Testifying in a case involving an accident

In summary, the conversation discusses a case involving a motorcycle accident where the motorcyclist was thrown from his bike and landed 39m down the road. The question at hand is whether or not the motorcyclist was speeding. The experts suggest assuming an initial speed of 60km/h and an angle of launch of 45 degrees to see if it would cause the motorcyclist to travel 39m. However, it is deduced that the motorcyclist was likely traveling faster than 60km/h based on the minimum speed needed to achieve a range of 39m. The question then becomes finding the minimum speed the motorcyclist could have been going just before the accident.
negation

Homework Statement

As an expert witness, you're testifying in a case involving a motorcycle accident. A motorcyclist driving in a 60km/h zone hit a stopped car on a level road. The motorcyclist was thrown from his bike and landed 39m down the road.
Was he speeding?

The Attempt at a Solution

Capture.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you elaborate on your work and what exactly you're getting hung up on?

MostlyHarmless said:
Can you elaborate on your work and what exactly you're getting hung up on?

I have the range and the expression for the range. If my work is correct, as attached, until hitherto, I'm having problem finding vi or Θ.

Based on the structure of the question I would assume that, they don't intend for you actually find the exact speed they were travelling. So I would just start by assuming they were going 60km/h and see if that would cause them to travel 39m.

MostlyHarmless said:
Based on the structure of the question I would assume that, they don't intend for you actually find the exact speed they were travelling. So I would just start by assuming they were going 60km/h and see if that would cause them to travel 39m.

I suppose that would be a reasonable premise from which I can work on. It should be solvable then.
Will post solution in the morning.

MostlyHarmless said:

That's strange. I was only able to deduce the angle, assuming the entity was traveling at 60kmh^-1 and landed 39m from point of collision, at which the entity was flung upon collision.

negation said:

Homework Statement

As an expert witness, you're testifying in a case involving a motorcycle accident. A motorcyclist driving in a 60km/h zone hit a stopped car on a level road. The motorcyclist was thrown from his bike and landed 39m down the road.
Was he speeding?

The Attempt at a Solution

View attachment 66096

You don't know the angle of launch (θ).

What's the formula for range? How would you find the maximal range from that formula (hint: max value of sine)?

Now see what the max range for a vi of 60km/h is.

Curious3141 said:
You don't know the angle of launch (θ).

What's the formula for range? How would you find the maximal range from that formula (hint: max value of sine)?

Now see what the max range for a vi of 60km/h is.

I didn't notice the first half of the attachment were work from another question.

Anyway,
tfull trajectory = [itex]\frac{2 vi sin Θ}{g}[/itex]

x(tfull trajectory) =
[itex]\frac{2vi^2 sinΘcosΘ}{g}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{vi^2 sin(2Θ)}{g}[/itex]

I know [itex]39m [/itex] = [itex]\frac{2vi^2 sinΘcosΘ}{g}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{vi^2 sin(2Θ)}{g}[/itex]

In simplying, [itex]382.2m[/itex] = [itex]vi^2 sin(2Θ) [/itex]

I'm not entirely sure it's right to substitute [itex] (60kmh^-1 = 16.67ms^-1) [/itex] into the above equation. If I did, then [itex] sin(2Θ) = 1.38 [/itex] which has an obvious issue.

Edit: Sine 45? It did occurred to me but in theory, would it be reasonable to assume the entity is flung at an angle of 45 degrees?

Last edited:
Another hypothesis:

If I assume launched angle is 45° and initial velocity = [itex] 16.67ms^-1[/itex]

and

x = [itex]\frac{2vi^2 cosΘsinΘ}{g}[/itex]

then [itex]16.68ms^-1 cos 45° \frac{16.68 sin 2(45°)}{9.8ms^-2}[/itex]

= 28m

Given the above parameter, the displacement is 28m

Therefore, given the same launch angle of 45°, the only possible solution for the entity to be flung at a displacement > 28m is for the initial velocity to be [itex] > 16.67ms^-1 [/itex]

Hence, it can be deduced that the entity was speeding.

and given the entity achieved a displacement of 39m and suppose we further assume the launch angle is 45 degrees, the initial velocity works out to be 19.6ms^-1 and 1.96ms^-1 > 16.67ms^-1.

Last edited:
negation said:
Edit: Sine 45? It did occurred to me but in theory, would it be reasonable to assume the entity is flung at an angle of 45 degrees?

If θ = 45 degrees, what is 2θ and therefore sin 2θ in the formula? Is this the maximum value of the sine function?

You're not saying he was definitely flung at that angle. You're saying that this (45 degrees) is the angle that maximises range at any initial velocity. If he was going at the limit, even this maximal range would fall short of how far he was actually propelled. Hence, what can you conclude?

Curious3141 said:
If θ = 45 degrees, what is 2θ and therefore sin 2θ in the formula? Is this the maximum value of the sine function?

You're not saying he was definitely flung at that angle. You're saying that this (45 degrees) is the angle that maximises range at any initial velocity. If he was going at the limit, even this maximal range would fall short of how far he was actually propelled. Hence, what can you conclude?

I did further work 2 posts earlier

negation said:
Another hypothesis:

If I assume launched angle is 45° and initial velocity = [itex] 16.67ms^-1[/itex]

and

x = [itex]\frac{2vi^2 cosΘsinΘ}{g}[/itex]

then [itex]16.68ms^-1 cos 45° \frac{16.68 sin 2(45°)}{9.8ms^-2}[/itex]

= 28m

Given the above parameter, the displacement is 28m

Therefore, given the same launch angle of 45°, the only possible solution for the entity to be flung at a displacement > 28m is for the initial velocity to be [itex] > 16.67ms^-1 [/itex]

Hence, it can be deduced that the entity was speeding.

and given the entity achieved a displacement of 39m and suppose we further assume the launch angle is 45 degrees, the initial velocity works out to be 19.6ms^-1 and 1.96ms^-1 > 16.67ms^-1.

This post is basically right, except for a couple of typos. You computed the minimum velocity that he would actually have had to be traveling at in order to achieve that range. Not strictly necessary, but good to know. Note that he could well have been traveling faster than this (in which case his launch angle might have been lower or higher than 45 degrees).

Likes 1 person
hey guys I've got the same question but the first part of the question ask for "Find the minimum speed he could have been going just before the accident." can someone please help?

1. What is the role of a scientist in testifying in a case involving an accident?

As a scientist, my role is to provide expert analysis and testimony based on my scientific knowledge and expertise. This can include examining evidence, conducting experiments, and interpreting data to help the court understand the scientific aspects of the accident.

2. How does a scientist prepare to testify in a case involving an accident?

Before testifying, I thoroughly review all relevant scientific research, data, and evidence related to the accident. I also prepare a detailed report outlining my findings and conclusions. I may also participate in mock trials or practice sessions to better prepare for potential questions and challenges during the actual testimony.

3. What types of evidence can a scientist provide in a case involving an accident?

A scientist can provide various types of evidence, such as physical evidence (e.g. debris, vehicle parts), eyewitness accounts, and forensic evidence (e.g. blood samples, DNA analysis). Additionally, a scientist can also provide expert analysis and interpretation of data, such as accident reconstruction, weather conditions, and human factors.

4. How does a scientist maintain objectivity when testifying in a case involving an accident?

Maintaining objectivity is crucial for a scientist when testifying in a case involving an accident. This is achieved by following strict scientific methods and protocols, avoiding any personal biases or opinions, and only presenting evidence and conclusions that are supported by data and research.

5. Can a scientist be questioned or challenged during their testimony in a case involving an accident?

Yes, it is common for a scientist to be questioned or challenged during their testimony in a case involving an accident. This is part of the legal process and allows for a thorough examination of the evidence and the validity of the scientist's conclusions. As an expert witness, it is important to remain calm, confident, and objective when responding to any questions or challenges.