The JK flip flop nand gate circuit that I built does not simulate

In summary, the circuit looks ok to me but does not simulate. What do you mean by "does not simulate"?
NYAME EPHRAIM
Capture EEW.PNG

Attachments

• Capture EEW.PNG
    Capture EEW.PNG
    3.3 KB · Views: 2,179
Engineering news on Phys.org
Circuit looks ok to me. What do you mean by "does not simulate"?

I don't know if this is the problem as it depends on your simulator but...

If you built this circuit and powered it up what would the output state be? Q=1,0 or indeterminate?

@NYAME EPHRAIM -- is this for a schoolwork question or schoolwork project?

berkeman said:
@NYAME EPHRAIM -- is this for a schoolwork question or schoolwork project?
project it does not
CWatters said:
I don't know if this is the problem as it depends on your simulator but...

If you built this circuit and powered it up what would the output state be? Q=1,0 or indeterminate?
it does not even simulate in the first please

CWatters said:
Circuit looks ok to me. What do you mean by "does not simulate"?
it does not work when i simulate it, i don't know if the nand gates i used are the current gates or they are specifications ?

NYAME EPHRAIM said:
project it does not

well when you power it up the output should be zero, one you change the stat ot any J or K, then one of the outputs will be high, the you can use the clock pulse to change the output state, as you apply the pulse the output state change one side becoming high and the other low!

Last edited by a moderator:
NYAME EPHRAIM said:
well when you power it up the output should be zero, one you change the stat ot any J or K, then one of the outputs will be high, the you can use the clock pulse to change the output state, as you apply the pulse the output state change one side becoming high and the other low!
What software are you using to simulate it? Does the software have a way you can label all of the node voltages? How do you define the 2 inputs at the left?

If you put a vitruial oscilloscope on the clock input, do you see the clock that you expect?

make sure you can drive the leds with ttl or your cmos output, you may need a buffer and current limiting resistors. I'd try driving all the input gates high (including the clock) first to test the circuit.

do they still use logic pulsers, tracers and breadboards or am I old fashioned?

Likes CWatters
NYAME EPHRAIM said:
it does not work when i simulate it...

What does it do?

Are you applying signals to the JK inputs or are they fixed at 00?

NYAME EPHRAIM said:
well when you power it up the output should be zero, one...

Why?

A JK flip-flop is considerably more complex:
74LS76.jpg

Attachments

• 74LS76.jpg
    74LS76.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 1,951
Svein said:
Only if you want the "clear" and "set" inputs. As basic design the layout in post 1 should work. It https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/sequential/seq_2.html, however.

Likes CWatters
NYAME EPHRAIM said:

Does this mean the tool can't solve for the dc operating point before doing the transient simulation?
Something like what spice might do.
The tool might not be able to deal with the feedback paths and you might be required to specify an initial condition at each gates output.

Sadly the OP hasn't said what he means by it does not simulate. So its impossible to help him.

It is probably a simple problem.
Have you set the clock frequency and turned on the clock ?

Have you built a simple RS flip flop and made it work ?

Svein said:
View attachment 225532
Probably because the OP's circuit doesn't have Set and Clear inputs. Either way, unless the simulator is told what the initial state is, it can't know. A question I asked in an interview: What is the output state of such a circuit. Answer: Don't care. Actually, don't KNOW. If the output can detonate a bomb, you very much do care. You don't care what the J & K inputs are until you clock it, and if the inputs cause it to toggle, you still don't know what the outputs are.

That is an RS flip-flop.
Not a JK.
JK is based on RS but with much more lines.
You probably need to set initial output values in order to simulate, if the simulator supports it.
If R=1 and S=1, the result would be undetermined, and flipping between 0 and 1.

I think we are wasting unless the OP comes back and provides more information.

The fact that the initial state is indeterminate has been pointed out about five times so far.

I see no battery or power supply? There are no other parts, capacitors, resistors, diodes? What is the part number of the IC? Do google search for the part number you will find lots of circuit drawings online. Look up the part number is Cmos cookbook or TTL cookbook.

gary350 said:
I see no battery or power supply? There are no other parts, capacitors, resistors, diodes?
That is because the schematic is a logic simulation only, not hardware.

@ NYAME EPHRAIM, what is the simulation package ?
Does anyone recognise the simulation package. Is EEW a clue ?

If you want to simulate logic with a free open source package look here ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logisim
https://sourceforge.net/projects/circuit/?source=directory

Just a quick look - it seems to me that the OP circuit will oscillate when J=1, K=1 and Clock=1...

The OP hasn't answered previous questions or contributed to this thread for 6 days.

CWatters said:
The OP hasn't answered previous questions or contributed to this thread for 6 days.
Yes, and yet he just posted a new thread start in the schoolwork forums 30 minutes ago (which was deleted for several reasons). So it seems he may not be interested in this thread anymore for some reason... :headbang:

1. Why is my JK flip flop NAND gate circuit not simulating?

There could be several reasons why your circuit is not simulating. One common reason is that there may be a mistake in the circuit design or wiring. Check to make sure all connections are correct and the components are placed in the right locations.

2. How can I troubleshoot my JK flip flop NAND gate circuit?

First, check for any potential errors in the circuit design or wiring. If everything seems correct, try using different components or a different simulation software. You can also consult online resources or ask for help from other scientists or engineers.

3. Why is my JK flip flop NAND gate circuit showing unexpected results during simulation?

There may be a problem with the logic of your circuit. Double check your circuit design and ensure that the input signals are being correctly interpreted by the NAND gate and the JK flip flop. Additionally, check for any potential timing issues that could be causing unexpected results.

4. How do I know if my JK flip flop NAND gate circuit is working correctly?

You can verify the functionality of your circuit by comparing the simulation results to the expected truth table for a JK flip flop NAND gate circuit. If the results match, then your circuit is likely functioning correctly.

5. What should I do if my JK flip flop NAND gate circuit is still not simulating properly?

If you have exhausted all troubleshooting methods and your circuit is still not simulating correctly, it may be helpful to consult with a more experienced scientist or engineer. They may be able to spot any mistakes or offer alternative solutions.