Swinging in a conical pendulum

In summary, a conical pendulum with a 0.900 kg ball attached to a 1.00 m-long string moving in a horizontal circle with a radius of 10.0 cm is discussed. The tension in the string is 8.86N and the ball's angular velocity is 30 rpm.
charan1

Homework Statement

A conical pendulum is formed by attaching a 0.900 kg ball to a 1.00 m-long string, then allowing the mass to move in a horizontal circle of radius 10.0 cm. The figure (Intro 1 figure) shows that the string traces out the surface of a cone, hence the name. (Figure Attached)

What is the tension in the string? Got this one right 8.86N

What is the ball's angular velocity, in rpm? (Need help with this one)

Homework Equations

a=(w^2)(r)
Fnet=(m)(w^2)(r)

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the first question pretty easily, but then I did this to find the second and it was wrong, I think i did something wrong in my conversion from rad/s to rpm's please check.

I got the angle like this-
cos^-1=.05m/1m=87.13 degree's

Then for the Force towards the center of the circle on the x-plane-
cos(87.13) x 8.86N=.444N

Then for the angular velocity-

F=(w^2)(m)(r)
.444N=(w^2)(.9)(.1)

w=2.22 rad/s

Then convert to rpm-

2.22rad / 2pie x 60 seconds = 21.2rpm and this is wrong where did i go wrong?

Attachments

• knight_Figure_07_39.jpg
    knight_Figure_07_39.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 736
Physics news on Phys.org
charan1 said:

I got the angle like this-
cos^-1=.05m/1m=87.13 degree's

If the radius is 10 cm (0.1 m) why do you have 0.05 here?
How did you get the tension without using the angle? With similar triangles?

Thanks I got it!

used the wrong r value to get the angle once I got the angle I calculated everything and got the answer to be 30 rpm

1. What is a conical pendulum?

A conical pendulum is a type of pendulum that swings in a circular or elliptical motion rather than back and forth like a traditional pendulum. It consists of a weight or bob attached to a string or rod, which is suspended from a fixed point and allowed to swing freely.

2. How does a conical pendulum work?

The weight or bob of a conical pendulum moves in a circle or ellipse due to the combination of its own weight and the tension of the string or rod it is attached to. This tension creates a centripetal force that keeps the bob moving in a circular path.

3. What factors affect the swinging motion of a conical pendulum?

The swinging motion of a conical pendulum is affected by several factors, including the length of the string or rod, the mass of the bob, the angle at which the string or rod is suspended, and the gravitational force of the Earth.

4. What is the relationship between the angle of suspension and the period of a conical pendulum?

The period of a conical pendulum, or the time it takes for one complete swing, is directly proportional to the cosine of the angle at which the string or rod is suspended. This means that as the angle increases, the period also increases, and vice versa.

5. What are some real-world applications of conical pendulums?

Conical pendulums are commonly used in seismology to measure the magnitude and direction of earthquakes. They are also used in amusement park rides, such as the swinging pirate ship, and in some scientific experiments to demonstrate principles of physics.