Thermodynamics ethanol Question

In summary, a student mixed 41.8g of ethanol at 15.8 C with 50.7 g of water at 49.2 C, resulting in a solution with a temperature of 28.4 C. To find the specific heat capacity of the ethanol, the equation 28.4C = (41.8*15.8*X - 49.2*50.7*4.184)/(X*41.8+50.7*4.184) was rearranged and solved for X. The resulting answer was correct, but may seem complicated for a multiple choice question.
theLiminator

Homework Statement

A student mixes 41.8g of ethanol at 15.8 C with 50.7 g of water at 49.2 C. If the resulting temperature of the solution is 28.4 C, what is the specific heat capacity of the ethanol?

Homework Equations

Given heat capacity of water already.

The Attempt at a Solution

let X = heat capacity of ethanol
38.4C = (41.8*15.8*X - 49.2*50.7*4.184)/(X*41.8+50.7*4.184)
i just rearranged and solved for X. I did get the correct answer, however it seems too ugly for a simple MC question.

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess 38.4C is meant to be 28.4C. If so it looks OK to me - that is assuming you got signs right, but if the result is correct you probably did. And I am not aware of a simpler method of getting the answer.

--
methods

1. What is the chemical formula for ethanol?

Ethanol has the chemical formula C2H6O.

2. Is ethanol a renewable resource?

Yes, ethanol is considered a renewable resource because it is produced from plants such as corn, sugarcane, and switchgrass.

3. How is ethanol used in thermodynamics?

Ethanol can be used as a fuel in engines, and its combustion can be studied in thermodynamics to understand its energy conversion properties.

4. What is the difference between ethanol and gasoline?

Ethanol is a type of alcohol, while gasoline is a fossil fuel derived from petroleum. Ethanol is typically used as a blend with gasoline in fuel for vehicles.

5. Can ethanol be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, ethanol can be converted into other forms of energy through combustion or fermentation. It can also be used to produce electricity through fuel cells.