Troubleshooting Mass Flow Rates for CH4 Reaction with Air and Fuel

In summary, The mass flow rate of the air (the O2+3.76N2) is 25kg/s and the mass flow rate of the fuel is .87 kg/s. I am having the hardest time finding, using these mass flow rates, the number of moles of each product I have. Any help is appreciated.
Jacob87411
I have this reaction:

CH4+4(O2+3.76) --> CO2+2H2O+2O2+15.04N2

Through other calculations and given information I have found that the mass flow rate of the air (the O2+3.76N2) is 25kg/s and the mass flow rate of the fuel is .87 kg/s. I am having the hardest time finding, using these mass flow rates, the number of moles of each product I have. Any help is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Mass flow rates are given in kg/second, and the similarly you would get moles/second when converted into moles.

How would you normally convert 1kg of O2 into moles of O2?

Hint: 1kg/sec x moles/kg = moles/sec

So if I have 25 kg/s of air and air is 21% O2 I have (.21*25kg/s) gives kg/s of O2. Then (.21*25 kg/s)/32 = N_O2? Similarly ((.79*25kg/s)(3.76N2))/28 gives N_N2

How would it work for CO2 for example? Do I find the amount of moles of C, then use the fact that 25% of the moles of oxygen are paired with the C?

Get the kilograms/sec of each molecule using the mass percentages. Then convert it into moles/sec using that substance's molar mass.

For example the molecule CO2 has a molar mass of (C)12.01+(O)16.00+(O)16.00=44.01 grams per mole.

Ok this is what I got (I really appreciate the help by the way):
CO2=44 g/mole
H2O=18 g/mole
O2=32 g/mole
N2=28 g/mole

Total mass of exhaust=565/12
massfractionCO2=.077
massfractionH2O=.064
massfractionO2=.113
massfractioN2=.745

Mass flow of exhaust=mass flow air + mass flow fuel = 25.87 so i take the mass fractions from above and multiply them by that and they give:

CO2=2.00kg/s
H2O=.1.65kg/s
O2=2.92kg/s
N2=19.27 kg/s

And I know for example 1 mole of CO2=44 grams so 2.00 kg/s = 45.45 moles of CO2/s? Is this all correct?

Last edited:
Just make sure you carefully check each of your mass flow results for each substance (as I haven't checked them). The concept is correct, and yes 2kg/s of CO2 is equivalent to approx 45 moles/s of CO2. =)

1. What is a "Thermo Problem"?

A "Thermo Problem" refers to a problem or situation related to thermodynamics, which is the branch of science that deals with the study of heat and its transformation into other forms of energy.

2. Why is a "Thermo Problem" considered desperate?

A "Thermo Problem" may be considered desperate because it can be challenging and complex, requiring a thorough understanding of thermodynamics principles and equations to solve.

3. What are some common examples of "Thermo Problems"?

Some common examples of "Thermo Problems" include calculating the efficiency of a heat engine, determining the change in entropy during a chemical reaction, and finding the final temperature of a mixture of two substances with different temperatures.

4. How do scientists approach solving a "Thermo Problem"?

Scientists typically approach solving a "Thermo Problem" by first identifying the known quantities and then using thermodynamics principles and equations to determine the unknown variables. They may also use experimental data or simulations to verify their solutions.

5. What are some practical applications of solving "Thermo Problems"?

Solving "Thermo Problems" has many practical applications, including designing more efficient engines and power plants, understanding and predicting chemical reactions, and developing new technologies for energy storage and conversion.