What is the proper heading for the plane in the Classic Airplane Problem?

• Thread starter AxeluteZero
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Airplane
In summary: Vr = Vr*[1- cos^2(θ)]\frac{210 * sin \Theta}{sin (135)} = \frac{210 (cos\Theta) - 50}{cos 135}= Vr*[-cos^2(θ)]= Vr*[-cos^2(-135)]
AxeluteZero

Homework Statement

A small plane departs from point A heading for an airport 490 km due north at point B. The airspeed of the plane is 210 km/h and there is a steady wind of 50 km/h blowing directly toward the southeast.
(a) Determine the proper heading for the plane.
° west of north

(b) How long will the flight take?
h

Homework Equations

Law of Sines/Cosines?

vf = vi + a*t

The Attempt at a Solution

So I drew a picture.

You need a velocity vector. This vector must be the sum of the velocity vectors of the wind and the plane, which should also be drawn on the sketch. So I drew a simple sketch showing the plane's northward trek, an angle [tex]\Theta[/tex], another vector showing the wind and the resulting vector. So:

The first vector points due North (up), from point A.
The wind vector points toward point A, at an angle [tex]\Theta[/tex].
The resultant vector points from point B to the non-pointed end of the wind vector.

...so where in the world does the trig come in? I just don't know where to start plugging in numbers, since this isn't a right triangle it isn't a simple sin/cos problem with the Pythag. Theorem, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
In this problem, AB is the resultant velocity (Vr) of wind velocity (Vw)and proper velocity of the plane (Vp)
To make the problem easy, consider wind direction as x-axis.
Angle between wind direction and the resultant is ( 90 + 45) degrees.
Let θ be the angle between Vp and Vw. Then if you draw the vectors, you can see that,
Vr*sin(135) = Vp*sinθ ...(1)
Vr*cos(135) = Vp*cosθ - Vw ...(2)
Now solve for Vr and θ.

Ok I solved for Vr and for theta, but I can't use either of them since there's still the other variable in the equation. IE theta is still in the Vr equation (and I don't know it) and I have Vr in the theta equation. And plugging either equal to each other makes it unsolvable. I end up with a cos (-) plus sin (-).

Vr = Vr

[tex]\frac{210 * sin \Theta}{sin (135)}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{210 (cos\Theta) - 50}{cos 135}[/tex]

Help?

Divide eq. 1 by 2 . You get
(Vp*sinθ) = Vp*cosθ - Vw
Square both the sides. You get
Vp^2*sin^2(θ) =( Vp*cosθ - Vw)^2
Vp^2*[1- cos^2(θ)] = ( Vp*cosθ - Vw)^2
Now simplify and solve the quadratic to find cosθ. Then find Vr.

What is "The Classic Airplane Problem"?

"The Classic Airplane Problem" is a popular mathematical puzzle that involves determining the optimal seating arrangement for passengers on an airplane with a specific number of rows and seats per row.

What makes "The Classic Airplane Problem" challenging?

The main challenge of "The Classic Airplane Problem" is finding a seating arrangement that satisfies certain conditions, such as ensuring that couples sit together and separating individuals with a certain number of seats between them. It also requires strategic thinking and problem-solving skills.

What are some real-world applications of "The Classic Airplane Problem"?

The concepts used in "The Classic Airplane Problem" can be applied to various real-world scenarios, such as seating arrangements in theaters, stadiums, and classrooms. It can also be useful in optimizing space in transportation systems, such as buses and trains.

Is there a definitive solution to "The Classic Airplane Problem"?

Yes, there is a definitive solution to "The Classic Airplane Problem" for any given number of rows and seats per row. However, the solution may vary depending on the specific conditions and preferences set by the person posing the puzzle.

What skills can be developed by solving "The Classic Airplane Problem"?

"The Classic Airplane Problem" can help improve critical thinking, problem-solving, and spatial reasoning skills. It can also enhance patience, perseverance, and attention to detail.