Tension in a ropa to form transverse waves

In summary, the question is asking for the tension in a rope with given length and mass, in order for transverse waves with a specific frequency and wavelength to occur. After researching and using relevant equations, the tension can be solved for using the formula T=v^2*μ. This can help others with the same problem.
MissEuropa

Homework Statement

With what tension must a rope with length 2.20m and mass 0.100kg be stretched for transverse waves of frequency 43.0Hz to have a wavelength of 0.700m?

Homework Equations

No idea

The Attempt at a Solution

I am completely oblivious as to where to start this question. I always like to have an attempt at a solution when I post, unfortunately I don't know where to begin.
Any help with relevant equations would be greatly appreciated as my physics class has yet to cover relation between tension and transverse waves.

Physics news on Phys.org
After some rooting around and Wiki (how I love Wiki) I found that:
v=√T/μ
Where μ is mass per unit length.
v=λf
I plugged in the values for λ (wavelength) and f (frequency) to solve for velocity.
Then I symbolically solved the first equation for T:
T=v2

And BAM I got tension.
Hopes this helps anyone else with this same problem :-)

1. What is tension in a rope?

Tension is a force that is exerted on an object when it is pulled or stretched. In the case of a rope, tension is created when one end of the rope is pulled in the opposite direction of the other end.

2. How does tension in a rope create transverse waves?

When a rope is pulled in opposite directions, the tension creates a series of compressions and rarefactions in the rope, causing it to vibrate. These vibrations travel along the length of the rope, creating transverse waves.

3. What factors affect the tension in a rope?

The tension in a rope can be affected by several factors, including the force applied to the rope, the length of the rope, and the weight of the object attached to the rope. The material and thickness of the rope can also affect the tension.

4. How does tension impact the speed of transverse waves in a rope?

The tension in a rope directly affects the speed of transverse waves. The higher the tension, the faster the waves will travel. This is because the tension creates a stronger restoring force, allowing the waves to propagate at a faster rate.

5. Can tension in a rope be used to control the frequency of transverse waves?

Yes, the tension in a rope can be used to control the frequency of transverse waves. Higher tension will result in higher frequency waves, while lower tension will result in lower frequency waves. This is due to the fact that the tension affects the speed of the waves, and frequency is directly proportional to speed.