Tension Ratio in a Uniformly Distributed Rope System

In summary: What's the mass of the rope?All you've mentioned is its length L.Thanks, guys, I got it right. I didn't notice that there are no two different masses.
Poetria

Homework Statement

[/B]
A rope with uniform mass distribution is attached to a spaceship. At the end of this rope, there is a mass, m. The length of the rope - l.
Point A - where the rope is attached to a spaceship
Point B - in the middle of the rope.
The whole system moves with the same acceleration. I understand there is no gravity.

I am supposed to find a ratio T_A/T_B.

Tension - T

2. The attempt at a solution

I thought it would be simple: point B is in the middle of the rope and so the ratio is:
1 over 1/2.

Physics news on Phys.org
How about writing expressions for T_A and T_B? (What's the mass of the rope?)

Likes Poetria
Doc Al said:
How about writing expressions for T_A and T_B? (What's the mass of the rope?)

I thought:

T_A= M/L*a
T_B=M/L*(L-1/2L)*a

Poetria said:
I thought:

T_A= M/L*a
T_B=M/L*(L-1/2L)*a
I'd say: T_A = (mass of rope + m)*a
and so on...

Likes Poetria
Poetria said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
I thought it would be simple: point B is in the middle of the rope and so the ratio is:
1 over 1/2.
By that rationale, the tension at point C where the rope is attached to the spaceship would be zero.

Likes Poetria
Chestermiller said:
By that rationale, the tension at point C where the rope is attached to the spaceship would be zero.

Do you mean point A?

Chestermiller said:
You mean, attached to the mass, yes?

Likes Poetria
haruspex said:

Yes, I think so. I would be logical.

I already tried the method with (m of rope + m) but I couldn't get a numerical answer. I have to think what is wrong with it.

haruspex said:
Oh yes. You're right. I misread the question.

Likes Poetria
Poetria said:
Yes, I think so. I would be logical.

I already tried the method with (m of rope + m) but I couldn't get a numerical answer. I have to think what is wrong with it.
Have you tried drawing a free body diagram of the mass plus the portion of the rope outboard of some point along the rope?

Likes Poetria
Poetria said:
What's the mass of the rope? All you've mentioned is its length L.

Likes Poetria
Thanks, guys, I got it right. I didn't notice that there are no two different masses.
I mean the mass of the rope = the mass of an object attached.

1. What is tension in free space?

Tension in free space refers to the force exerted by a stretched material or object that is not in contact with any other objects or external forces. In free space, tension is created by the internal forces within the material itself.

2. How is tension in free space measured?

Tension in free space can be measured using a variety of methods, including strain gauges, force sensors, and mathematical equations based on the properties of the material. It is important to use appropriate units of measurement, such as Newtons or pounds, when measuring tension in free space.

3. What factors can affect tension in free space?

Several factors can influence the tension in free space, including the material's elasticity and stiffness, the force applied to the material, and the dimensions and shape of the material. Other external factors, such as temperature and humidity, can also impact tension in free space.

4. What are some real-world applications of tension in free space?

Tension in free space has many practical applications, such as in the construction of bridges, suspension cables, and trusses. It is also essential in the design and function of musical instruments, such as stringed instruments and percussion instruments.

5. How can tension in free space be manipulated or controlled?

Tension in free space can be altered through various methods, including adjusting the force applied to the material, changing the material's dimensions or properties, and introducing external forces such as weights or pulleys. Understanding the principles of tension in free space allows scientists and engineers to manipulate and control it for specific purposes.