The divergence theorem.

In summary: But by Stokes' theorem, the line integral above is also the integral of curl F around the boundary of S. But the boundary of S is the circle in the plane z=0. When you integrate curl F around the boundary of S, you are integrating a vector field over a curve. But the domain is not a vector field over a domain in R^2. Hence, there is a subtle point which needs to be addressed.A vector field on a curve is a map from the curve to R^3. A vector field on a domain in R^2 is a map from the domain to R^3. You can't integrate a vector field over a different domain and get a scalar.
danni7070

Homework Statement

Let D be an area in R^3 and S be its surface. D fulfills the Divergence theorem. Let N be the unit normal on S and let the volume, V, be known. Let [tex] (\overline{x},\overline{y}, \overline{z}) [/tex] coordinates of the centre of mass of D be known (and the density delta is constant).

Lets define three vector fields:

[tex] F = (x)i + (y)j + (x)k [/tex]
[tex] G = (xz)i + (2yz)j + (2z^2)k [/tex]
[tex] H = (y^2)i + (2xy)j + (xz)k [/tex]

Find a formula for:
[tex] \int\int_S F\bullet N dS, \int\int_S F\bullet N dS, \int\int_S F\bullet N dS [/tex]

where you use V, [tex] (\overline{x},\overline{y}, \overline{z}) [/tex] !

Homework Equations

Divergence theroem states:

[tex] \int\int_R div F dA = \oint_C F\bullet\widehat{N}ds [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

divF is easily found but that doesn't tell me anything at the moment so there is nothin special going on really because I'm completely clueless what to do with the volume and the centre of mass. Any hints would be great.

Thanks in advanced and forgive my english.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The Divergence Theorem

The version of divergence theorem you stated is known as Green's Theorem and applies to a region in the plane (2-d). You need the 3-d version of http://mathworld.wolfram.com/DivergenceTheorem.html" which states that:

[tex]\iint_S \vec{F}\cdot \vec{N}\, dS = \iiint_D \mbox{div } \vec{F}\, dV[/tex]​

Also, remember that the coordinates of the centroid of D are given by

[tex]\left( \bar{x},\bar{y},\bar{z}\right) = \left( \frac{1}{V}\iiint_D x\, dV,\frac{1}{V}\iiint_D y\, dV,\frac{1}{V}\iiint_D z\, dV \right)[/tex]​

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope you determined that the divergence of F is the constant, 2. Of course, the integral of 2 over a region is just 2 times the volume, which you know!

The divergence of G is z+ 2z+ 4z= 7z. The "z" in the integrand should remind you of the calculation of the z-coordinate of the centroid (i.e. "center of mass").

Thanks, this is solved. The teacher did not set this problem correctly up and it made me confused. In fact this was easy :P

But here is another problem!

Let S be 0 <= z = [tex] 1- \sqrt{x^2+y^2} [/tex] and

[tex] F : R^3\rightarrow R^3, (x,y,z) \rightarrow (x,z^2e^z+y,z) [/tex] be vector field.

a) Calculate [tex] \int\int_S F\cdot NdS [/tex] where N has positive z-coordinate.
b) calculate [tex] \int\int_S curl F\cdot NdS [/tex] where N has negative z-coordinate.

Attempts:

a) I use Gauss theorem and find [tex] \int\int\int_D divDdV = \int\int\int_D 3 dV [/tex] but now I hit the brick wall because I'm not sure what to do with z ... What is it? A cone or Cylinder I can't see it.

Last edited:
A half-cone with it's vertex at (0,0,1) opening downward. http://mathworld.wolfram.com/QuadraticSurface.html" .

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh, very nice! thanks. Now I get it.

[tex] \int\int\int_D 3dV = 3\cdot volume of cone = 3\cdot \frac{1}{3} \cdot \pi \cdot 1^2 \cdot 1 = \pi [/tex]

the b) is still unsure because what I get from the curl part is -ze^z(2+z) and that confuses me. There is an example in the book but as almost always, they are pretty "easy" :P

It doesn't matter: [tex]\mbox{div }\left(\mbox{curl }\vec{F}\right)=0[/tex] for any [tex]\vec{F}[/tex] for which the operation is defined.

Ok. The teacher told me to use Stoke's Theorem which I did but the answer was 0 and there is an example in the book with simular results which says that the theorem "fails" in that particular example.

benorin: I'm not sure what div(curlF) = 0 tells me in this example other than I just know this rule from the book.Could you possibly inform me something more? :)

Thanks

div(curl F)=0 + divergence theorem

By Divergence theorem

[tex]\iint_S \left(\mbox{curl }\vec{F}\right)\cdot \vec{N}\,dS = \iiint_D \mbox{div }\left(\mbox{curl }\vec{F}\right) \, dV[/tex]​

Consider that if [itex]\vec{F}=\left< P,Q,R\right>[/itex], then

[tex] \mbox{div }\left(\mbox{curl }\vec{F}\right) = \nabla\cdot\left(\nabla \times\vec{F}\right) = \left|\begin{array}{ccc}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}&\frac{\partial}{\partial y}&\frac{\partial}{\partial z}\\ \frac{\partial}{\partial x}&\frac{\partial}{\partial y}&\frac{\partial}{\partial z}\\ P & Q & R\end{arrary}\right| = 0 [/tex]​

since two rows are identical.

Hence the Triple integral above is zero.

What is the divergence theorem?

The divergence theorem, also known as Gauss's theorem, is a mathematical concept in vector calculus that states that the net flow of a vector field through a closed surface is equal to the volume integral of the divergence of the vector field over the enclosed volume.

What is the significance of the divergence theorem?

The divergence theorem is important in many areas of physics and engineering, as it connects the behavior of a vector field inside a volume to its behavior on the surface of that volume. It also allows for the simplification of certain complex integrals.

What are the assumptions of the divergence theorem?

The divergence theorem assumes that the vector field is continuous and differentiable within the enclosed volume, and that the surface over which the integral is taken is smooth and closed.

How is the divergence theorem related to the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The divergence theorem is a generalization of the fundamental theorem of calculus, as it relates a volume integral to a surface integral. It can also be seen as a higher-dimensional analogue of Green's theorem.

What are some real-world applications of the divergence theorem?

The divergence theorem has many applications in physics and engineering, such as in fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and heat transfer. It is also used in computer graphics and image processing to analyze and manipulate vector fields.