Exploring Weight Discrepancies in Suspended Mass: The Role of Positioning

• Thread starter Ry122
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, when a ruler is suspended from point x and a mass is put at point y, the mass at x is heavier than when it is at point p. When the mass is moved closer to x, the mass at x decreases. This is because the force at y is zero, but the force at x is maximum. The value of r at X is nil, meaning there is no torque. The equation \tau =rXF explains that torque increases when the force is increased, but it is still unclear why torque also increases when r increases.
Ry122
A ruler is suspended from point x. When a mass is put at point y the mass at x is heavier than when it is at point p.
x-------------------p------------------------y
------------------------------------------------
Why is it that when the mass is moved closer to x the mass at x decreases?

Physics news on Phys.org
do you mean force?

I did not understand the question properly.
You mention that the ruler is suspended from the Point X which is the leftmost point then what effect will the mass have when it is put at the suspension point.

Just to put it into perspective.
Note
[tex]\tau =rXF[/tex]
So at X the value of r is nil.

Last edited:
Sorry Tau=rXf

i.mehrzad said:
I did not understand the question properly.
You mention that the ruler is suspended from the Point X which is the leftmost point then what effect will the mass have when it is put at the suspension point.

Just to put it into perspective.
Note
[tex]\tau =rXF[/tex]
So at X the value of r is nil.

yes which means the force at y is zero but the force at x is max

Thanks for the help but what I really wanted to know was why t=r x f. I can understand that the torque increases when the force is increased but why is it that when r increases the torque increases?

1. What is a suspended mass?

A suspended mass refers to an object that is hanging or supported by something else, such as a string or a support beam. The mass is not in direct contact with the ground or any other surface.

2. How is the weight of a suspended mass calculated?

The weight of a suspended mass is calculated by multiplying its mass by the acceleration due to gravity. This is typically expressed as W = mg, where W is the weight, m is the mass, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

3. What factors affect the stability of a suspended mass?

The stability of a suspended mass can be affected by several factors, including the weight of the mass, the strength and angle of the support, and any external forces acting on the mass. The center of mass and the distribution of weight within the mass can also impact its stability.

4. Can a suspended mass move or swing?

Yes, a suspended mass can move or swing if there is an external force acting on it, such as wind or a push. The length of the support and the weight of the mass can also affect how much it moves or swings.

5. What are some real-world applications of suspended masses?

Suspended masses have numerous real-world applications, such as in construction to support heavy objects, in bridges to distribute weight and prevent collapse, and in pendulum clocks to keep time. They are also used in scientific experiments to study the effects of gravity and forces on objects.