tex]V[/tex]: this connects the lead unit cells to each other and the leads to the device.

The problem is simple: how do I calculate the surface Green's functions needed for the self-energy? I've been reading the books by Datta and Ferry, but the finite-difference methods described there don't seem to be applicable to my case. The material in my mind is graphene, but the problem should be quite general. Could someone e.g. explain in some detail how the recursive Green's function technique (RGF) actually works in my case?

I've been reading also numerous articles, but none of the methods seems to work as simply as I wish :)

I would also appreciate very much references and discussion of different methods to calculate the self-energies.

Thank you so much for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
As usual, right after writing this post I found a method that seems to work quite well. The problems I had were probably related to the singularities in the surface Green's function, and they could be avoided by calculating the self-energy directly. The method I used is based on solving the quadratic eigenvalue problem for lead modes, and it remains to be seen how this works after introducing e.g. the magnetic field.

Anyway, I'd still very much appreciate any discussion on the subject :)

Datta's approach is still valid in your case. In fact what you describe is the Non-Equilibrium Green's Function Formalism he has developed in his book. I don't think there's any other textbook that treats the matter like him (including the contacts, per se)

There are a number of ways to calculate the self-energies. One way is to use the recursive method (as explained in QTAT). Or you could solve the quadratic eigenvalue problem as you said.

The formalism is quite general and inclusion of the magnetic field simply introduces Zeeman splitting in the Hamiltonian if you are not dealing with spin-orbit interaction and working in the non-relativistic limit.

Thanks,

Hi
I had your problem with surface green function, surface green's function calculation is the important part o coherent calculation
There is some old method, there is a new method which is simple and effective
see 'closed-form solutions to surface green's functions';'PHYSICAL REVIEW B vol55 5266'
best wishes

Hi
I had your problem with surface green function, surface green's function calculation is the important part o coherent calculation
There is some old method, there is a new method which is simple and effective
see 'closed-form solutions to surface green's functions';'PHYSICAL REVIEW B vol55 5266'
best wishes

Noe that this is a very old thread.

Hi
OLD?
I said it is new, I meant it is newer than other method(like decimiation)
Ok

I said:

You are replying to a very OLD THREAD nobody is actively participating in.

I will check the paper you posted,

Thanks

I am sorry
My English is poor

1. What is the role of Surface Greens' function in coherent transport calculations?

The Surface Greens' function is a key component in coherent transport calculations as it describes the propagation of electrons through a material's surface. It contains information about the electronic structure and scattering processes of the material, which are crucial for accurately predicting transport properties.

2. How is Surface Greens' function calculated?

The Surface Greens' function is typically calculated using advanced theoretical methods such as density functional theory or many-body perturbation theory. These methods involve solving complex equations that take into account the electronic interactions within the material and its surface.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of Surface Greens' function in transport calculations?

The accuracy of the Surface Greens' function can be affected by several factors, including the quality of the underlying theoretical model, the complexity of the material's electronic structure, and the presence of defects or impurities at the surface. Inaccuracies in any of these areas can lead to incorrect predictions of transport properties.

4. Can Surface Greens' function be used for different types of materials?

Yes, Surface Greens' function can be used for a wide range of materials, including metals, semiconductors, and insulators. However, the appropriate theoretical methods and parameters may vary depending on the specific material and its surface properties.

5. How does the Surface Greens' function contribute to our understanding of materials for electronic devices?

The Surface Greens' function is a powerful tool for studying the electronic properties of materials, particularly for applications in electronic devices. By accurately calculating transport properties, it can provide insights into the behavior of materials at the nanoscale, which is crucial for the development of new and improved electronic devices.