What is the tension in the suspended cord when masses are released?

In summary, the tension in the cord C after the masses are released and before one hits the ground can be determined by solving for the tensions in both ropes, which are equal. Since the pulley is massless, the sum of the forces on it must add to zero, resulting in the equation T(C) = 2T. Therefore, the tension in cord C is equal to twice the tension in the ropes, which is 17N in this case. The equation for the tension of cord C is simplified due to the fact that the pulley has no weight.
Ltcellis

Homework Statement

Suppose the pulley is suspended by a cord C

Determine the tension in this cord after the masses are released and before one hits the ground. Ignore the mass of the pulley and cords.

GIANCOLI.ch04.p54.jpg

Mass 1 : 1.2kg
Mass 2 : 3.2kg
Pulley and String mass is negligible

Homework Equations

T-m1g = -m1a
T-m2g = m2a
Tension of pulley = T(C) -mg - 2T = ma(?)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I solved for the tensions in both ropes. Since they're equal I got T=17N
For acceleraton I got 4.4545455m/s. I'm just not too sure on the equation on the Tension of Cord C. Would it be the equation I mentioned above? When I use that I get an answer around 96. Is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it's much simpler than that. Since the pulley is massless, the sum of the forces on it must add to zero. (Note further that there is no mg term acting on the pulley.)

So it's just T(C) = 2T?

because I was thinking mg was referring to the total weight.

Ltcellis said:
So it's just T(C) = 2T?
Yep, that's all it is.
because I was thinking mg was referring to the total weight.
You are analyzing the pulley, so mg can only refer to the weight of the pulley, which is zero.

Thanks a bunch

1. What is the tension of a string on a pulley?

The tension of a string on a pulley refers to the magnitude of the pulling force applied by the string to the pulley. This tension is equal on both sides of the pulley and is necessary for the pulley to function properly.

2. How is the tension of a string on a pulley calculated?

The tension of a string on a pulley can be calculated using the formula T = m * a, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object being lifted by the pulley, and a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). Alternatively, if the pulley is at rest, the tension can be calculated using the formula T = 2F, where F is the force applied to the string.

3. Why is the tension of a string on a pulley important?

The tension of a string on a pulley is important because it determines the amount of weight that can be lifted by the pulley. If the tension is too low, the string may break or slip off the pulley, causing the object to fall. Additionally, the tension helps to distribute the weight evenly across the pulley system, making it easier to lift heavy objects.

4. How does the number of pulleys affect the tension of a string?

The number of pulleys in a system does not affect the tension of a string. The tension remains constant as long as the pulleys are all connected and functioning properly. However, the number of pulleys can affect the mechanical advantage of the system, making it easier to lift heavy objects with more pulleys.

5. What factors can affect the tension of a string on a pulley?

There are several factors that can affect the tension of a string on a pulley, including the weight of the object being lifted, the mass of the pulley itself, and any friction or resistance in the system. Additionally, the angle at which the string is pulled can also affect the tension. A larger angle will result in a higher tension, while a smaller angle will result in a lower tension.