Understanding Forces on Inclined Surfaces

In summary: Could you clarify? In summary, the problem involves an object placed on top of a spring scale on a horizontal surface and sliding down an incline of 30 degrees with friction ignored. The top object's weight is not affected by the acceleration and the normal force acting on the object is perpendicular to the surface. The vertical component of the acceleration is zero and the net force acting on the object is equal to the weight. An accurate free body diagram for the top object is necessary to solve the problem.
umaza
I have two questions:

Pic 1: An object is placed on top of a spring scale which strapped to a horizontal surface. They slide down on an incline of 30 degrees. Friction is ignored. What fraction of the weight does the spring scale read of the top object? (Only incline is given, and friction is ignored)

Would the weight of the topmost object change at all? Would the topmost objects normal force be on an angle or still straight up because it is on a horizontal surface. Does acceleration affect weight at all?

I drew what I thought the FBD would look like on the topmost object only including Normal force and weight, by this I think the weight is not affected.Pic 2: If there is an horizontal force, does the horizontal force go to the middle of the larger circle on an angle or does the force continue horizontally and only apply at the bottom of the larger circle? Also is it possible to lift the larger circle vertically with a horizontal force?

I drew what I thought would happen to the applied force horizontally.

Attachments

• Pic 1.png
    Pic 1.png
    1 KB · Views: 523
  • Pic 2.png
    Pic 2.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 407
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
umaza said:
I have two questions:

1. In pic 1, would the weight of the topmost object change at all? Would the topmost objects normal force be on an angle or still straight up because it is on a horizontal surface. Does acceleration affect weight at all?

I drew what I thought the FBD would look like on the topmost object only including Normal force and weight, by this I think the weight is not affected.

2. In pic 2, if there is an horizontal force, does the horizontal force go to the middle of circle two on an angle or does the force continue horizontally and only apply at the bottom of circle two? Also is it possible to lift the second circle vertically with a horizontal force?

I drew what I thought would happen to the applied force horizontally.
attachment.php?attachmentid=44735&d=1330910812.png

I assume that there are three objects stacked together on an incline. If so, your FBD for the top object is incorrect.

How about stating the whole problem ? I presume there is some friction involved as well as other details.

An object is placed on top of a spring scale which strapped to a horizontal surface. They slide down on an incline of 30 degrees. Friction is ignored. What fraction of the weight does the spring scale read of the top object? (Only incline is given, and friction is ignored)

The problem is I do not know how the forces will react on each other, so I am confused with where to start. That is what I assumed the FBD to be because an incline is given.

I know I have to use the formula Fnormal = mgcos30, but not to sure how this will affect the object on the top.

I was looking up about spring scales and I found somewhere which said that a spring scale detects the Normal force. Does that mean I have to find the Normal force acting on the spring scale?

I did not post the problem because I just wanted an explanation of what is happening rather than any calculations.

Last edited:
umaza said:
An object is placed on top of a spring scale which strapped to a horizontal surface. They slide down on an incline of 30 degrees. Friction is ignored. What fraction of the weight does the spring scale read of the top object? (Only incline is given, and friction is ignored)

The problem is I do not know how the forces will react on each other, so I am confused with where to start. That is what I assumed the FBD to be because an incline is given.

I know I have to use the formula Fnormal = mgcos30, but not to sure how this will affect the object on the top.

I was looking up about spring scales and I found somewhere which said that a spring scale detects the Normal force. Does that mean I have to find the Normal force acting on the spring scale?

I did not post the problem because I just wanted an explanation of what is happening rather than any calculations.
I'll reply to your last comment, first.

This is fine, but without letting us know that you're doing this, we have a difficult time giving much help, because the problem is incomplete.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Each of the objects should have its own FBD .

The top object sits on a horizontal surface. By definition, the normal force is perpendicular to the surface.

What is the vertical component of the acceleration of the combination of the three objects ?

Vertical force should be Fg = mg, but how is there vertical acceleration? Should it not be zero since the Normal force and Force of gravity balance each other?

Or would it be a = mtotalgcos30 - mtotalg / mtotal

Last edited:
umaza said:
Vertical force should be Fg = mg, but how is there vertical acceleration? Should it not be zero since the Normal force and Force of gravity cancel out?

Or would it be a = mgcos30 - mg / mtotal
These object slide down the incline with some acceleration, right?

That acceleration is parallel to the incline. What component of that acceleration is in the vertical direction?

Fparallel = mgsin30

ma = mgsin30
a = gsin30

Fperpendicular = mgcos30

ma = mgcos30(Fn) - mgcos30(Fg in perpendicular direction)
a = gcos30 - gcos30
a = 0

In the vertical direction alone:
Fg = mg
ma = mg - Fnormal
a = 0

Last edited:
umaza said:
Fparallel = mgsin30

ma = mgsin30
a = gsin30

Fperpendicular = mgcos30

ma = mgcos30(Fn) - mgcos30(Fg in perpendicular direction)
a = gcos30 - gcos30
a = 0

In the vertical direction alone:
Fg = mg
ma = mg - Fnormalof the
a = 0
If the magnitude of the acceleration is a = g sin30°, then the vertical component is a cos(30°) = g sin(30°) cos(30°)

Multiply by m to get the vertical component of the net force.

After this, an accurate FBD for the top object will help complete the task.

I am sorry but I do not understand, how does "a cos(30°) = g sin(30°) cos(30°)" get vertical component, it gives the same answer as "g sin(30°)" which is parallel to the incline.

The good news is I found my FBD problem.

umaza said:
I am sorry but I do not understand, how does "a cos(30°) = g sin(30°) cos(30°)" get vertical component, it gives the same answer as "g sin(30°)" which is parallel to the incline.

The good news is I found my FBD problem.
How is it possible that g sin(30°) cos(30°) is the same as g sin(30°) ?

a cos(30°) is the vertical component of the acceleration, a.

Related to Understanding Forces on Inclined Surfaces

1. What is the component of forces?

The component of forces refers to the individual forces acting on an object in a specific direction. It is a vector quantity that can be broken down into its horizontal and vertical components.

2. Why is it important to calculate the component of forces?

Calculating the component of forces allows us to understand the overall effect of multiple forces acting on an object. It helps us determine the net force and direction of motion of the object.

3. How do you determine the component of forces?

To determine the component of forces, you need to use trigonometry. The horizontal component is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the cosine of the angle it makes with the horizontal axis. The vertical component is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the sine of the angle it makes with the horizontal axis.

4. Can the component of forces be negative?

Yes, the component of forces can be negative. This happens when the force is acting in the opposite direction of the chosen coordinate system. For example, a force acting downwards would have a negative vertical component in a standard Cartesian coordinate system.

5. How does the component of forces affect an object's motion?

The component of forces determines the net force acting on an object, which in turn affects its acceleration and motion. If the net force is non-zero, the object will accelerate in the direction of the net force. If the net force is zero, the object will remain in its current state of motion (either at rest or moving at a constant velocity).