Thermodynamics, Heat transfer question

In summary, the conversation revolved around solving a thermodynamics question involving heat transfer, internal energy, temperature, and pressure. The question involved finding the final temperature, work transfer, and change in internal energy for a given process. The question was divided into two parts, with the first part being isobaric and the second part being adiabatic. The conversation also touched upon the ideal gas law and its application in solving the question. There was also a discussion about a possible typo in the given value of the gamma coefficient.
Mathy
I have done a series of thermodynamics questions covering heat transfer, internal energy, temperature pressure etc. I have a new one but I am unsure how to start it, its unlclear whether i know certain things. I can do the question form looking back at pervious questions, if i knew how to start.

0.36m cubed of air at a pressure of 1.1MN/m2 and 339k is given an energy of 3.4MJ by means of heating at a constant pressure. The air is then allowed to expand to a volume of 1.44m3 according to the law pv power of 12= a constant.

For each process calculate the final temperature, the work tarnsfer and the change in internal energy.

I am assuming the question is two parts, and therefore i don't know
temperature two/final temp or volume 2. that's why I am unsure how to get the final volume

how would i find the final temperature in order to carry out the rest of the question?

any help whould be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you clarify on the "law pv power of 12 = a constant" part? Does this mean you have

[tex]PV^1^2 = constant [/tex]

Yes indeed

mezarashi said:
Could you clarify on the "law pv power of 12 = a constant" part? Does this mean you have

[tex]PV^1^2 = constant [/tex]

Yes that's it. but i also made a mistake with my phrasing, i want to know the final temperature, not the final volume. The question asks for the final temperature. I am not sure because i don't know temp final but i also don't seem to know v2 either.

I'd just like to note that I've never seen such a high gamma coefficient before :P
Assume the ideal gas law holds at all times.
For the first process, which is isobaric, we can write (as we always can):

[tex]\Delta U = Q - W[/tex]

Q is given, and [tex]W = \int P dV [/tex]
where P is constant making it quite easy. The following calorimetric equation also holds at constant pressure [tex]Q = nC_p \Delta T[/tex]

Using the ideal gas law, you can then find all the other parameters.

Implicitly stated in the second process is that it is adiabatic, so that:

[tex] PV^\gamma = constant[/tex]

Combining with the ideal gas law, you can derive:

[tex]T_1V_1^{\gamma-1} = T_2V_2^{\gamma-1}[/tex]

From the previous step you should have the initial temperature and volume. The final volume is given.

Thanks should help

Yes those all seem familiar, i have used them in questions but i am still not familiar with the thermodynamics physics enough to tackle any question straight off. i know enough once i get started, so thanks i think that will be fine. I let you know how i get on

I'm almost certain that "12" is a typo for "1.2"

[itex]\gamma=12[/itex] is theoretically impossible.

[tex]\gamma = C_p/C_v = 1 + \frac{R}{C_v} [/tex]

But the equipartition theorem tells us that [itex]C_v = nR/2 [/itex], where n is an integer denoting the number of degrees of freedom that contribute to the internal energy. So, [itex]R/C_v = 2/n [/itex] and can be at most 2, so [itex]\gamma[/itex] can be no larger than 3.

I now know that for the first part i need to get final temperature then put it into u=mCVdt dt=(t2-t1) cv=0.718 then Q=U+W I think w is simply the enrgy stated at the start 3.4 MJ = 3400KJ so Q=U+3400KJ then i find change in internal enrgy with:
can anynone tell me whether this is right. I am still unsure how to get the final temperature for process one too. I am struggling as it seems i don't know v2 for process one or t2, are either of them just the same as the v1 or v2?

ps yes its right there was a typo its was pv 1.2 not 12

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, energy, and work. It is concerned with the behavior of systems at the macroscopic level, such as gases, liquids, and solids.

2. What is heat transfer?

Heat transfer is the process of transferring thermal energy from one object or substance to another. This can occur through conduction, convection, or radiation.

3. How does thermodynamics apply to everyday life?

Thermodynamics plays a crucial role in many everyday activities, such as cooking, driving a car, and using electronic devices. It helps us understand how energy is converted and transferred, and how different systems behave under various conditions.

4. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat and temperature are often used interchangeably, but they are actually different concepts. Heat is a form of energy, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance.

5. How do thermodynamics and heat transfer relate to each other?

Thermodynamics and heat transfer are closely related, as they both deal with the movement and transfer of energy. Thermodynamics provides the fundamental principles that govern heat transfer, while heat transfer applications help us understand and apply thermodynamic concepts.