Thermodynamics, energy, work, heat problem

In summary: So in summary, the water will reach a final temperature of 298.15 K after being heated using an immersion heater.
edsuave
a system consisting of 73.2g of liquid water at 298k is heated using an immersion heater at a constant pressure of 1.00bar. if a current of 2.25A passes through the 10 ohm resistor for 125s, what is the final temp of the water?

im having trouble finding temp?
i found power and work using P = IR^2 and work = P/t
but I am stuck, i initially thought i should use PV = nRT but i have too many unknowns
please help asap

Moderator's Note: Multiple Threads Merged

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
edsuave said:
a system consisting of 73.2g of liquid water at 298k is heated using an immersion heater at a constant pressure of 1.00bar. if a current of 2.25A passes through the 10 ohm resistor for 125s, what is the final temp of the water?

im having trouble finding temp?
i found power and work using P = IR^2 and work = P/t

You should re-check that equation for work. It's not quite right.

The key is that the work is entirely converted into heat energy. So you'll need an equation that relates heat energy to temperature change.

... i initially thought i should use PV = nRT ...

Nope. That equation is for an ideal gas. The water is a liquid here.

i know Heat = mass * Cp * change in temperature but how does the power relationship tie into this?

What is specific heat of a substance? Do you know the definition?

Q=nC(Tf-Ti) i believe C is the specific heat

Rather for water (liquid) we can write Q = mC (Tf - Ti)

You have calculated Q, See for specific heat of water, it is a constant and calculate !

edsuave said:
i know Heat = mass * Cp * change in temperature
Good, that's right. Keep that one in mind.

but how does the power relationship tie into this?
There's another useful equation relating energy, power and time. See my previous comment about re-checking an equation you wrote in post #1.

You start with liquid water at 298 K - what will happen to it when it is heated?

The formula you have Q = mC (Tf - Ti) only works if the heat capacity is constant throughout the range of temperatures. It might be close enough approximation in this case, if that's what your professor told you then use that equation. But in a general snse, you have to integrate from Tf to Ti...

kingkool said:
The formula you have Q = mC (Tf - Ti) only works if the heat capacity is constant throughout the range of temperatures.

We usually consider C to be a constant in introductory physics problems. :smile:

(And it is constant to within about 0.1% in this case.)

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the relationship between heat, energy, and work. It studies how these factors affect the behavior of physical systems, such as gases, liquids, and solids.

What is energy?

Energy is the ability of a physical system to do work. It can come in various forms, such as thermal, kinetic, potential, and chemical energy. In thermodynamics, energy is often measured in joules (J).

What is work in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, work is defined as the transfer of energy from one system to another. It is typically measured in joules (J) and can be done by mechanical, electrical, or other means. Work is an important concept in thermodynamics as it helps determine the efficiency of a system.

What is heat in thermodynamics?

Heat is a form of energy that is transferred from one system to another due to a temperature difference. It can be measured in joules (J) or calories (cal). In thermodynamics, heat is important in understanding the transfer of energy between systems and the change in temperature that occurs.

What is the heat problem in thermodynamics?

The heat problem in thermodynamics refers to the challenge of converting heat energy into useful work. According to the second law of thermodynamics, heat cannot be completely converted into work, as some energy will always be lost during the process. This poses a challenge in terms of increasing the efficiency of energy systems.