Theory for acceleration of a cart: lab experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab experiment in which students are asked to verify Newton's Second Law by comparing data from an experiment to a theory. The experiment involves a cart of unknown mass on a horizontal track with a hanging mass attached. The students are struggling with solving for acceleration in the theory portion of the experiment due to unknown values for rolling friction coefficient and the mass of the cart. The conversation also includes equations and a diagram to show the student's attempt at solving the problem. However, without knowing the values for these unknown variables, the student is unable to fully solve for acceleration.
Ascrapper

Homework Statement

In a lab experiment in my introductory physics class, we are asked to verify Newton's Second Law by taking data from an experiment and then comparing that data to a theory. We are given a cart of unknown mass m[itex]_{}1[/itex] is put on a horizontal track with a string attached over a pulley to a hanging mass m[itex]_{}2[/itex]. It is given that both masses are moving as one system and therefore have the same acceleration. My problem lies with the theory part of this experiment: how am I supposed to solve for the acceleration with known values? Let the acceleration of the system be a, the rolling frictional force f[itex]_{}r[/itex], the coefficient of rolling friction μ[itex]_{}r[/itex], the normal force F[itex]_{}N[/itex], the tension in the string T, and the acceleration due to gravity g.
This picture is similar to what our experiment looks like: http://www.physicssource.ca/images/cart_forcesensor_track.gif

Homework Equations

Newton's Second Law, F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Perhaps there is something intuitive about the mass of the cart and the coefficient of rolling friction that I am not seeing but I just can't figure it out. Here is what I have so far:

First I set up a free body diagram of the mass of the cart m[itex]_{}1[/itex] to show that:
ƩF[itex]_{}x[/itex]=f[itex]_{}r[/itex]-T=m[itex]_{}1[/itex]*a (Equation 1)
ƩF[itex]_{}y[/itex]=F[itex]_{}N[/itex]-m[itex]_{}1[/itex]*g=0, So F[itex]_{}N[/itex]=m[itex]_{}1[/itex]*g
Also, we know that f[itex]_{}r[/itex]=μ[itex]_{}r[/itex]*F[itex]_{}N[/itex], So f[itex]_{}r[/itex]=μ[itex]_{}r[/itex]*m[itex]_{}1[/itex]*g

Now I set up a free body diagram of the hanging mass to show:
ƩF[itex]_{}x[/itex]=0
ƩF[itex]_{}y[/itex]=T-m[itex]_{}2[/itex]*g, so T=m[itex]_{}2[/itex]*(g+a)

Substituting all back into Equation 1:
μ[itex]_{}r[/itex]*m[itex]_{}1[/itex]*g-m[itex]_{}2[/itex]*(g+a)=m[itex]_{}1[/itex]*a
μ[itex]_{}r[/itex]*m[itex]_{}1[/itex]*g-m[itex]_{}2[/itex]*g-m[itex]_{}2[/itex]*a=m[itex]_{}1[/itex]*a
g*(μ[itex]_{}r[/itex]*m[itex]_{}1[/itex]-m[itex]_{}2[/itex])=a*(m[itex]_{}1[/itex]+m[itex]_{}2[/itex])
(g*(μ[itex]_{}r[/itex]*m[itex]_{}1[/itex]+m[itex]_{}2[/itex]))/(m[itex]_{}1[/itex]+m[itex]_{}2[/itex])=a

This is where I am stuck: How am I to get rid of or solve for these two unknown values μ[itex]_{}r[/itex] and m[itex]_{}1[/itex]?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Except for a minus sign I got what you have. I'm guessing you measure acceleration and are supposed to figure out m1? Without knowing μ_r you have done as much as you can.

1. What is the purpose of the "Theory for acceleration of a cart" lab experiment?

The purpose of this lab experiment is to study the relationship between the acceleration of a cart and the force applied to it, as described by Newton's Second Law of Motion.

2. What materials are needed for the lab experiment?

The materials needed for this lab experiment may include a cart, a track, a force sensor, computer software, and various weights.

3. How do you calculate the acceleration of the cart in this lab experiment?

The acceleration of the cart can be calculated by dividing the net force on the cart by its mass, as stated by Newton's Second Law: acceleration = net force / mass.

4. What factors may affect the results of the lab experiment?

The results of the lab experiment may be affected by factors such as friction, air resistance, and the accuracy of the equipment used.

5. What are some potential sources of error in this lab experiment?

Potential sources of error in this lab experiment may include human error in measuring and recording data, equipment malfunctions, and external factors such as air currents or uneven surfaces.