Exploring the Scale & Density of the Universe

In summary: No. including it gives you the mass of a mole of hydrogen atoms. You want the mass of a single hydrogen atom.
Thomas Smith
Homework Statement
The current average density of the universe is roughly 3 x 10^-27 km m^-3. What was the average density of the universe at the time the light was emitted by a galaxy with the red shift of z=11.1? Express your answer in terms of a number of H atoms per cubic meter.
Relevant Equations
R(t)/R(t0) = 1/1+z

Na x p/mH Where Na is Avogardo's number in terms of atoms, mH is the mass of the hydrogen atom in kg and p is the average density.
Firstly i worked out the scale factor of the universe
R(t)/R(t0) = 1/1+z = 1/1+11.1 = 1/12.1 = 12.1^3 = 1/1772

The distance between the galaxies were 12.1 times less than today and the volume was 1772 times smaller than today.

Then I think the average density in the universe at that time is (3×10^-27 )×1772 = 5.32 × 10^-24kg m^-3

then the average density in terms of the hydrogen atom
= 6.023×10^23 × (5.32×10^-24/1.67×10^-24) = 1.92×10^24 hydrogen atoms per cubic meter.

This does not seem right to me at all!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you have the density in kg/m^3, and you want the density in hydrogen atoms/m^3, then you need to divide by kg/hydrogen atom, which you correctly have as 1.6x10^-24. Why did you then multiply by Avogadro's number?

phyzguy said:
If you have the density in kg/m^3, and you want the density in hydrogen atoms/m^3, then you need to divide by kg/hydrogen atom, which you correctly have as 1.6x10^-24. Why did you then multiply by Avogadro's number?
I thought that in regards to the number of hydrogen atoms you needed to include it

Thomas Smith said:
I thought that in regards to the number of hydrogen atoms you needed to include it
Including it is fine. Including it twice is not. If you had tracked units carefully, the error would have made made itself more obvious.

There is another error in your calculation. One that tracking units will not catch. If you scale down distance by a factor of 1772, what does that do to volume?

jbriggs444 said:
There is another error in your calculation. One that tracking units will not catch. If you scale down distance by a factor of 1772, what does that do to volume?
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the OP did this correctly. The distance scales by a factor of 12.1, which scales the volume by 12.1^3 = 1772.

Likes jbriggs444
Thomas Smith said:

No. including it gives you the mass of a mole of hydrogen atoms. You want the mass of a single hydrogen atom.

1. What is the scale and density of the universe?

The scale of the universe refers to its size, which is estimated to be over 93 billion light-years across. The density of the universe is measured by the amount of matter and energy present in a given volume. It is estimated that the average density of the universe is about 5 atoms per cubic meter.

2. How do scientists explore the scale and density of the universe?

Scientists use various techniques and tools, such as telescopes, satellites, and computer simulations, to explore the scale and density of the universe. They also use mathematical models and theories, such as the Big Bang theory and the theory of general relativity, to understand the structure and evolution of the universe.

3. What is the significance of studying the scale and density of the universe?

Studying the scale and density of the universe helps us understand our place in the cosmos and how the universe has evolved over time. It also allows us to gain insights into the fundamental laws of physics and the nature of matter and energy.

4. How does the scale and density of the universe affect the formation of galaxies and other celestial bodies?

The scale and density of the universe play a crucial role in the formation of galaxies and other celestial bodies. The distribution of matter and energy in the universe determines the formation of structures like stars, planets, and galaxies. The density of the universe also affects the expansion rate of the universe and the formation of clusters and superclusters of galaxies.

5. How have our understanding of the scale and density of the universe evolved over time?

Our understanding of the scale and density of the universe has evolved significantly over time. Early civilizations had various beliefs about the size and structure of the universe, but it wasn't until the 20th century that scientists began to accurately measure and understand the scale and density of the universe. With advancements in technology and scientific theories, we continue to deepen our understanding of the vastness and complexity of the universe.