Pressure at 1000°C for NH₄NO₃ Explosion in 0.80dm³

• Thread starter Fishingaxe
  • Start date
In summary, the given conversation discusses the calculation of pressure using the gas law theory in a sealed drillhole containing 100 grams of ammonium nitrate. The explosion of the compound produces 2 moles of N₂ gas, 1 mole of O₂ gas, and 4 moles of H₂O gas. The pressure is calculated using the ideal gas law equation P*V=n*R*T, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature. The pressure is found to be approximately 16539 kPa.
Fishingaxe

Homework Statement

In a sealed drillhole with volume 0.80 dm ³ are 100 grams of ammonium nitrate, NH ₄ NO ₃. The explosive can be made to explode and disintegrate by the formula:
2 NH ₄ NO ₃ (s) -> 2N ₂ (g) + O ₂ (g) + 4H ₂ O (g)
In the explosion moment - before the mountain exploded - there is a high pressure. What pressure gives the "gas law" theory, if the temperature is 1000 ° C?

Homework Equations

P*V=n*R*T

The Attempt at a Solution

P=?
V= 0.8dm^3=0.0008m^3
n= 100/80.043 = c.a 1.25mol
T = 1273.15 K
R= 8.314

1.25*8.314*1273.15= c.a 13231 = P*V

13231/0.0008 = 16539014 kPa (This is what I am very uncertain of, I assumed that because I made 0.8dm^3 to m^3 I thought that the answer became in kPa. I then divided 13231 by 0,8dm^3 and got ~16538 (This I thought would be kPa and obviously doesn't make sense then).
Can someone explain to me what is correct and why? I am a little bit confused.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Fishingaxe said:
n= 100/80.043 = c.a 1.25mol

That's the number of moles of ammonium nitrate, but that's not the number of moles of gases produced.

R= 8.314

What are units of R with this particular value?

There is no need to guess what your pressure is in, just follow the units step by step and in the end you will see what you have.

Borek said:
That's the number of moles of ammonium nitrate, but that's not the number of moles of gases produced.

What are units of R with this particular value?

There is no need to guess what your pressure is in, just follow the units step by step and in the end you will see what you have.

Now I think I understand why I made 0.8dm^3 to m^3. R is a constant with the value of 8.314 and for that constant to be relevant all volume need to me in m^3. Is this correct?

As for the gases produced, I know how many moles are in 2NH₄NO₃ but that is irrelevant because I should focus on the amount of moles in the produced gases which is 2N₂(g) + O₂(g) + 4H₂O(g)?
This is really hard for me, I had no problem in finding the molarmass of ammonium nitrate but when I try to find the molarmass of oxygen etc I find nothing. How do I go about calculating the amount of moles in the gases produced? Since there is 3 different gases how do I know how much of each is produced? (the 100g explosive I assume is divided somehow among the gases produced)

You don't need molar masses of these gases (besides: you don't "find" them you calculate them using atomic masses taken from the periodic table). All you need is the reaction stoichiometry - you know how many moles decomposed, so you should be able to calculate number of moles of gases produced. Compare

http://www.chembuddy.com/?left=balancing-stoichiometry&right=stoichiometric-calculations

You have not answered my question: what are units of the R constant of the given value?

Oh, it's energy (Joule). So the answer is in joules and not pa's? (My english is kind of bad so I didn't understand your question at first. Apologies)

Ye ur right, I am pretty much clueless. Thank you for the link!

1. What is the critical pressure for an NH₄NO₃ explosion at 1000°C in 0.80dm³?

The critical pressure for an NH₄NO₃ explosion at 1000°C in 0.80dm³ is approximately 130 MPa.

2. How does the pressure affect the explosion of NH₄NO₃ at 1000°C in 0.80dm³?

The pressure plays a crucial role in the explosion of NH₄NO₃ at 1000°C in 0.80dm³. As the pressure increases, the likelihood of an explosion also increases. At critical pressure, the explosion becomes imminent.

3. What causes the increase in pressure during an NH₄NO₃ explosion at 1000°C in 0.80dm³?

The increase in pressure during an NH₄NO₃ explosion at 1000°C in 0.80dm³ is mainly due to the rapid release of gases, such as nitrogen and water vapor, as well as the expansion of the surrounding air. This sudden increase in pressure creates a shockwave that can cause significant damage.

4. Can the pressure at 1000°C for NH₄NO₃ explosion in 0.80dm³ be controlled?

Yes, the pressure at 1000°C for NH₄NO₃ explosion in 0.80dm³ can be controlled by keeping the temperature and volume of the reactants constant. This can be achieved by carefully monitoring the reaction conditions and adjusting them accordingly.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when handling NH₄NO₃ at high temperatures and pressures?

When handling NH₄NO₃ at high temperatures and pressures, it is essential to take proper safety precautions to prevent an explosion. This can include wearing protective gear, working in a well-ventilated area, and following proper handling and storage procedures. It is also crucial to monitor the pressure and temperature during the reaction to ensure they do not reach critical levels.