The Food Thread

  • #1
590
0

Main Question or Discussion Point

Calling all food lovers and connoisseurs of PF .
A thread to post anything and everything about food.
Share your favourite recipes, your kind of cuisine and favourite dishes, dining experiences, or even your kitchen antics and fiascos.

Let the food fest begin and remember, gluttony is not a sin.:approve:
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
Evo
Mentor
23,104
2,454
Oooh, I'll be back in a bit. A friend and I were trying to find new recipes for lentils and we found some rather unusual fare, such as chocolate lentil cake. :yuck:

We were also trying to find a modern version of "horsebread" that didn't require two bushels of flour.
 
  • #3
590
0
Chocolate lentil cake !!! That's my favourite ( drools over keyboard ) !
 
  • #4
508
4
Pasta with Pesto Sauce

2 cups fresh basil leaves
2 or more large garlic cloves
3/4 cup fresh parmesan cheese (shredded or grated)
1/2 cup pine nuts
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

Put the first 4 ingredients in a food processor and blend while drizzling in the olive oil. Process until smooth. Pour into a jar and top with olive oil.

Prepare your favorite pasta(angel hair works great) combine it with about a tablespoon of pesto per serving.


Cover the unused pesto sauce with olive oil to keep it green and keep in the fridge up to a week.
 
Last edited:
  • #5
2,985
13
By far, Lebanese food is one of the best in the world.
 
  • #6
508
4
cyrusabdollahi said:
By far, Lebanese food is one of the best in the world.
Got any recipes?
 
  • #7
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
18,704
1,717
See also - Recipes & Cooking

Actually, one will find a lot of food threads in GD.
 
  • #8
2,985
13
larkspur said:
Got any recipes?
No, but if you drive down to Maryland I will take you to a good resturant in Bathesda :biggrin:.
 
  • #9
turbo
Gold Member
3,077
45
Do you have a grill and a clamshell grilling basket with a fine wire mesh? If you do, here is today's recipe. Mix up a concoction of olive oil, dry red wine, ketchup, (insert favorite spicy salad dressing here - mine is Marie's Roasted Red Pepper Vinagarette), maybe some prepared mustard, the juice of one fresh lemon, molasses, some really hot habanero sauce, a crushed clove of garlic (or two), some oregano, freshly-ground black pepper, and salt. Mix them in approximately that order of decreasing amounts, tasting from time to time. That is your marinade. Thoroughly de-vein and de-shell some previously-frozen jumbo shrimp and marinate them in this for a few hours (or overnight), then cook them on your grill on high heat, painting them generously with the left-over marinade before and after turning. The molasses helps keep the seasonings stuck to the shrimp, while carmelizing nicely during cooking. When the thinner parts of the shrimp look crispy, open that grill basket and serve. Don't ask for specific quantities in the recipe. I don't measure, and you'll have to try this a few times to see what "by feel" proportions work for you. I can tell you that these grilled habanero shrimp never last more than a few minutes after they are served, so something must be going right. I grew up in a family of great cooks, so when you haul out a dish at a family gathering and it disappears in minutes with a crowd elbowing in for dibs, that is high praise. This one will make you popular at parties.
 
Last edited:
  • #10
George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,259
790
Evo said:
A friend and I were trying to find new recipes for lentils
Dahl? (extra char)
 
  • #11
Rach3
Mixed chopped fruit with yogurt, my favorite breakfast. Maybe:

chopped fresh fruit -
apples,
cantaloupe,
grapes,
orange slices,

topped with vanilla yogurt, in moderation as not to overwhelm the fruit. I discovered this combination at a cafe in Key West, off of Duval street, forgot the name.
 
  • #12
Rach3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puttanesca

I got lucky once and this came out incredibly good, very strong flavors of anchovies and black olives (no capers for me), concentrated by reducing over a full hour at low heat. Mine was with spaghetti though, not rigatoni as pictured in wikipedia's article. I supplemented the olive oil with the olive oil the anchovies were packed in, that may have affected things positively, I'm not certain. I've also tried a version at an upscale restaurant, too soft and muted for my taste though, my version was better.
 
  • #13
2,985
13
Rach3 said:
Mixed chopped fruit with yogurt, my favorite breakfast. Maybe:

chopped fresh fruit -
apples,
cantaloupe,
grapes,
orange slices,

topped with vanilla yogurt, in moderation as not to overwhelm the fruit. I discovered this combination at a cafe in Key West, off of Duval street, forgot the name.

Best breakfast, steak with runny eggs on top, oatmeal and 5-6 scrambled eggs. Protein +10.
 
  • #14
Rach3
cyrusabdollahi said:
Best breakfast, steak with runny eggs on top, oatmeal and 5-6 scrambled eggs. Protein +10.
Sounds lethal.
 
  • #15
2,985
13
Lethal?

Nope. It has all that your body needs for strength!
 
  • #16
JamesU
Gold Member
750
3
I ate at taco bell for lunch...it was nasty...


that's al I have to say about food
 
  • #17
Pengwuino
Gold Member
4,989
14
I just smoked some oil... disaster report soon to come
 
  • #18
Evo
Mentor
23,104
2,454
George Jones said:
Dahl? (extra char)
Dahl (dal) is great, but I wanted to get creative. I thought "lentil lasagna". He thought I was nuts. I found a lot of recipes online for it, but they all mostly turned out to be boring vegetable lasagna with lentils included. :frown:

This one sounded good though. I would use ricotta instead of cottage cheese. It calls for a tomato sauce, which I don't think sounds good with lentils. I'm trying to think of what might work.

Lentil Lasagna

Ingredients
9 lasagna noodles
1 pkg. frozen spinach
1 lb. cottage cheese
1/2 c. dry lentils
1 c. grated cheddar
1 c. grated mozzarella
1/2 c. Parmesan
large jar of spaghetti sauce (I use Prego or Classico)

Instructions
Cook lentils in boiling water for about 20 minutes, drain.
Thaw spinach in microwave, press out liquid. Cook noodles al dente.
Make layers in oblong baking pan as follows: sauce, noodles, sauce,
cottage cheese, lentils, spinach, cheddar & mozzarella, more sauce.
Cover top layer of noodles with sauce, sprinkle with Parmesan.
Bake at 375F for 30-35 minutes. Add 1/2 lb. sliced sauteed mushrooms
to sauce if desired. For variation use black beans instead of lentils.

Then I thought lentils and eggplant would be yummy together in a lentil version of Moussaka. Substitute the lentils for the meat. Or even just add lentils to the meat.

There is a Lentil cook-off August 19th!!! Who wants to enter with me?

http://www.lentilfest.com/DrawEvents.aspx?EventID=8 [Broken]

I'm still trying to figure out some creative (but not disgusting) lentil recipes.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #19
Evo
Mentor
23,104
2,454
turbo-1 said:
Do you have a grill and a clamshell grilling basket with a fine wire mesh? If you do, here is today's recipe. Mix up a concoction of olive oil, dry red wine, ketchup, (insert favorite spicy salad dressing here - mine is Marie's Roasted Red Pepper Vinagarette), maybe some prepared mustard, the juice of one fresh lemon, molasses, some really hot habanero sauce, a crushed clove of garlic (or two), some oregano, freshly-ground black pepper, and salt. Mix them in approximately that order of decreasing amounts, tasting from time to time. That is your marinade. Thoroughly de-vein and de-shell some previously-frozen jumbo shrimp and marinate them in this for a few hours (or overnight), then cook them on your grill on high heat, painting them generously with the left-over marinade before and after turning. The molasses helps keep the seasonings stuck to the shrimp, while carmelizing nicely during cooking. When the thinner parts of the shrimp look crispy, open that grill basket and serve. Don't ask for specific quantities in the recipe. I don't measure, and you'll have to try this a few times to see what "by feel" proportions work for you. I can tell you that these grilled habanero shrimp never last more than a few minutes after they are served, so something must be going right. I grew up in a family of great cooks, so when you haul out a dish at a family gathering and it disappears in minutes with a crowd elbowing in for dibs, that is high praise. This one will make you popular at parties.
I do a grilled skewered shrimp. Take two barbecue skewers (if you use bamboo, be sure to soak them in water first). Run the skewers through the front and rear portions of the shrimp so they hold their shape. Marinate them for at least 3 hours in a mixture of beer, soy sauce, lemon or lime juice, and crushed garlic. Grill over a slow fire until shrimp become opaque. Basting as they cook. Be sure to turn them frequently for even cooking.

You leave the shrimp on the skewers when served, resembling a satay.

I don't have measurements, I just "know" what amounts to use. Taste and adjust to your personal preferences. Anyone that likes shrimp will love this. If you want to be fancy, use white wine instead of the beer. Or omit the alcohol altogether.
 
Last edited:
  • #20
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
18,704
1,717
Evo said:
RE: Marinate them for at least 3 hours in a mixture of beer, soy sauce, lemon or lime juice, and crushed garlic.
Is this like a cup (8 oz) with tablespoons of soy sauce, and half of a squeezed lemon or lime? I prefer lime juice.

I like Tecate con cal, and that's 12 oz with maybe a quarter or eighth of a lime squeezed into it.


As for something with lentils - I do like dals - particularly curried dals.
Here is a good site with some recipes - http://www.indianfoodsco.com/Submit/lentilsDal.htm

Progresso has a Tomato Basil soup that might go well with lentils, rather than a spaghetti sauce.

One could try Lentil minestrone. :rolleyes:

With meat - lentil and lamb would be good, maybe with a little pineapple.
 
Last edited:
  • #21
Evo
Mentor
23,104
2,454
Astronuc said:
Is this like a cup (8 oz) with tablespoons of soy sauce, and half of a squeezed lemon or lime? I prefer lime juice.

I like Tecate con cal, and that's 12 oz with maybe a quarter or eighth of a lime squeezed into it.
I'm terrible, I judge by the amount of shrimp. For a pound of shrimp, you could use one bottle of beer and then season with the soy, lemon or lime, (to taste) and at least one clove of crushed garlic. You want enough liquid to cover the shrimp. Tequila would be awesome in this.

I also add beer and bay leaf to my chili. I need to put together my chili recipe. I cook by "feel". The girls keep asking to write down my recipes so they have them, although I'm not allowed to die. Yeah, like either one of them would enter a kitchen with the premeditation to cook from scratch. :cry: They just want the recipes so they can have other people cook for them. :frown:
 
  • #22
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
18,704
1,717
Evo said:
I'm terrible, I judge by the amount of shrimp. For a pound of shrimp, you could use one bottle of beer and then season with the soy, lemon or lime, (to taste) and at least one clove of crushed garlic. You want enough liquid to cover the shrimp. Tequila would be awesome in this.
OK, I can figure this out. Thanks!

Evo said:
I also add beer and bay leaf to my chili. I need to put together my chili recipe. I cook by "feel". The girls keep asking to write down my recipes so they have them, although I'm not allowed to die. Yeah, like either one of them would enter a kitchen with the premeditation to cook from scratch. :cry: They just want the recipes so they can have other people cook for them. :frown:
I start with a recipe, but improvise, or start from scratch, and do the 'little bit of this, little bit of that, pinch here, pinch there, . . .' - I go by feel, taste, consistency.

BTW, I prefer Prego to the other stuff.
 
  • #23
590
0
Well, this thread has certainly grown since my post .
Sadly, most of the recipes contributed have ingredients that are beyond my local market or are too expensive here at least, not to mention the difference in cuisine .So I don't think I (or my mum rather:biggrin: ) would be trying them for some time .
Anyway, I am always looking for simple recipes to satisfy my sweet tooth
(no use of chocolate bars or ice creams in the ingredients, they are good enough alone) .

Foodbites : The world's biggest food fight occurs annually in Spain, La Tomatina Valencia . Yes, you guessed it, it's the tomato street slug fest often showed on TV .
 
  • #24
J77
1,076
1
Really into my food from North Africa through to the Middle East - am living in a largely Islamic neighbourhood at the moment, so can source all the ingredients from the shops and market :smile:

Lots of lamb, cumin and coriander - a nice tagine takes some beating :smile:

Made a nice dip from roast aubergine, tahini, garlic and lemon juice the other day - perfect with some freshly baked flat-bread :smile:
 
  • #25
fuzzyfelt
Gold Member
751
4
J77 said:
Really into my food from North Africa through to the Middle East - am living in a largely Islamic neighbourhood at the moment, so can source all the ingredients from the shops and market :smile:

Lots of lamb, cumin and coriander - a nice tagine takes some beating :smile:

Made a nice dip from roast aubergine, tahini, garlic and lemon juice the other day - perfect with some freshly baked flat-bread :smile:
That sounds like a great baba mix! Also good is haloumi grilled on the BBQ-mmm!
 

Related Threads for: The Food Thread

  • Last Post
2
Replies
37
Views
5K
  • Last Post
18
Replies
438
Views
46K
  • Last Post
Replies
12
Views
2K
Replies
27
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
21
Views
3K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
34
Views
4K
  • Last Post
Replies
4
Views
2K
  • Last Post
3
Replies
56
Views
8K
Top