The connections in designing an I/O interface with output port

In summary, the 74LS373 device has eight latches that are transparent and follow the data inputs. It has an "E" control pin that is used to activate the IC, and the outputs Q0-Q7 are passed to the 74LS373 where they are presumably clocked and latched. The 74LS373 drives the LED display.
Fatima Hasan
Homework Statement
You want to design an I/O interface with one input port using the standard LS373 used in all class examples. The connections to the LS373 are as follows
The “D” pins are connected to the Device, the “Q” pins to the data bus, the “E” control to the device, and " top enclose O E end enclose " to the address decoder

What if an output port is used instead of input port?
Relevant Equations
-
The connections are as follows:
The "D" pins are connected to the data bus, the "Q" pins to the device, the "E" control to the block address decoder, the "OE(bar)" to ground.
Am I right?

• Wow
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Fatima Hasan said:
Homework Statement:: You want to design an I/O interface with one input port using the standard LS373 used in all class examples. The connections to the LS373 are as follows
The “D” pins are connected to the Device, the “Q” pins to the data bus, the “E” control to the device, and " top enclose O E end enclose " to the address decoder

What if an output port is used instead of input port?
Relevant Equations:: -

The connections are as follows:
The "D" pins are connected to the data bus, the "Q" pins to the device, the "E" control to the block address decoder, the "OE(bar)" to ground.
Am I right?
Can you post a diagram or drawing of all of this? It's a bit hard to follow unless I make some guesses. You can use the "Attach files" link below the Edit window to upload a PDF or JPEG copy. Thanks.

berkeman said:
Can you post a diagram or drawing of all of this? It's a bit hard to follow unless I make some guesses. You can use the "Attach files" link below the Edit window to upload a PDF or JPEG copy. Thanks.
Thanks for your reply.
io ports.JPG

I am not sure I even understand what you are being asked to do.

A 74LS373 device is a latching device. See its data sheet.
The eight latches of the ’LS373 and ’S373 are transparent D-type latches, meaning that while the enable (C or CLK) input is high, the Q outputs follow the data (D) inputs. When C or CLK is taken low, the output is latched at the level of the data that was set up.

The outputs Q0 - Q7 follow the inputs D0 - D8 until the device is clocked when the outputs are locked at the last value. Hence, as the input varies, the output will remain at the clocked value.

The outputs are passed to the 74LS373 where they are presumably clocked and latched in the device. The 74LS373 then drives the LED display.

Hence the LED display will not flicker - it will show the last clocked value.

I suspect the whole of the circuit in red is the clocking signal used to sample the input data. You don't give a part number for U1 so it is difficult to know what it does but I suspect it is a 16-bit counter counting upwards and the 8-input NAND gate flips when the given count on bits A3-A9 (ie 1001010) is reached and sends the sampling signal. The 3 least significant bits A0-A2 change the fastest and pass to U3.

Note something very important about the NAND.

Its output goes to LO when ALL inputs are HI. When A3 goes from HI to LO it causes A4 to go, say, from LO to HI after a short delay. This tiny delay on every count ensures that the NAND will never give a transient false LO and will reliably give an output when the desired count is reached. (You will need to think if the inverters invalidate this - it is correct without them).

It looks like the sampling circuit uses the varying output from U6 to clock the counter U1 as otherwise I don't see why the output of U6 should be fed to it. Also, it seems there is no clock signal generator unless U1 has one in it. However all will be revealed when you give the part number for U1.

The 74LS138 is a very high speed decoder.
This 74LS138 IC has 3-binary select inputs like A, B, & C. If the IC is activated, then these input pins will decide which of the 8 usually HIGH o/ps will go LOW. The enable pins are two active low & one active high.

Clipboard02.png

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
What is the function of the "E" pin on U6?
Doesn't it need to be connected somewhere?

The rest of it looks OK to me.

Cheers,
Tom

p.s. for those not familiar with microprocessor circuits/signals:
1) U1 is a microprocessor with D0-D7 being the bi-directional databus I/O;
2) A0-A15 the address bus outputs;
3) -IOR, -IOW are negative-logic signals indicating that the address bus holds I/O port numbers (R for Read, W for Write), rather than memory addresses.
4) U3 and the gates between it and U1 are an address decoder. The U3 outputs are used to select which I/O device to enable depending on the address bus contents from the CPU, U1.

Cheers,
Tom

1. What is an I/O interface and why is it important in designing an output port?

An I/O interface, or input/output interface, is a system that allows for communication between a computer and external devices. It is important in designing an output port because it determines how data is transferred between the computer and the connected devices.

2. What factors should be considered when designing an I/O interface with an output port?

Some important factors to consider include the type of data being transferred, the speed of data transfer, the type of connection used (e.g. USB, HDMI), and the compatibility with the connected devices.

3. How does the design of an I/O interface affect the performance of an output port?

The design of an I/O interface can greatly impact the performance of an output port. A well-designed interface can ensure efficient and reliable data transfer, while a poorly designed one can result in slow transfer speeds, data errors, and compatibility issues.

4. What are some common challenges in designing an I/O interface with an output port?

Some common challenges include ensuring compatibility with a wide range of devices, managing data transfer speeds, and dealing with potential data errors or interference.

5. How can I ensure the security of data when designing an I/O interface with an output port?

To ensure data security, it is important to use encryption protocols and secure data transfer methods. Additionally, regular testing and updates to the interface can help identify and address any potential security vulnerabilities.